Cormorant vs. Bullet

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
tglodjo

Postby tglodjo » Jan 05, 2019, 12:02 am

I've tried searching for a solid comparison, but am struggling to find anything beyond a small comment here and there. I'm wondering if anyone can give me a breakdown of the pros/cons of both a Cormorant and Bullet. I've roasted with a Behmor for several years and am considering an upgrade. I understand that the Bullet is electrical while the Cormorant uses gas, but that's about all I understand about the differences between them. Would love an "Idiot's Guide to the Bullet vs. Cormorant" if anyone is willing to entertain me :lol:

tyfabes

Postby tyfabes » Jan 05, 2019, 12:41 am

I've been looking at both for a while, but decided to pass on the Bullet and be waitlisted for a Cormorant. This isn't much, but as a high level comparison, it hits on the major aspects of the roaster.

• Bullet has a larger capacity (1kg vs 600g)
  • Electric vs Gas
  • To your door, the Bullet is roughly $2800 vs the Cormorant @ $1800-1900
  • Both support data logging
  • Both have world class-support from Jacob and Johan
  • Upkeep/maintenance appears more streamlined and approachable on the Cormorant, mainly due to design and lack of electrical

Both are solid machines, but to me, I prefer the look/style of the Comorant and the fact it's gas. I also don't need 1kg capacity, so it's not worth the increase in price vs the Cormorant. I also really appreciate certain design aspects of the Cormorant (e.g. chaff collector) over the Bullet. Neither roaster is perfect, but I think it's hard to imagine someone unhappy with either. I certainly wouldn't kick the Bullet out of bed for eating crackers. :D

Peppersass

Postby Peppersass » Jan 05, 2019, 1:22 pm

I'm curious about the thermal mass of the drums relative to their capacity. Seems to me that's the dividing line between these small home roasters and more commercially-oriented offerings like North.

Does anyone have details on this?

Almico

Postby Almico » Jan 05, 2019, 1:44 pm

I just received my Cormorant and what I like most about it is the "large roaster" form factor. I'll be using mine mostly as a sample roaster and the air flow, gas dials, adjustment knob and thermocouple/datalogging will be very similar to my 5kg machine. I'm a bit of a hobbiest modeler, and I love scaled down contraptions. I have to admit, it's about the cutest little thing I've seen since my sons were born.

As far as finding a "solid comparison" between the Cormorant and the Bullet, good luck. They are both fairly new machines and you're not likely to find someone that has owned both and used both extensively. You might have to do your own homework on this one and not count on someone else to have done it for you.
★ Helpful

eltakeiteasy

Postby eltakeiteasy » replying to Almico » Jan 05, 2019, 7:53 pm

Looks great, Alan! Will be excited to hear your feedback after you get a few roasts under your belt. I bought the Bullet from SM and also have the Cormorant on order. Whichever one I like less will be gifted to my brother.

tglodjo

Postby tglodjo » Jan 05, 2019, 8:02 pm

I'm certainly partial to the old school looks of the Cormorant, but am curious: What was it about the roaster you chose that caused you to go in that direction? I understand that I need to do my homework on the differences (I've been trying), but there's just so much nuance to roasting that I don't understand the benefits or shortcomings of specific decisions on build/features.

cebseb

Postby cebseb » Jan 06, 2019, 4:20 am

I own the Bullet. I did quite a bit of research before purchasing it. I could try to put my thoughts on the matter into words, but I think it would be better for you to read the words of someone I respect quite a bit. Tom of Sweet Maria's.

The Bullet R1 is a good option for the home roaster who wants more control and capacity, or light duty commercial roasting. The machine can easily roast at its top capacity of 2.2 pounds per batch with its induction heat technology, and offers a new level of control of roast parameters from the touchpad controls or USB connection to a PC. We received our test unit a couple months before our first batch of Bullets arrived for sale on Oakland and it has inspired a lot of enthusiasm around the warehouse. Roasting test batches on the Bullet became a bit of an obsession actually, and in attempting to write a good, dispassionate description I (Tom) find myself fighting to restrain myself a bit. I don't like to say things like "the best" or "the finest" ... but I really think this is a big step forward in small roasting machines. I was traveling down dirt roads in south Ethiopia collecting coffee samples, and found myself thinking about how great it will be to get these home to roast in the bullet! 500 grams is a nice batch size for the machine and I made sure my farm samples were at least that much. The basis for this excitement is in the roast quality and control. The solid steel drum and dynamics of heat transfer, as well as full control of the induction heat, air flow and drum rotation speed, has produced some roasting magic in the cup. The ease of use, to "record" and "playback " roasts (and share them with any other Bullet user), live logging of roast settings and ROR (rate of rise) on the beans, and the fact you can do back to back roasts ( start a new batch while cooling the previous one) are all frosting on the cake. Plus it is built to last and looks pretty damn good too! The machine is designed by Jonas and Jacob Lillie in Denmark and built in small batches in Taiwan. Nearly every part for the Bullet build is sourced by Jonas, even down to the screws, to ensure the quality and longevity of the machine.

There's quite a bit more info on the machine at the following link:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/aillio-bull ... aster.html

Cheers
Full stop. No half measures. Thankful to be in such a supportive community.

Almico

Postby Almico » Jan 06, 2019, 12:25 pm

I'm not sure how much value there is in the opinion of the person selling them.

randyr5

Postby randyr5 » Jan 06, 2019, 1:21 pm

I just inquired about the Cormorant and the delivery is now out to November 2019. It would be just north of $2200 shipped and insured to the US, plus an extra $125 if you want one of the color choices. For a few hundred more, the Bullet has larger bean capacity and should be more readily available.

ZooHouseCoffee

Postby ZooHouseCoffee » Feb 11, 2019, 11:06 am

Almico wrote:I'm not sure how much value there is in the opinion of the person selling them.

He doesn't need to exaggerate, they will sell out anyways. If you've followed Sweet Marias for any period of time you'd know Tom wouldn't say anything that wasn't true just to sell something.