Convince me NOT to buy a La Marzocco Linea Mini - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
brokenlungs

#41: Post by brokenlungs »

I started with a europiccola, then went to a rocket apartmento, then got my mini and it's what I wanted when I first wanted to take coffee out of the work place and to my home. I haven't looked back or at any other machines since I got it. I have a quick mill anita as a back up if anything were to go wrong.

randyh

#42: Post by randyh »

TigerStripes wrote:Reason not to buy - the espresso won't be any different than a $1500 breville dual boiler, and you'll have less control with a stock lmlm.

If money isn't a concern, then value doesn't mean a whole lot.
I would argue the espresso could very likely be better from a BDB given more functions that actually affect extraction like pre infusion and flow control if you do the slayer mod. That is something I could never live with, inferior espresso from a far more expensive machine.

RyanP

#43: Post by RyanP »

It's interesting to me that increased capabilities, which also means increased variables, is often talked about as an almost certainty for better espresso. I don't own a LMLM but I do see the value in a machine that does one thing very well and does it reliably and consistently. To me a LMLM is much like a commercial spring lever in that regard. I believe that beyond build quality and brand name that this is why so many people own and love their LMLM. And I suspect most people with the funds for an LMLM have the funds for a top of the line grinder. Grinders have come quite a long ways in a short period of time and in my experience have eliminated the need for "slayer style" flow profiling. Just my opinion based on my own experience. So I imagine you can repeatedly make some pretty stellar espresso with a rock solid consistent grinder, quality coffee, and an espresso machine like the LMLM. On the flip side, you can have an espresso machine with all the pressure and flow control capabilities and if you can't play the machine well, or can't resist messing with the variables, or not sure where to start with dialing in a new coffee then I'd imagine the espresso will probably not be as good as what's coming from that other machine that does that one thing very well consistently each and every time.
★ Helpful

Ypuh

#44: Post by Ypuh »

I guess Ryan kinda nailed it.

Visited a friend last week and made a few espressos on his R58 with Specialita grinder. Also owned a Rocket Evo myself before purchasing a LMLM. In short; the taste was great. Don't expect major differences in that department. I also really enjoyed using his machine, but at the same time realized at what a different level the La Marzocco is.

There only has been one coffee roaster so far of which I couldn't get the beans just right. Channeling, sour, varying shot times. I guess this was mainly due to the very light roast which my conical grinder and LMLM simply aren't that suited for. Even though light roasts have the stigma of being the summon of our sport, my taste profile moves more towards a good medium roast which can also provide you with lots of fruity flavor and body. If that's the style you like, a LMLM will not disappoint.

In terms of variables to play with; you're lacking flow profiles (which only come to life with lighter roasts), but there's still lots of other variables to play with or mess up. Again; whatever suits your needs. A LMLM is quite easy to work with, but still offers enough to control (e.g. 25s of 35s shottime, different baskets, temperatures, pressures, restrictors etc).
I don't want a Decent

thecoffeefield

#45: Post by thecoffeefield »

Eventually people will realize that not because you can control flow and pressure that doesn't mean or equal a "better" shot. I remember when tamping pressure was a big deal and people discussed that to death only for people to realize years later that it doesn't really matter much if you tamp with 35lb pressure or 15lb!

I think the word "better" should disappear from the coffee tasting vocab and replaced with "different" or "better to me". Flow and pressure profiling (and all the other variables) will result in a "different" shot, now that "different" shot could taste better to some people and worse to others (unless wildly off). I've been to cafes in NYC with friends and family and ordered espresso and regular coffees and received wildly different feedback. Some people in my group loved the espresso and others thought it was "off" and "bitter". Some of these cafes were using Mazzer Roburs and Slayers and others La Marzocco and Mahlkonig. Honestly, at the end of the day, it's all about your taste buds, the coffee you're brewing and the skill/experience of the person making the coffee and pulling the shots.

drH

#46: Post by drH »

Many of these comments about the LM ring true for me. I've had some stellar light roasts from Linea PB machines when paired with Mahlkonig Peaks in cafes.

bringyoutomyhell

#47: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

LMLM is mostly an aesthetically pleasing machine, built with commercial grade parts, and very, very simple and limited in its functions, made for those who enjoy italian style espresso and don't want to tinker to obtain the best they can from a bean, and will stick to classic dark or medium roast ones.

If you mostly care about looks and less about coffee it's a fantastic machine. A Sage Dual Boiler, or any E61 with flow profiling will be a superior machine, and a Decent would crush it for less money, especially for more troublesome and wild/light beans, where proper preinfusion and/or flow profiling is needed.. But different strokes for different folks.

LMLM is excellent for what it's made for. Just don't use it for anything else

thecoffeefield

#48: Post by thecoffeefield replying to bringyoutomyhell »

I think this goes back to my comment earlier, you may not like the resulting espresso from a LMLM with light roasts beans but others including myself enjoy light roast beans from the LMLM. It's all preference at the end of the day.

Jake_G
Team HB

#49: Post by Jake_G »

bringyoutomyhell wrote:LMLM is excellent for what it's made for. Just don't use it for anything else

Sorry to be harsh, but this is just rubbish.

With a good grinder, the LMLM can deliver whatever you want in your coffee. You just have to learn to use its rock-steady performance to your advantage. Ultra-light-roasted coffee will benefit from a higher brew temperature and a lower peak brew temperature. Both things that the LMLM can do with basically zero issues.

Yes, other machines offer more flexibility and can maybe produce superior results in the right hands, but the LMLM is no slouch. It will repeatedly bang out shot after shot that are absurdly consistent. Get the recipe (and water composition) correct for the coffee of your choice, and -when paired with a suitable grinder- you will be greeted with top notch results. Whether your preferences are dark-roasted comfort blends or light-roasted floral-fraganced single origins, the LMLM is a fine choice.

Good carpenters don't blame their tools.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

Ypuh

#50: Post by Ypuh »

bringyoutomyhell wrote:LMLM is mostly an aesthetically pleasing machine, built with commercial grade parts, and very, very simple and limited in its functions, made for those who enjoy italian style espresso and don't want to tinker to obtain the best they can from a bean, and will stick to classic dark or medium roast ones.

If you mostly care about looks and less about coffee it's a fantastic machine. A Sage Dual Boiler, or any E61 with flow profiling will be a superior machine, and a Decent would crush it for less money, especially for more troublesome and wild/light beans, where proper preinfusion and/or flow profiling is needed.. But different strokes for different folks.

LMLM is excellent for what it's made for. Just don't use it for anything else
I guess this is meant sarcastic? Otherwise can't follow what your saying.

The LM is very simple to operate (i.e. no tablet on top to tinker with), but not a simple machine by any means. The integrated brew head is unique in its design, the app balances the right features without impacting the ease of use too much, the amount of power packed in the relatively small size is a challenge no other company succeeded at. It's like having a V8 in a Ford Fiesta which is a challenge by itself.

Anyway; you're likely just out to annoy people. There is so many variables that you need to control and master before the machine becomes the limiting factor in achieving your preferred taste. By this point in your coffee journey, adding €500 for a Grafikus pre-infusion mod isn't that much of an obstacle.
I don't want a Decent