Coffee Maker Recommendation

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
iBrew

#1: Post by iBrew » Nov 08, 2019, 11:57 am

I recently bought a Bonavita Connoisseur and I'm really impressed with the coffee it makes, love the machine but for two things

1) this is very minor but if I put in 400 ml of water I'll get about 340 ml out which throws off my ratios, is that typical for coffee makers that heat the water in this way?

2) and the more serious issue is the amount of plastic it has, for some reason I thought the hot water supply lines were glass and the shower head was stainless steel. It's all... plastic :cry:

What coffee maker produces as good quality coffee but uses glass and stainless steel? I'm aware of the Moccamaster and Ratio, is there anything else?

I have to give Bonavita credit for a great shower head, the coffee bed is always perfectly even and saturated. I really really like this machine if it wasn't for all the plastic.

redbone

#2: Post by redbone » Nov 08, 2019, 12:29 pm

First I've heard of the Bonavita Connoisseur looks good like the preinfusion feature and funnel no having to rest on carafe feature. The Bonavita plastics are food safe, don't absorb heat as much as metal and being designed for and have low contact exposure time with water as opposed to a boiling pot for instance. The Moccamaster vs Bonavita drip machines have been addressed. Comes down to some plastic exposure vs poor shower head water distribution with the Technivorm products as well as cost with the T.Moccamaster easily costing twice as much depending on models. Had a Bonavita machine for years found if brewing less than 4 cups best to run just water through machine to heat all up. This happens quickly with no grinds slowing process and completes cycle while I weigh and grind.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster » Nov 08, 2019, 3:22 pm

iBrew wrote:
1) this is very minor but if I put in 400 ml of water I'll get about 340 ml out which throws off my ratios, is that typical for coffee makers that heat the water in this way?
With or without coffee? Coffee will absorb about twice it's weight, so 30 grams of coffee will retain about 60 ml water.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

triodelover

#4: Post by triodelover » Nov 08, 2019, 7:05 pm

redbone wrote:...vs poor shower head water distribution with the Technivorm products
There are two ways to get around the distribution issue. The low-tech old way is to simply stir the grounds during preinfusion with something like a chopstick. That worked for me for over a decade.

Back in August I bought this. Inexpensive and so far works like a charm. Produces a nice, even bloom for preinfusion and you don't have to watch it. (You do, however, have to remember to open the filter holder after ~30-45 seconds.) I'm still using the same Moccamaster I bought c.2005. The insert means I'll be using a while longer.

SJM

#5: Post by SJM » Nov 08, 2019, 10:26 pm

No problem with the Technivorm at my house.

iBrew

#6: Post by iBrew » Nov 09, 2019, 12:50 pm

yakster wrote:With or without coffee? Coffee will absorb about twice it's weight, so 30 grams of coffee will retain about 60 ml water.
Going off from when I do a V60 pour over, there's a big difference with water loss about 15% less, if I put 360ml in a kettle I get that out. But apparently the water loss is normal with this type of heating as some is loss in the tube pipping and creates more stream than a kettle.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster » Nov 09, 2019, 3:52 pm

You're right, some coffee makers do produce a lot of steam. One reason I like my Brazen is it has a lid on top of the kettle that doesn't let steam out, don't have to worry about steaming up my cabinets. It's also very temperature stable with a range of settings and makes great coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary » Nov 10, 2019, 3:01 am

I recently scored a Bonavita Connoisseur BV1901TS at Goodwill for $15, so I've been practicing with it before putting it in my office. I sold one awhile back and have missed it. The shower head will not distribute evenly unless the brewer is level. You can check its function by running water through with the filter holder removed.

I did some disassembly to clean. There are no moving parts in the shower head. Brew water is pulsed from the heating element below. More pressure produces a wider spread. Less distributes brew water from central holes to wet the coffee from the middle.

I like the speed and simplicity of this brewer.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!