Considering Upgrading Grinder From Baratza Sette 270 - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Kafana Nick (original poster)

#11: Post by Kafana Nick (original poster) »

What did I know before I acquired my Sette?
What specifically did I expect from it?
Absolutely nothing.
I took a complete leap of faith, based on the wisdom of this forum, and have come to love the coffee I create in my own kitchen.

I did not have a standard in my mind that I then attempted to put into practice by acquiring the right equipment. It was the opposite. I acquired equipment based on thoughtful recommendations and now my idea of great tasting coffee has conformed to that equipment. It has been a wonderful journey.

Knowing myself, I cannot imagine acquiring any of the $1,500+ grinders being discussed and thinking, "This is disappointing. I wish I had stayed with my Sette...or made only a slight deviation into a NIche." Rather, I suspect my palate will grow into a new grinder and it will become the new normal/wonderful.

The only complication is that my Sette was writing on a blank slate; now a marker has been laid down and there will be an unavoidable comparison.

Plus now I am dragging my wife along for the ride. :)

Thank you all, very much, for this discussion.

jkerr

#12: Post by jkerr »

This is a great thread. I'm also thinking of upgrading my Sette, but am having a difficult time deciding on what I should get. Because I want something different and with more clarity I'm leaning towards a flat burr grinder, and because I exclusively single dose it would be helpful if the grinder was designed for that. Other than that, I mostly want something quieter.

#13: Post by Kafana Nick (original poster) »

Hello All,

I have been doing my due diligence and researching. James Hoffman's video review of the Key was excellent. The logical initial question, posed by Pressino, has been answered. I have come to the conclusion that at this point in my espresso life, conical burrs are what is best for me. This leaves an intriguing door to walk through for exploring in the future. It is always nice to have room to grow.

That being said, I like the idea of going with the "hybrid style" of large conical burrs and variable RPM that offer more separation and clarity than more traditional conical burr grinders.

At this point, I am comparing the Weber Key with the Lagon P64. The only direct comparison I have found on our forum is pretty old, when the Key was just out and little was known about it. Now both appear to be known quantities.

For those of you who have experience with both, what are your thoughts, in general? On which parameters do they differ? What considerations would lead you to nudge one before the other? What guided your eventual choice? Would you do so again?

Not to complicate things, but if there is another option that falls along the Key/P64 spectrum that I have missed, I would appreciate hearing about it and adding it to the mix.

Again, thank you all very much for your opinions and guidance.

Vindibona1

#14: Post by Vindibona1 »

JB90068 wrote:
In my opinion, the field is full of poorly designed, gimmicky grinders in the sub $1,500 category and filled with a lot of almosts. On the other hand, as long as you are happy with the grinder you own, then the "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it." adage can be applied.
Knowing what you like is probably the biggest part of this whole thing. Sometimes being dumb and happy is better than being knowledgeable and frustrated.

I've tried a lot of beans, and always come back to La Colombe Nizza and have a weekly subscription from the roastery, so I know they're pretty fresh. Once in awhile I get a difficult batch, but for me it doesn't make sense to throw in bean variables when I don't have the mechanical variables dialed in quite yet. At least I've developed a modicum of consistency now with the Nizza beans. But still, my palette is still that of a "baby barista" just learning balanced, sweet, sour, bitter, etc. Still I haven't gotten that "blown away" shot at home yet, though I did a couple times at a coffee shop in Florida... who was brewing Nizza beans.

I suppose at some point when my Sette breaks again I'll be in the mood to try something new. But everything I see on video that seems "better" is crazy expensive and they all have their weak spots. Some folks crow about flat burr grinders, but other than a DF64 or a Rancilio Rocky, which have their drawbacks, again, is buying an expensive grinder like high stakes roulette gambling in Vegas?

#15: Post by Kafana Nick (original poster) »

Hello All,

Yesterday, I placed my order for a Weber Key. Thank you all for helping me think it through. It seems like a quantum leap from my Sette. I am looking forward to experimenting with it, figuring out a very different work flow, and trying to taste more separation of coffee flavors. This will be fun.