Coffee weight scale

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
lightbar

Postby lightbar » Sep 30, 2018, 4:14 pm

Hi there!

I'm looking for a cheap but decent weight scale for coffee, basically I would like to check the amount of coffee that I put on the filter to just check the mass of it. I don't want to spend a fortune, I have seen a lot of chinese scale on the web but then I have red the reviews and I have let it go. The one thing that I would like it an accuracy of 0,1 g. I have seen the brewberry scale

But the reviews are not that great, especially regarding the use because it work mainly with a timer.

Do you have any advice?

jgood

Postby jgood » Sep 30, 2018, 5:15 pm

Lee Valley (leevalley.com) has a scale which I have had for several years -- it's works well and can do grams, oz, can set to zero after you put something on it etc. It fits under most small cups if you want to weigh the output. To weigh the dose you need to put a small plate on it, then the portafilter, zero the scale, and then dose the PF and return it to the scale. I recommend it and the company.

Mini Digital Kitchen Scale
09A04.10 Additional views $14.95 Add to cartOnline: Available

lightbar

Postby lightbar » Sep 30, 2018, 6:38 pm

mhm but it has the accuracy of 1 g, right?

jgood

Postby jgood » Sep 30, 2018, 7:06 pm

Not sure if I understand the question but yes the Lee Valley reads individual grams -- I haven't compared it to a lab weight, but it seems consistent and repeatable.

HH

Postby HH » Sep 30, 2018, 7:19 pm

The Brewista scale is great, does pretty much everything an acaia will do and is far cheaper. It's also rechargeable by USB so no need to replace the batteries. It weighs to 0.1g.

I bought a cheaper non-branded one which failed after a few months. If you can afford to buy it once and average out the cost over ten years or so, you'll enjoy a much more reliable user-friendly scale that should de you good for the long term.

jpsm

Postby jpsm » Oct 01, 2018, 2:14 am

Have a brewista and works fine with my nespresso. I only own 2 scales atm brewista and a 20$ scale from amazon and I can tell you the brewista feels premium. The buttons on the 20$ scale felt like trash and I can tell you that it did not age well at all. I have an acaia lunar otw next week though but I feel I just purchased it out of the want to have a kicka$$ setup when my gs3 arrives.

mrjag

Postby mrjag » Oct 01, 2018, 9:42 am

I had this Chinese scale for 4 years before knocking it into a sink and killing it. It worked great and had 0.01g resolution. It's not waterproof, but as long as you weren't submerging it fully (like I did with the sink incident) it can handle a relatively wet working environment. Just wipe it clean afterwards and you are good to go. When it died, I replaced it with another cheapie ($13) from a different brand but similar construction. It looks and functions exactly the same except for the brand name silk screened on.

Deebo

Postby Deebo » Oct 01, 2018, 12:15 pm

I've been using a $20 AWS for over a year with no issues. It only does weight, but is accurate to .1g.
Think it, but don't overthink it...

Blacktip

Postby Blacktip » Oct 01, 2018, 3:16 pm

AMIR from Amazon. Cheap and work flawlessly. I bought Brewesta and returned in after one week. The rubber top is flimsy and doesn't stay in place, and I didn't need the extra functionalities.

The first AMIR was accidentally washed with running water. I put in the the drawer and bought a new one. After several weeks, to my surprise, the old one back working with the same accuracy as the new one. I don't see any justification to spend a lot of money on a scale, where cheaper alternatives work just as good or even better. 6+ months of daily use and counting.

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » Oct 01, 2018, 7:27 pm

HH wrote:The Brewista scale is great, does pretty much everything an acaia will do and is far cheaper. It's also rechargeable by USB so no need to replace the batteries. It weighs to 0.1g.

I bought a cheaper non-branded one which failed after a few months. If you can afford to buy it once and average out the cost over ten years or so, you'll enjoy a much more reliable user-friendly scale that should de you good for the long term.

+1 on the Brewista.

I went through 3 cheap amazon scales before moving up. Some people have had good luck with these scales, but not me. Almost one year in and the Brewista has performed flawlessly. It also holds it's charge for almost three months...and I use it many times a day! I use it to weigh out my beans, then the amount in the cup, and at the end of the night to single dose my beans for the freezer. I have not felt the need to upgrade yet! 8)
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..."