Currently best espresso scale

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
theswede

#1: Post by theswede »

Hi,

I'm looking for a scale for use with my Expobar machine. I need something that can be used for weight in/out and that does not break down in a month or two; preferably something that also gives value for the buck (but that is also very relative, high reliability and long lifespan on an expensive product may as well be bang for the buck).

I've read about Acaia Lunar and I have also seen Hario Brewista Smart Scale 2, from what I have seen/understood it seems like both are having plenty of issues. Firmware not beeing updated and poor for espresso (Acaia Lunar), unreliable/too large etc regarding the SS2. It is very hard to understand if these are real claims or if they are really excellent products, so here comes the question.

What should I get? The Acaia, Hario, or maybe something completely different that I haven't stumbled across yet? Specifically the need is for espresso as I pointed out, I do some pour over but it is very limited in comparison to the espresso and will remain that way for the foreseable future

thirdshifter

#2: Post by thirdshifter »

Get the Hiroia Jimmy Scale and let us all know what you think of it!

theswede (original poster)

#3: Post by theswede (original poster) replying to thirdshifter »

Seems pretty interesting, but I do not fancy the detachable part.

I also stumbled across Felicita Arc, maybe that is an option as well?

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

I'm not sure what the problems are supposed to be with the Lunar? I've used mine for about three years now with zero problems.
LMWDP #435

guydebord

#5: Post by guydebord replying to [creative nickname] »

Same here. My Lunar is one of the best investments I have made in the game. I would buy it again and again. Without doubt the best espresso scale at the moment.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

HoldTheOnions

#6: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I had brewista and it was piece of junk, auto features were so unreliable I gave up trying to use them. Brewista 2 appears to have same issues but never used one. I just ordered this one as I'm ok at this point with having to push a button to start timer https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Scale-Wat ... 07JG1PXLC/ Will see how it goes.

Orcasite

#7: Post by Orcasite »

I also have a Lunar, and it has worked flawlessly. It is expensive, but I think very much worth the money. The battery goes on forever, and I charge it every once in a while whenever my anxiety about the state of its charge gets high enough, but it has never not worked as expected. I also like the feature set, and the software update a month or two back, added some nice touches.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#8: Post by mivanitsky »

I have a Felicita Arc, and it seems excellent after about 5 weeks of use. It seems functionally identical to an Acaia Lunar, but is to me slightly more attractive. It is very responsive, has all the expected modes, and defaults to not turning itself off at all. It reads faster, and is more reliable in auto modes than Brewista 2.

mallen4248

#9: Post by mallen4248 »

The Hiroia is even more expensive than the Acaia Lunar. I like my Lunar, it's a great scale but it's a bit overpriced imho. The portafilter plate is WAY OVERPRICED (I have one) for what it is, a rubberized magnetic metal plate. I like my Lunar, it's very accurate, fast and stable. The fact that I used purchase points for most of the cost at least took some of the sting of the price. If I had it to do over again I probably would forgo the portafilter plate and I would buy the Lunar again as well. I used this scale before I got the Acaia Lunar, decent scale for the cost and has a shot timer. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075YBD4YQ/
In vino veritas.... and caffeine helps the next morning....

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mgwolf »

Check this one out too:
https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/My-W ... Scale.html

I've been using a My Weigh brand scale for 10 years with no problems. It was about $15, not waterproof, and has been spilled on countless times. The above scale has a 30 year warranty. Keep in mind the space available between the PF and the tray. On my setup, I need a scale that's .7 inch or less in height which is hard to find. The Acaia would work, but I can't justify that much money when the $15 scale works fine.

If you don't absolutely need a timer and a scale in the same device, you can buy a timer and scale separately for maybe $30, which is what I do and it's not much of a bother.