Craig Lyn Design Studio or Lyn Weber Workshops - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Dev

#11: Post by Dev »

pcrussell50 wrote:Good. Put in a word of support from me too over the concept of making it retrofittable. I would even consider shipping it to him for the "operation" if he's set up for that. I kept my old box and packaging. The more people show interest, the more he must surely see an opportunity. He can contact me if he wants to verify veracity. Thanks again.

-Peter
I just contacted him. Let him know that we are curious on HB. I didn't want to make it seem that it was a majority of owners since its just us but I imagine others would be interested naturally.

I actually have a problem with one of the set screws being stripped on the gear and the other one is being held in by Loctite. It works but I would certainly like to fix the problem.

Im hoping that the gears can be retrofitted with just undoing the set screws on the gears, removing the burrs and dropping the shaft for clearance.

RockyIII (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by RockyIII (original poster) »

I first saw the HG-1 2020 updates mentioned on the Craig Lyn Design Studio Facebook page. There is a brief video of the new gears, and in reply to a question about what the other changes are he said there is some internal strengthening to a couple of parts as well as some aesthetic improvements.

Rocky

Dev

#13: Post by Dev »

Craig got back to me and said it was possible and he can source the parts however there is some risk involved if you don't have the right tools and not mechanically inclined. Its still not clear as he mention the disassembly and not particularly the gear box. I followed up with a question if any bearings need to be pulled.

I wish I would have inspected mine when I had it apart to see how the shaft was mounted.

Does anyone have an idea?

Dev

#14: Post by Dev »

Craig got back to me again and said it's possible to get us the gears.

It would appear the burr set would have to be removed. The flywheel will have to come off to expose the bolts that hold the transmission. The transmission can then be removed as a unit. Not hard at all as I have already done it.

Apparently the shaft is not pressed in but tight. I imagine once you loosen the set screws on the gears and the top bolt on the shaft it might need a little taping with a plastic punch and it have enough clearance to remove the old gears and swap in the new ones.

It seems straight forward to me. Craig wants to know how many would be interested probably to gauge how many sets he will keep on hand. I don't want to violate any rules here so if you are interested just contact me though PM. I consider this as more of a favor request to upgrade our grinders at our own risk and I don't care if there is no interest as I'm sure Craig will just supply me with the parts.

pcrussell50

#15: Post by pcrussell50 replying to Dev »

Thanks so much. I'm in. Check for a PM sometime today.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

thesharpener

#16: Post by thesharpener »

It seems straight forward to me. Craig wants to know how many would be interested probably to gauge how many sets he will keep on hand. I don't want to violate any rules here so if you are interested just contact me though PM. I consider this as more of a favor request to upgrade our grinders at our own risk and I don't care if there is no interest as I'm sure Craig will just supply me with the parts.
I'm potentially interested in the new gears.

I saw the new spiral cut miter gears on Craig Lyn Design Studio facebook page, but it's not clear to me what the advantage/improvement is over the original design. I have motorized my HG-1 with Wug2 kit, if that makes any difference. The current miter gears on my HG-1 do have some backlash, but according to the care/maintenance page, 1-3 degrees of backlash is normal so I haven't bothered to adjust them (https://craiglyn.com/products/hg-1/care ... ter-gears/)
Pete - LMWDP #572

pcrussell50

#17: Post by pcrussell50 »

Noise, mate. In cars and other engineering, straight cut gears are stronger but noisier... than helical gears.

I have the WUG2 kit as well. Very happy camper.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Elliot

#18: Post by Elliot »

Wonder if he'll take on the full electric grinder to compete with Monolith.

Dev

#19: Post by Dev »

Apparently it is quieter and smoother with the spiral cut. Generally spiral cut will have less noise and vibration but it can be argued that it might not be as strong as straight cut. This depends on many factors like the surface area of the gears so it actually could be stronger or doesn't really matter for the force exerted. For all we know it could mean less backlash.

I don't think there is any way to speculate without first hand accounts. I think if the maker thought there was no benefits for continuous improvement it probably wouldn't have been entertained.

pcrussell50

#20: Post by pcrussell50 »

Elliot wrote:Wonder if he'll take on the full electric grinder to compete with Monolith.
One of my other grinders is a Monolith. And I can confirm that the WUG2 kit provides much of the look and feel of a Monolith with the solid quietness speed control, and switchgear, Plus the latest version isn't even a kit. It just goes right on, two bolts, already wired up and tested. Not sure if it grinds any better, but the overall experience is very slick.

-Peter
LMWDP #553