Compak PK100 vs. Monolith Flat/EG-1?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
baonumber1

#1: Post by baonumber1 »

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forum for quite a while now and really learn a lot. Recently I'm trying to get new espresso grinder with flat burrs for my recently purchased Decent DE1 Pro. I currently only have Comandante c40.

Both Monolith Flat Max and EG-1 look appealing, however they are both unavailable right now. Apparently all these single dosing grinders are hard to get. Other options like Lagom P64 and Niche zero are also not available. I therefore are looking into other brands like Eureka and Mahlkonig but retention issues seem to bother many people on the forum. Yesterday I found Compak PK100 which seems quite new and Compak claimed that the retention is very minimal (~0.5g?). There are very little information about this grinder on HB and reddit, hence I decided to post this question to see if anyone has experience with this grinder and how they like it? How does it hold up against other high-end grinder like EG-1 and monolith?

Thanks!

-----------
Edit: for some context, I plan to use this grinder for espresso only. And i mostly drink light roast coffee.

Abecker

#2: Post by Abecker »

I don't know enough to answer your question, but there is a Flat Max for sale in the buy/sell section: [FS] Monolith Flat Feb 2020 Model, SSP Burrs, Zebrawood with Upgrades

Aida Batlle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Batlle
blondica73
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by blondica73 »

I had both a Monolith MAX and MC4 and sold both and grabbed the EK43S with Turkish burrs. I added the Titus carrier and a spout from EBay and I'm extremely happy with the results. I also only pull espressos at 1:1.5 radios. This is my experience and it is absolutely biased. My wife did not like how slow the Monoliths were which was a large factor in me selling the Monoliths, she loves the EK43S, although I still make all the coffees in the house. I use medium roasted coffee.

baonumber1 (original poster)

#4: Post by baonumber1 (original poster) »

Thanks Abecker. I did see the post, but would like to go with Monlith Flat max if I'm dropping 3k on the grinder. Don't really want to spend money upgrading afterwards.

baonumber1 (original poster)

#5: Post by baonumber1 (original poster) »

Thanks blondica73. I was also considering EK43s, maybe i'll go with it

Abecker

#6: Post by Abecker »

baonumber1 wrote:Thanks Abecker. I did see the post, but would like to go with Monlith Flat max if I'm dropping 3k on the grinder. Don't really want to spend money upgrading afterwards.
Oops, I thought it was a max

MNate
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by MNate »

I like my Compak F8 well enough but I'm not convinced the changes they made really make for a single dosing machine. I can't really tell a lot from their pictures or manual but it looks like the exit chute from the grind chamber has a bit of a flat section that in mine leaves some grinds. I don't know if the bag spring system is enough to snap that free or not, but it seems like that system is after this flat section. I'm betting in that flat section is the "clump crusher" that is mostly necessary for getting rid of static. I bet it retains a bunch there and it's probably a similar silicone flap as before. But single dosing this could likely just be removed and then misting the beans before you put them in the hopper (RDT) should eliminate the static. Ironically, the "clump crusher" or whatever they call it is probably the only source of clumping! At least on my F8 it is.

So... these single dosers from Monoltih, etc. have really started from the ground up in designing a system for retention-free grinding. Compak and other big manufacturers seem to just be putting a small hopper on top and calling it single dosing.

BUT... I bet it would still be great and it certainly would be a lot faster than the Monolith (I was surprised by how slow they are too).

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
fiechtl5

#8: Post by fiechtl5 »

I'll throw another wrench in the game. The ditting lab sweet is another grinder that's scored very high marks with some of this crowd. I personally don't think I can upgrade from it, just different options.

MASONMAN
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by MASONMAN »

Another tangent, if you have room, a very understanding significant other, or a convenient garage or pantry:
Ditting 1203 with 120mm SSP Red Speed Burrs. I sold my Niche for double retail price and found a good deal on a Ditting 1203. Burrs were very worn so I replaced them with new SSP's. All for less than $1000. The grind quality is the best I have ever experienced for both espresso and pour over. The only down side is that the grinder is large and weighs 80 pounds....it lives in the garage.

Mikk

#10: Post by Mikk »

I've used a Compal PK100 Lab for some time now, and am very happy with the results it gives. I use it for single dosing for espresso and siphon, and was initially sceptical of Compak's .5g retention claim.

Happily enough, it's actually pretty true. The highest weight of coffee grounds I've removed during a full grind chamber cleanout is .6g, and grind-to-grind variation is usually .1g at most, rarely .2g. Cupping your hand and giving the top of the bean entry point a slap creates enough airflow to expel any trapped grounds, but even without this letting the grinder run for 5-10secs after the last bean goes through and a few chute lever taps does almost as well.

Build quality is fantastic, and at 25kg you get a lot of weight for your dollars! I can imagine this thing being used commercially for kilos a day, and still lasting forever. The burrs are (optimistically?) rated by Compak to last up to 9000Kg. Yep, 9 tonnes.

Comparison-wise, I wish I could have the chance to compare with EK/Monolith/EG-1, however have so far only been able to compare with Niche. The Niche got sold a week after buying the PK100.

Another post shows the PK's grind distribution COMPAK's new coffee grinder particle distribution test. and this post was the one that convinced me to give the PK a try. Thanks @indend007

I tried using the Kruve sieves yesterday for the first time, mainly to check the level of fines created for a siphon-sized grind. With the PK set to 220, and 23g coffee ground, only .4g was under 200micro, 20.2g was between 200micro and 800micro, and 2.4g above 800micro. The siphon brew tasted better with the fines/boulders removed (slight dryness no longer evident), but suspect increasing the grind size a bit would have a similar result.

Yet to try the sieves with an espresso grind, but as 200micro is the smallest sieve I have, suspect the process wouldn't be worthwhile.

I'd like more info to be available from Compak regarding the difference in expected grind distribution when using their optional filter burrs, but yet to see anything along those lines. Maybe they could also do light-roast espresso well too? Who knows.

Either way, I'm happy with the Compak, and can recommend it to others. Surprised there's not feedback from other home users, but realistically the high price of the Compak pits it against so many other grinders that may be more appropriate for home use, so maybe it's only commercial users that are buying the PK...