Debating between 1Zpresso JX Pro and Lagom P64/Niche

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Zeldoom

#1: Post by Zeldoom »

Hi there.
I am new here and would like to hear your advices.
I am using my Cafelat Robot with my 1Zpresso JX Pro, mainly for medium roast, and making 90% cortado. 1-2 cups a day.
Lately I started to get tired of manual grinding and considered to buy an electric grinder.
The 2 grinders( for now) I consider right now is the Option-O Lagom P64 with HU SSP Burrs and Niche Zero.
I am looking for a better clarity in my cup but want the the body and mouthfeel will be the same as I am getting them from my conical burr grinder.
Of course the Lagom is superior grinder but I am asking myself if I should really buy it.. for medium roast espresso/cortado.. will it give a good mouthfeel and better clarity then the Niche Zero?
The budget is not a big issue. I just don't want to buy a grinder that will be beyond my needs.

Quester

#2: Post by Quester »

Seeking mouthfeel and clarity is a little like trying to walk in opposite directions. Having said that, I thought the Versalab M4 was a nice compromise.

"Clarity" and the Niche don't go together. It's a delightful grinder to use and will make lovely cortados, but there's low flavor separation.

The P64 (I've not owned one) may be a nice option for you because you can try different burrs.

There are people here who are fans of the Lagom Mini from the same company (Option -O). Check out some of the videos online.

gongfugang

#3: Post by gongfugang »

My vote would be the P64 with Mizen burrs. I've been trying them out for the last few weeks and have been getting a surprising amount of body for the level of clarity. Plus, as a previous poster said, with the P64 you always have the option to change burrs later.

Zeldoom (original poster)

#4: Post by Zeldoom (original poster) »

Isnt the Mizen burrs give less body and texture?

gongfugang

#5: Post by gongfugang replying to Zeldoom »

No one seemed to be sure exactly what they'd be like since people just started getting their hands on them, but in my experience with them I'm getting more body than expected.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Pressino »

Zeldoom wrote:Hi there.
I am new here and would like to hear your advices.
I am using my Cafelat Robot with my 1Zpresso JX Pro, mainly for medium roast, and making 90% cortado. 1-2 cups a day.
Lately I started to get tired of manual grinding and considered to buy an electric grinder....Thanks :)
If you really like what you're getting with the JX-Pro and just want a motorized grinder to do the work, you definitely want a conical burr grinder probably in the range of 47 to 62mm burr size. Something like the Arco might do the trick at a lower price than the Niche. The Niche, however is a great grinder.

I agree with comments that "clarity" and "mouthfeel" (as defined by coffee tasters) tend to be at cross purposes. Clarity seems to be related to grind size uniformity, which tends to be tighter with flat burrs than conicals, though of course the actual burr geometry is an important variable.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Milligan »

I think if you like medium espresso roasts and cortados then a Niche makes sense. The P64 is 2x the price and is often bought for clarity so you'll need to weigh if that is worth it to you.