Dalla Corte Mina, Marzocco GS/3, Synesso ES1, SanRemo YOU, help me pick?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
sammsoon

#1: Post by sammsoon »

After almost 7 years with my Ecm Synchronika and 7000 shots later my Ecm is starting to break down. I'm starting to look at my next machine and I have my final list.

I want a machine capable of pressure profiling. I want to buy a quality product that will hopefully last me many years. I would ideally move away from an E61 group head.

We drink everything in our house, from espressos to lattes and everything in between. I will have my machine plumbed as I am already setup.

I am really worried about the quality of all these new machines because of all the electronics and screens. But at the same time, all this new tech makes it easier.

The gs3 is on my list because it's seems like it is built to last... built like a tank. But people complain about how difficult it is to profile coffee's constantly.

The Dalla Corte Mina seems like an interesting product, but I would like to get more feedback from users, how reliable are they etc. Is it already outdated? My next 2 have screens on the machines, no need for an app...

The Synesso Es1 seems like the one I'm leaning towards although it's not even released. Many comments online are positive on the quality of their products, it SEEMS like the one one that has everything I want, but maybe I am missing something?

The San Remo You is something completely new to me, to be honest, I just heard of this brand yesterday and I watched a couple of videos on YouTube yesterday. If someone has used it, or is well informed about this machine, I would appreciate your input.

Thank you

NelisB

#2: Post by NelisB »

The Mina is not a pressure profile machine, it's a flow profile machine.

sammsoon (original poster)

#3: Post by sammsoon (original poster) »

Thank you for the reply! I guess I am down to 3...

boren

#4: Post by boren »

Is flow-profiling inferior to pressure-profiling?

dockoelboto

#5: Post by dockoelboto »

I have had personal experience with the ES1 and honestly it is an impressive machine. If I decide to "upgrade" it would likely be to that. Personally I love the fit and finish and the biggest selling point for me is the hot water "tea" tap. I drink a lot of americanos and my wife loves tea. Having a useful hot water tap would be amazing. The pressure profiling on the ES1 is fine and likely more than adequate but isn't a fully manual experience like others may or do have. But my guess is the ES1 will be built to last and more importantly be reproducible. Biggest issue is it remains unavailable - allegedly this winter/spring. I email with the group periodically and they are still saying that is the expected window. Cost is going to be another major issue.

I have looked at the Sanremo You. I have no personal experience with it and others on this site have been impressed. I'll be honest, I have been very turned off by the US vs EU pricing - there is a huge difference. They have lowered the price a bit in the US but you can still purchase the You for significantly less from the EU. Shouldn't matter as long as you buy from ECS but then I worry about returns/service in the US. I live in WA state - I can drive to Synesso if there is an issue.

I have a gear pump (EMP) modded LMLM - I have full pressure profiling which I absolutely love. I have no experience with the GS3 but unless you plumb the machine in be prepared to fill the water tank often if you plan to pressure profile. Personally I don't like the look of the GS3 and greatly prefer the LMLM but again, that is just my opinion. The GS3 will likely be a fantastic durable machine as long as you reasonably care for it. You pay a premium for La Marzocco name but they make fantastic products.

No experience with the Dalla Corte Mina - sorry.

Not sure if this helps but good luck on your search.

#6: Post by sammsoon (original poster) »

After watching a video on YouTube, I understand the difference between pressure vs flow profiling. I think the San Remo and possibly the Synesso are still in the lead du to the fact that you don't need your phone to program any changes.

#7: Post by sammsoon (original poster) »

dockoelboto wrote:I have had personal experience with the ES1 and honestly it is an impressive machine. If I decide to "upgrade" it would likely be to that. Personally I love the fit and finish and the biggest selling point for me is the hot water "tea" tap. I drink a lot of americanos and my wife loves tea. Having a useful hot water tap would be amazing. The pressure profiling on the ES1 is fine and likely more than adequate but isn't a fully manual experience like others may or do have. But my guess is the ES1 will be built to last and more importantly be reproducible. Biggest issue is it remains unavailable - allegedly this winter/spring. I email with the group periodically and they are still saying that is the expected window. Cost is going to be another major issue.

I have looked at the Sanremo You. I have no personal experience with it and others on this site have been impressed. I'll be honest, I have been very turned off by the US vs EU pricing - there is a huge difference. They have lowered the price a bit in the US but you can still purchase the You for significantly less from the EU. Shouldn't matter as long as you buy from ECS but then I worry about returns/service in the US. I live in WA state - I can drive to Synesso if there is an issue.

I have a gear pump (EMP) modded LMLM - I have full pressure profiling which I absolutely love. I have no experience with the GS3 but unless you plumb the machine in be prepared to fill the water tank often if you plan to pressure profile. Personally I don't like the look of the GS3 and greatly prefer the LMLM but again, that is just my opinion. The GS3 will likely be a fantastic durable machine as long as you reasonably care for it. You pay a premium for La Marzocco name but they make fantastic products.

No experience with the Dalla Corte Mina - sorry.

Not sure if this helps but good luck on your search.
Thank you, I am really looking forwards to the release of the ES1. Hopefully local dealers will have it here so I can see it for myself.

Michael_D

#8: Post by Michael_D »

I created an account to post a very similar question, but you are a step ahead of me. On my short list of new machines is the machine you are replacing.... My current machine is a La Spaziale, V2. I've had that machine on my counter for the past 10 years, and recently had to replace a heating element. That got me thinking of upgrading and keeping the V2 as a backup machine.

My initial budget was 4K. The ECM Sync was at the top of my shortlist, mostly due to its reputation as a high-quality and reliable product. Then I started looking at the new LM Micra, also 4K price point. That thing is simply too small and I'm interested in manual flow (or pressure) control. I'd rather have the Mini - but at an additional 2K, and still no flow control? Then I started looking at the GS3 with MP. Now I'm at 8K.... Might as well look at a Slayer. I'm feeling that this could be a slippery slope and end up costing me a lot more money than I had originally planned to spend.

The Synesso ES1 is not a machine I was aware of. It does look like it puts an X in all the boxes of interest. Any idea what the price will be for that machine? The specs call out a weight of 80 pounds. That's a hefty machine. Is there better places to find info on that machine, other than the Sysesso website?

Capuchin Monk

#9: Post by Capuchin Monk »

sammsoon wrote:The Synesso Es1 seems like the one I'm leaning towards although it's not even released. Many comments online are positive on the quality of their products, it SEEMS like the one one that has everything I want, but maybe I am missing something?
I did a search on Synesso ES1 and thought I was looking at Decent Espresso. Yeah, they do resemble a lot in appearance. Speaking of Decent, have you given it a thought?

#10: Post by sammsoon (original poster) »

Michael_D wrote:I created an account to post a very similar question, but you are a step ahead of me. On my short list of new machines is the machine you are replacing.... My current machine is a La Spaziale, V2. I've had that machine on my counter for the past 10 years, and recently had to replace a heating element. That got me thinking of upgrading and keeping the V2 as a backup machine.

My initial budget was 4K. The ECM Sync was at the top of my shortlist, mostly due to its reputation as a high-quality and reliable product. Then I started looking at the new LM Micra, also 4K price point. That thing is simply too small and I'm interested in manual flow (or pressure) control. I'd rather have the Mini - but at an additional 2K, and still no flow control? Then I started looking at the GS3 with MP. Now I'm at 8K.... Might as well look at a Slayer. I'm feeling that this could be a slippery slope and end up costing me a lot more money than I had originally planned to spend.

The Synesso ES1 is not a machine I was aware of. It does look like it puts an X in all the boxes of interest. Any idea what the price will be for that machine? The specs call out a weight of 80 pounds. That's a hefty machine. Is there better places to find info on that machine, other than the Sysesso website?
Hey Michael,

I really do think in term of quality, Synesso is on top with other big players, I really do like the San Remo also, However, i think for parts and serviceability I am better off with the Synesso. Both of them have similar capabilities. What's attractive about the San Remo is its price, I believe in the USA it is around 7k. The Synesso will be around 8-9k. I know this is a lot of money for an espresso machine, but i have pulled over 7k espresso shots on my ECM. When i do the math I feel better about spending that type of money as I see it as a long term investment.

For more info on the Synesso ES1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcmmhaMq2uQ

For more info on the San Remo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKRz-Yd8sFc

Let me know what route you take!