Convince me NOT to buy a La Marzocco Linea Mini - Page 6

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
cmin

#51: Post by cmin »

Ypuh wrote:It's like having a V8 in a Ford Fiesta which is a challenge by itself.
Uhhhh I want a Coyote swapped Fiesta lol, take my $ now! I'll just suffice with the whipple'd Platinum F150, who doesn't want a 700rwhp luxury truck that's still great on gas like stock, tows, and can rip 130+ trap speeds haha. While getting a massage and having cooled seats blow on your nether region like little angels whispering. We have a guy here that tracked with a modded Coyote swapped Cayman, absolute monster on track and hilarious hearing that Coyote scream at like 8k rpm from a Porsche lol.

Ok back on topic...

manojrc (original poster)

#52: Post by manojrc (original poster) »

Let's admit. In any hobbies, though we pretend to aim for superior end result with an expensive gear, in reality, we buy high end gears for various other reasons ( Brand, pride of ownership, bragging rights, aesthetic, exclusivity etc) !! A modern Canon camera gives far better images than a Leica but those who can afford a Leica will buy only a Leica. They don't actually care about the end result, but ironically, image quality is their excuse to get one in the first place !! They are actually after the photo taking experience; the process of image making. That silky smooth aperture ring movement, that red color logo, that cute look & the appreciation for German engineering. Not really the quality of final image !! I think that's the case with Espresso machines too. My initial choice, Bianca, has far more tricks in its kitty and it offers the best value in the high end category, but still it can't match the timeless beauty of LM. It can't match the steam power of LM too which is important for my case. Then that 'expensive one has to be better & I must get that because it's expensive but I won't admit it' psychology also plays its role. Mini offers the worst value in espresso machine category. Mini is a glorified GCP in dual boiler with PID avatar !! Yet, I love to own one !!! In the relative scheme of things, the more expensive GS3 MP gives better value actually. Still so many folks buy Mini. May be even they struggle to explain why & I really like to know why :D

exidrion

#53: Post by exidrion »

manojrc wrote:Let's admit. In any hobbies, though we pretend to aim for superior end result with an expensive gear, in reality, we buy high end gears for various other reasons ( Brand, pride of ownership, bragging rights, aesthetic, exclusivity etc) !!

Given that this is largely the ultimate deciding factor for the numerous people that post buying advice threads about the LMLM, one has to wonder why they're even made because nobody is going to change your opinion if this is what you value and it's entirely subjective. If you search this board you always find the same pro and con counter points when it comes to this machine :mrgreen: :wink:

thecoffeefield

#54: Post by thecoffeefield »

exidrion wrote: Given that this is largely the ultimate deciding factor for the numerous people that post buying advice threads about the LMLM, one has to wonder why they're even made because nobody is going to change your opinion if this is what you value and it's entirely subjective. If you search this board you always find the same pro and con counter points when it comes to this machine :mrgreen: :wink:
For the most part, people are looking for confirmation/affirmation. To me the decision was easy and did not require a forum post. I needed something that can steam like a beast, doesn't have an exposed grouphead (I think it's ugly personally) and a dual boiler. This left me with the Prima or LMLM. I went with LMLM because of their customer service, parts and technicians availability where I live. Plain and simple

bringyoutomyhell

#55: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

Ypuh wrote:I guess this is meant sarcastic? Otherwise can't follow what your saying.

The LM is very simple to operate (i.e. no tablet on top to tinker with), but not a simple machine by any means. The integrated brew head is unique in its design, the app balances the right features without impacting the ease of use too much, the amount of power packed in the relatively small size is a challenge no other company succeeded at. It's like having a V8 in a Ford Fiesta which is a challenge by itself.

Anyway; you're likely just out to annoy people. There is so many variables that you need to control and master before the machine becomes the limiting factor in achieving your preferred taste. By this point in your coffee journey, adding €500 for a Grafikus pre-infusion mod isn't that much of an obstacle.
The app is a new thing though. I'm not saying it's a simple machine, I'm saying it's simple in use and limited in functions. By design. In a poetic way it's a machine that lets you focus on the espresso, sometimes, or for some people, this is a plus. With a LMLM you can be completely absorbed by the ritual without much distraction. Powerful it is, probably too much for home use. Preinfusion starts and stop the pump so it's not an ideal one.. saturated grouphead but no flow control. But all of that is not really needed for a classic italian espresso, which is what the LMLM and most italian equipment is all about. I can appreciate that. But I'm italian and all I want is a Decent, so I'm totally not the target of the LMLM and my vision is obviously biased.

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#56: Post by pcofftenyo »

cmin wrote: Coyote swapped Cayman...
Isn't that on topic? It's magic is under the hood. And I'm sure the above is beyond beast where it can rip.

The LMLM looks too simple, unlike that chrome bling and other bits on E61's.

jcswinterpark

#57: Post by jcswinterpark »

Funny question for a thread and I completely get it. I don't think taht spending this much on an espresso machine comes down to logic so much as emotion and preference. I love the aesthetic, like the heritage / brand, like that the machine can be fully serviced / repaired if there are any issues and it makes one hell of an espresso / latte.

I love my LMLM so much that I just bought a second one for my office and customized it (pictured below | full station not set up yet...). There will always be reasons you can find for why "not" to buy something, but if you love it and enjoy the experience, then nothing else really matters.

mithiral67

#58: Post by mithiral67 »

manojrc wrote:Dear All,

After going through many HB posts and countless YT videos, finally decided to go for LMLM.
My earlier favourites were Bianca and Profitec 700, but I now prefer the elegance and simplicity of LMLM, though I can't really justify paying a significant premium over a Bianca. Heard rumors from some random site that LM may bring a Linea Mini with Flow Control feature later this year. Now please convince me not to get an LMLM..I know it's expensive, offers less value, no flow profile option, no shot timer etc. But still why do folks buy these machines? Thanks..
Thank you for this thread. I am in the market for my first espresso machine and have been researching for about a month. My original budget fit a Gaggia Pro/Niche Zero combo, but as I learned more about the process of making espresso and what I want in a machine I quickly wanted features a Gaggia pro doesnt have as well as finding the LMLM to be drop dead gorgeous. Being this drove my budget up to $8-9k for a proper set up with a LMLM I was asking this exact question. Great seeing everyone's feedback, so thank you.

Before I sink that much cash into a new hobby, decided to stick with the original Gaggia Pro/Niche Zero combo to ensure I love it 3-6 months down the road. Speaking of that, you noted there were rumors about LM adding flow control (and effective pre-infusion with that), which is to me its biggest weakness soon. Can you point me to where you saw that? I would think a model option with flow control would sell like crazy and provide them a nice boost in revenue with a wave of new sales. Some note that they wouldnt do this as it would be too close to the GS3, but i think they both would sell well. They are very different looking machines and we know that many folks in the LM market buy them with looks high in their priorities. Those that love the LMLM will get the LMLM and those that like the GS3 will get the GS3. All this is wishful thinking as I am hoping to buy a future LMLM with flow control from the factory :)

Cheers,
James

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#59: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

If you do decide to order one, ask them to clarify what happens with shipping damage. They exclude that from warranty.

Delivery problems with direct purchase La Marzocco USA

So does LM really back up their products? I think many have had good experiences. I find this development puzzling since it appears to be a common issue.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

ira
Team HB

#60: Post by ira »

The fact that the red indicator firing seems to be a common theme with seemingly no issues detected might seem to indicate they are choosing the wrong indicator and not a problem with packaging or shipping. I thought indicators come in many types and shock ranges. I have a mechanical that takes special paper tape and records the direction and intensity of all the shocks a package takes during the shipment. Probably way to expensive for this problem, but they exist if you need them. For the one I have, the paper tape is so expensive I've never tried it. But still available 30 or 40 years later.