Cost justification of VST tampers

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
r.rowlan

#1: Post by r.rowlan »

What makes a VST basket tamper worth more. I've looked at Cafelat tampers around $60, La Marzocco Craftsman tamper at $139 and a Pergman Pullman at $179. What makes one convex stainless steel flat bottom tamper worth more than another once the handle material is factored in?

shawndo

#2: Post by shawndo »

Those tampers come from all different parts of the world. Cost of materials and shipping/taxes has to figure into it.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

Probably not the cost of goods but brand value, the time invested in their unique features and the numbers made are IMO likely drivers of these prices.
LMWDP #483

billt

#4: Post by billt »

It's a veblen good.

There is no reasonable justification for its price, but the upper reaches of the home espresso coffee market have reached the level at which some people will spend a lot of money on an artifact just because it costs a lot of money (then try and justify it).

Kipp

#5: Post by Kipp »

CoffeeComplements on eBay will make you a very nice custom tamper any size and shape out of stainless steel for around $50 :D

TheCastanza

#6: Post by TheCastanza »

I recently got a cafelat tamper to match my vst basket perfectly from Chris coffee. It has made a noticeable difference in my shots. So I think one made specifically for vst is a good pick

rockethead26

#7: Post by rockethead26 replying to TheCastanza »

I'll second that. I've had my VST Cafelat tamper for about two months and it really helps consistency. If the tamp isn't level, the tamper will not spin in the basket.

weebit_nutty

#8: Post by weebit_nutty »

billt wrote:There is no reasonable justification for its price
The costs associated with validation and testing of each product they sell doesn't come free.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Marcelnl

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

I'm not saying they don't but validation for a tamper? I'd consider that overkill to be honest....would be interested to see a validation plan.
LMWDP #483

weebit_nutty

#10: Post by weebit_nutty »

I was not talking about tampers. VST is about the consistency in holes, not tamper. Tampers are designed FOR the specific size baskets, not the other way around.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?