Craig Lyn Design Studio or Lyn Weber Workshops

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by RockyIII » Oct 09, 2019, 10:56 am

Now that Lyn and Weber have split, is there a compelling reason to buy from one over the other? I noticed that Craig Lyn Design Studio is advertising an improved HG-1 for 2020. Does anybody know if the grinders from both companies are still the same? Are they manufactured at the same shop, or has that been split too?

Rocky

Elliot
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Elliot » replying to RockyIII » Oct 09, 2019, 11:03 am

Curious about the same darn thing.

Dev

#3: Post by Dev » Oct 09, 2019, 1:03 pm

They should sell an upgrade gear kit for those that have earlier versions. It would go a long way to show they support their pervious products when improvements are made.

pcrussell50

#4: Post by pcrussell50 » replying to Dev » Oct 09, 2019, 1:11 pm

When was the gear change? There was a big visual and operational change beginning with the 2014 model, but none that I knew about after that. But a gear update could have occurred since then and it wouldn't be visible.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mivanitsky
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mivanitsky » Oct 09, 2019, 1:13 pm

Someone here recently posted horror stories and video about a relatively recent purchase of an HG1 from LWW (not Craig Lyn Design) and receiving poor customer support, which is definitely not my experience with that company prior to Craig's departure. Craig is now selling an "updated" 2020 model, while LWW is still selling the previous model. I wonder whether, with regard to LWW, HG1 is an orphaned product.

pcrussell50

#6: Post by pcrussell50 » Oct 09, 2019, 1:24 pm

Is there any info on the "updated 2020" model?

Craig's web site seems to look exactly like the 2014-up model. https://craiglyn.com/products/hg-1/

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Dev

#7: Post by Dev » Oct 09, 2019, 2:56 pm

pcrussell50 wrote:When was the gear change? There was a big visual and operational change beginning with the 2014 model, but none that I knew about after that. But a gear update could have occurred since then and it wouldn't be visible.

-Peter
I have the 2014 model. Its the one with the braille markings before they changed it again and made the numbers I believe in 2016. I have the older black gears.
It appears that the big change for the 2020 model revision is spiral cut mitre gears.

See here.
https://craiglyn.com/new1/

The reason why im interested is mainly because I find there is a good amount of play in my current gear set and if I tighten it up it creates roughness which is not good for grinding.
There does need to be a bit of looseness in the gears in my opinion however I do believe the new gears could actually improve things a bit.

It would be nice if they were retrofitted without any changes to the bearings and shaft. This would be a good business opportunity for Craig to sell revised as well as replacement parts to support the grinder.

pcrussell50

#8: Post by pcrussell50 » Oct 09, 2019, 3:06 pm

Pretty nifty. Thanks for that. Since I motorized mine (WUG2), I have been loving the silent solid smooth aesthetic. As well as that digitally speed controlled "Monolith-like" buttons, look and feel. I imagine that a helical gear train would only improve upon that even more. Definitely envious. Would probably buy the retrofit if it were offered.

I have one of the Braille models too.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Dev

#9: Post by Dev » Oct 09, 2019, 3:13 pm

I think I will take some initiative and contact Craig.
I did have an issue that was a non issue 2015 where he sent me some shims in the past. It turns out that they all have some upper shaft play which is normal and if you try to get all the play out of it thats when things go south with the grind.

I don't know what the deal is with the other guys customer service but Craig has been very responsive and helpful.

pcrussell50

#10: Post by pcrussell50 » Oct 09, 2019, 3:17 pm

Good. Put in a word of support from me too over the concept of making it retrofittable. I would even consider shipping it to him for the "operation" if he's set up for that. I kept my old box and packaging. The more people show interest, the more he must surely see an opportunity. He can contact me if he wants to verify veracity. Thanks again.

-Peter
LMWDP #553