Dalla Corte Mina in the USA vs Rocket R9 One vs Other? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
YarivK

#11: Post by YarivK »

Also, note that the render has no plastic tubes or electric wires so real life is not that clean :)
Nonetheless, having looked inside - while it is not as shiny and wireless it is a very clean design.

Tonefish

#12: Post by Tonefish »

Congrats on your purchase decision. Of all the machines costing over a few thousand dollars, this is the only one worth buying, in my opinion, of course ... although I do wish it were a 58mm. The Decent may be able to operate very similarly, but this one is not thermoblock, as is the Decent. Great choice!

BTW, the WLL video shows good shots of the internals when they discuss the DC factory people training them at the WLL site. They also show that WLL was made the exclusive Mina dealer for the US (1:51).
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Thermosiphon (original poster)

#13: Post by Thermosiphon (original poster) »

Tonefish wrote:Congrats on your purchase decision. Of all the machines costing over a few thousand dollars, this is the only one worth buying, in my opinion, of course ... although I do wish it were a 58mm.
My machine arrived today, 4 days from NY to CA. And it arrived in pristine condition! I'm soooo excited...about to brew my first drink.

With respect to your concern: Whole Latte Love has 54->58mm conversion kit in stock even though it doesn't appear on their website. Let's just say it doesn't take much to convince them to ship it out on the same pallet with your new Mina :wink: It's also super easy to install! (which consists of unscrewing the shower screen and brass diffusion disc from the 54mm stock machine and screwing in the 58mm version that comes in the kit made by Dalla Corte.)
Cheers,
Bill

NelisB

#14: Post by NelisB »

Congrats!! Please keep posting your findings!

johnX

#15: Post by johnX »

What a wow! The Dalla Corte sounds like one heck of a machine.

raidensix

#16: Post by raidensix »

Is the Mina plumb out only or can you stick with just the drip tray.

YarivK

#17: Post by YarivK replying to raidensix »

Plumb out only, unless you improvise something.

#18: Post by Thermosiphon (original poster) »

raidensix wrote:Is the Mina plumb out only or can you stick with just the drip tray.
To be fair, the drip tray is fully removable and not attached to plumb out box; you would just have to fill in the hole on the bottom of the drip tray and then you could empty it like any other drip tray. However, it is VERY shallow because it is not meant for this purpose. (I will also admit the Mina has the cheapest drip tray of any machine I've ever owned except for my very first Mr. Coffee. The drip tray construction is similar to that of a Nuova Simonelli Musica.. plastic, light, flimsy, and a little bit too small to catch all errant drips and drops.)

I would love the folks here at HB to review the Mina. Once I have had it a few months I will review it myself as well.
Cheers,
Bill

raidensix

#19: Post by raidensix »

I see, that's a bummer. Any idea if a short drain hose to a nearby undermount sink (less than 3 ft) would work?

#20: Post by Thermosiphon (original poster) replying to raidensix »

I have my drain hose going out the back of the machine and behind the sideboard that the machine sits on to a hidden 3 gallon tub that I periodically empty. It requires drilling no holes. The drain hose that comes with the machine has a plastic zip tie like device and it works really well as long as the drain goes down the whole time and is never at any point horizontal.
Cheers,
Bill