Coffee weight scale - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jtrops

#21: Post by jtrops »

I went through a couple of cheap chinese scales before finding the Yizish scale on Amazon. It has a bit more weight to it making it seem more solid. It also has membrane buttons so that spills don't have as many points of entry, and it's super easy to wipe down to keep clean. It is fast reading, and it doesn't wander. The measurements repeat perfectly when I test by putting a cup on it multiple times.

There are two minor problems with it. The first one is that the DC connector in the unit fits the plug loosely, so when I wasn't on battery it might lose connection, and reboot. I fixed that by taking my needle tool to pry out the contact for the sleeve. The second problem is that while it reads consistently to .1g, it doesn't register a change unless at least .2g is added to the scale. This is easily remedied by touching the beans cup after I add a bean. As you can see these are both easily remedied.

The speed, and repeatability of the readings make this scale a keeper. Also, I've had it now for about a year without any problems.

N6GQ

#22: Post by N6GQ »

Kafa74 wrote:Those are all nice but the Brewberry one has features of the Lunar and Brewista scales that cost much more, especially the first one. My favorite "dumb" scale (measures weight only) was Fast Weigh MS-600 Digital Pocket Scale, Black, 600 X 0.1 G https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004O792H2/

Super small and light measuring 2.5 x 3.6 x 0.9 inches, good for measuring dose and shot weight but not portafilter.
Thank you for both the scale recommendation as well as the video - that's EXACTLY what I was looking for - both the scale - a Lunar equivalent for les than $20 (yahoo!) and also a nice video of the LR - I have one on the way :D
LMWDP #614

Advertisement
sweaner

#23: Post by sweaner »

Just received this scale today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0736 ... UTF8&psc=1

Seems quite nice so far. 0.01 gram accuracy, fast response time.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Jessdog

#24: Post by Jessdog »

I just purchased the Brewberry, and it's a great scale especially for the price.

N6GQ

#25: Post by N6GQ replying to Jessdog »

I ended up getting one as well as a result of this thread - for the price ($26) its hard to beat - seems it does everything the Lunar does practically-speaking. I'm very happy with it - seems well made and very fast and accurate. Two big thumbs up!
LMWDP #614

gnef

#26: Post by gnef »

My old scale finally bit the dust recently, and in my quick research, found the brewberry separately from this thread and ordered one. So far, I'm impressed, and I bought a second one for my second espresso setup at work (my old grinder and machine).

I added an amazon review, but I thought I'd add some of it here into this thread as well.

I like the heft of the scale, it comes with really cheap batteries, and I only expect to use the E4 function for espresso - it will auto tare when adding a cup, and then start a timer once it detects an increase in weight.

It does blink when it is about to start the timer, but I don't think it is that big of a deal. I also typically start my timer when I switch on the brewing, but as this only starts timing when coffee hits the cup, I just need to offset my expectations (I always liked more of a 35 second total, and given the 5-6 seconds of saturating the puck, I look for around 30 seconds from first drip).

I will see how well it holds up over time, especially with coffee spills on it - that is really what I believe killed my old cheapo scale. I definitely think it is a great value so far though, especially when compared to the Acaia scales that I was also looking at.