Convince me NOT to buy a La Marzocco Linea Mini

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
manojrc

#1: Post by manojrc »

Dear All,

After going through many HB posts and countless YT videos, finally decided to go for LMLM.
My earlier favourites were Bianca and Profitec 700, but I now prefer the elegance and simplicity of LMLM, though I can't really justify paying a significant premium over a Bianca. Heard rumors from some random site that LM may bring a Linea Mini with Flow Control feature later this year. Now please convince me not to get an LMLM..I know it's expensive, offers less value, no flow profile option, no shot timer etc. But still why do folks buy these machines? Thanks..

dockoelboto

#2: Post by dockoelboto »

Lmlm owner. I bought mine for the in my opinion beautiful classic design. It is in my opinion a beautiful addition to the kitchen. I ended up doing a significant mod to mine - EMP gear pump mod so now I have variable pressure. I bought mine used so I was willing to do it. Is it the best bang for your buck? No. Will the lmlm add flow control? Honestly I highly doubt it mostly because of the gs3 and Strada. They have to protect those models. I love the lmlm. It is a beautiful machine and service is readily available if needed as are parts. Not that others aren't as well but lm is a major brand. I think I'm the higher end machine market you really can't go wrong. Just get what works for you and don't care about what others think

dsc106

#3: Post by dsc106 »

Talk you out of it? Well.

Mostly aesthetics, style, feel - for $2k+ Which isn't nothing, on either metric.

You could get an ECM Synchronika with flow control for a few grand cheaper and put the money into an extremely nice grinder, or 3. Plus accessories and scales.

The resultant cup may even be better with more control over flow, and the e61 design is more universal and thus arguably easier to troubleshoot and work with over time.

Add some wood panels to the ECM if you'd like.

FWIW I would not get a Bianca over the Pro 700 or ECM personally, I've just seen and read that the build quality feels superior on the ECM. And now that both Clive and WLL offer flow control for the machine, plus 3rd party options, it sort of levels out that decision.

Of course you won't go wrong with an LMLM but you will pay more in addition than some people pay for their machines for no added functionality. So think of it as paying for art. Ain't nothing wrong with that!

In the end bet what you're excited about and what realistically fits your total budget and priorities. If you can get the LMLM without thinking twice about the cash and still getting excellent grinding solution and accessories... congrats! If not, think carefully about your priorities both in coffee (total setup) and life (would you rather have a trip to Hawaii, an ebike, a vr headset, etc or the LMLM over one of the other machines?)

Ypuh

#4: Post by Ypuh »

In my opinion there are no machines that are better AND cheaper. There are lots of machines that offer better value for money if you're interested in that.
I don't want a Decent

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

Buy the machine that you'll feel great making espresso in the morning. You're in the range where there are a lot of good choices that all make espresso differently. The LMLM is a classic in appearance, solidly built, and straightforward to use. On the other end of the "easy to use" (when bleary eyed and barely functional in a dark kitchen) might be the hands-on manual Streitman. Both can make great espresso. Which one on that continuum feels better to you?

Lots of other options mentioned above that also fall into the "can make great espresso" group.

spressomon

#6: Post by spressomon »

I agree with Ypuh & Jeff: Buy it and don't wonder any more! Later add the flow/pressure control ala The Coffee Machinist if it suits you and end up with an even more incredible machine: Either way you'll win. Just my 2 cents but saturated/semi-saturated group romps on anything e61 related.

LM's quality of construction and materials is second to none in that price category.

I went through similar debate before I bought my Slayer and that was 6 blissful years ago. And I'd make the same decision again today. Further, it continues to deliver more satisfaction than any new vehicle I have ever purchased...and I hate to calculate the respective losses on that collection :roll:
No Espresso = Depresso

Ad-85

#7: Post by Ad-85 »

Jeff wrote:Buy the machine that you'll feel great making espresso in the morning. You're in the range where there are a lot of good choices that all make espresso differently. The LMLM is a classic in appearance, solidly built, and straightforward to use. On the other end of the "easy to use" (when bleary eyed and barely functional in a dark kitchen) might be the hands-on manual Streitman. Both can make great espresso. Which one on that continuum feels better to you?

Lots of other options mentioned above that also fall into the "can make great espresso" group.
+1
LMWDB #691

thecoffeefield

#8: Post by thecoffeefield »

Can't talk you out of it by saying anything more than value. The LMLM is a horrible value on paper. However, the way it steams milk (fast and velvety), the classic design that brings me a lot of joy every morning and afternoon and the fact that it's handmade and backed by a reputable company are all reasons I purchased mine. Yes, I could have gotten something that make as good of espresso as the LMLM for 2k less but I actually rather pay the 2k more and be happy with my purchase then save 2k and be less happy. LMLM Is what I wanted.

gobucks

#9: Post by gobucks »

I can't tell if the OP actually wants to be talked out of buying it, or is just looking for confirmation that it's a good buy, but operating under the assumption that the OP is looking for reasons not to buy, I'd say the biggest one is that the home espresso market is still evolving, and you'd be locking yourself into a very expensive machine that lacks current and future features you might like down the road. The LMLM is more than twice the price of the Bianca, and nearly twice the price of an ECM Synchronika or Profitec Pro 700. Sure, you're giving up some build quality and maybe a bit of high volume drink capacity, but they are extremely capable in their own right, and have things like flow control and digital controls for shot timer/PID that the LMLM lacks. And if it turns out that the market continues to improve upon implementations of flow profiling (Decent is the pioneer here but I suspect others will follow suit), then you've saved yourself $3K + interest that you can spend on a future upgrade. I think there is a desire, especially coming from an entry level machine, to "buy once cry once" and just go for an endgame machine, but I think it's kind of an illusion - even spending $6K on a LMLM won't save you from lusting after new features that will come out over the next several years.

Arafel

#10: Post by Arafel »

I can't talk you out of it, because I have a Specht LMLM with gear pump on order that I'm expecting in June. I see some above talk down the LMLM, but it's a saturated brew group that is probably the most temp stable machine in the home market. Someone mentioned the lack of digital control over temp, but it does have an analog wheel, and then if you want more precision you can set the temp in the app to whatever you want.

When I pulled the trigger, I had made the decision that I wanted something I could plumb in. I currently have a Pro 600. The Pro 700 felt like a lateral move i terms of quality, as did the Synchronika, and the latter won't fit my counter space anyway. I considered the GS3 MP, but again, it's too big for my counter. The Slayer was one I was seriously looking at, but you can get a needle valve mod LMLM for a lot less, and the Slayer is a tank anyway, and it's depth was a no-no for my counter space.

I don't think you'll regret an LMLM, and while the E61s can produce great shots, they aren't as temp stable as an LMLM, and the long heat-up times kind of suck, especially if like me you occasionally forget to program your smart plug timer :)