Cormorant vs. Bullet - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by yakster »

hankua wrote:One thing the OP ought to consider is what's the minimum charge of green coffee he's looking to use, as a lot of Bullet owners are charging 700+ grams as their sweet spot. The Cormorant being basically a 1lb roaster should be able to roast 250g with control on the low end.
I picked up on that on Facebook. I did three 400 g batches this weekend of a past-crop Mexico Zongozotola Amarillo using charge temps of 210, 230, and 250 C. (with the new IBTS, the charge temp is quite a bit higher than the previous v1.0 version) The 250 C roast came out great, not sure if 700 g is really a sweet spot or not yet, but I'll likely be roasting closer to a pound at a time.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

hankua
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by hankua »

The way I interpreted the FB comments about batch size was more about control than sensors. If the machine is setup to roast 1kg, then it's possible the lower end of the heat/air range could be less than idea. Lots of questions about how the heating module steps up and down power, the % increases there are between the steps, is it steady at the lower end or pulses, etc. etc.

700g (70%) and 500g (50%) are both in the range of gas machines abilities. If the Bullet can roast 300g just as well as 700g, it would be a huge plus for the machine.

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by yakster »

Agree about control vs sensors, guess I'll have to try a larger batch at some point to compare. Incrementing the fan or power setting by one does have a noticable impact at 400 g. I might be able to finesse the heat somewhat with my Variac, but would prefer to avoid it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272