Considering espresso machine upgrade, if significantly better

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ytm

#1: Post by ytm »

Hi,

I'm considering the possibility of buying a new espresso machine.
Right now, I'm using Oscar II, paired with Rocket Fausto (which I'm very happy with), and I wish to know what would be the closest machine (price-wise, preferably from elektros) that would produce a significantly better shot.

Any advice on getting better beans for improved taste can be ruled out, as I doubt I can get better ones from any other roast house in my area, it's really excellent. I just wonder if I can get more out of them.

Thanks in advance

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

IMO, the Oscar II is a well-regarded, commercially-rated espresso machine, capable of punching its weight. Your grinder is a decent match for nearly any espresso machine. Frankly, unless you wish to get into something much more advanced, such as a profiling machine (e.g., DE1, Synchronika with flow control or Bianca), I doubt you'd notice much difference. Perhaps if we knew what you perceive as a shortcoming of your current set-up, if we knew more about you (just want to press a button or want to experiment), and if we knew the number and type of espresso drinks you like we might be able to offer more advice.

bluesman

#3: Post by bluesman »

It'd also be helpful to know what kinds of beans you prefer. If (like me) you drink traditional choconutty, caramelly espresso and don't like fruit or flowers in your shots, Oscar's about as good as it gets. If you're drinking lightly roasted coffees with subtle hints of jasmine and pears poached in Strega, you can get more out of your shots with finer control over your brew parameters and profiles than Oscar can offer.

SweetBriar

#4: Post by SweetBriar »

Copper Boilers

just like a good still, lol

~SweetBriar

"Life Is Too Short To Drink Cheap Coffee"

ytm (original poster)

#5: Post by ytm (original poster) »

Thank you for the responses. The roast house I buy from mostly roasts light to medium, depending on the type.
So perhaps there is potential to get more out of the beans (Right now I'm using Sumatran Orangutan and Ethiopian Sidamo, I like both).

I guess I'll have to try some shots in a good coffee place that brews light roast beans, and decide if that's something that is worth the money and effort.

leonelbego

#6: Post by leonelbego »

ytm wrote:Hi,

I'm considering the possibility of buying a new espresso machine.
Right now, I'm using Oscar II, paired with Rocket Fausto (which I'm very happy with), and I wish to know what would be the closest machine (price-wise, preferably from elektros) that would produce a significantly better shot.
Hi, each their own, but why are you wanting to upgrade for something "closets machine (price-wise)" to what you got already? not sure whats the point then? or what do you mean exactly?

your machine is pretty good already... why not keep using it and saving a bit more until you can do a higher jump in upgrade?

Cheers,

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would suggest that you would get the most 'bang for the buck' by first upgrading your grinder, perhaps to a Monolith flat and then see where you're at.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"