Coffee grinder recommendation for Cafelat Robot

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Juniorcoffeelover22

#1: Post by Juniorcoffeelover22 »

Hello everyone

I need help with deciding on a coffee grinder for the cafelat robot. My budget allows me to choose only between some grinders which on sale now and I can purchase one.
The options are: Graef cm 702 (now called as WPM ZD-12), Ascaso i2 mini, Obel junior pro or the doser model, or the Lelit PL043MMI.

The WPM ZD-12 was recommended to me by a seller on the local coffee shop as a machine that will do the job and will be enough for the cafelat robot. But I don't know if the ground size will be uniform enough and consistent, compared to more expensive grinders which my budget cannot allow.

Thanks!

Jonk

#2: Post by Jonk »

Locally, Graef CM 702 is the cheapest grinder that will do good enough to work for espresso. It's not very enjoyable to use, you'll need to slap it around to get most of the grounds out the chute and definitely break up clumps with WDT.. But if you're on a tight budget, yes it'll do the trick.

Seems like your budget might allow for a good hand grinder though? For example a Kinu M47 Phoenix will be a big step up from the grinders you've mentioned, pair well with the Robot and less overall hassle.

GeorgeP922

#3: Post by GeorgeP922 »

I looked up all of theses grinders. If all I had was 150-250$ USD (the range of items you just asked about) I think you would do yourself a great service and look and wait for something used.
I know I will get some disagreement but shop by burr size, lets say 55mm flat minimum (64mm or more ideal) or 68mm conical (if you can get used Mazzer Kony jump on it).
I don't live in Israel so I have no idea how many home baristas there are compared to cafes, but try to find other folks like us. Even if they had the grinder 10 years, it might have 10-30 more years more too go.
You wont get that with the motors and burr sets found in the cheapest models.
If you can afford/save to spend 700$ to 2000$ new you can choose from the best Italian, Spanish or German grinders. I suggest Eureka, Compak and Mahlkonig ($, $$, $$$)

If you want to single dose grind, consider the Chinese DF64 (alibaba) grinder. There is a lot of hype on this Single Dosing grinder!
If you heard of the Niche grinder (UK "design" made in China) basically this grinder is the response to it's deficiencies.
I am ready to order it as a second grinder, just can't decide, Black, White, or Silver.
USA has a distributor which is great, sadly they don't have all the colors when ordering direct.
It is 520$ USD (oh there is European distribution in UK and Belgium)

Good luck.

Juniorcoffeelover22 (original poster)

#4: Post by Juniorcoffeelover22 (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:Locally, Graef CM 702 is the cheapest grinder that will do good enough to work for espresso. It's not very enjoyable to use, you'll need to slap it around to get most of the grounds out the chute and definitely break up clumps with WDT.. But if you're on a tight budget, yes it'll do the trick.

Seems like your budget might allow for a good hand grinder though? For example a Kinu M47 Phoenix will be a big step up from the grinders you've mentioned, pair well with the Robot and less overall hassle.
I looked up all of theses grinders. If all I had was 150-250$ USD (the range of items you just asked about) I think you would do yourself a great service and look and wait for something used.
I know I will get some disagreement but shop by burr size, lets say 55mm flat minimum (64mm or more ideal) or 68mm conical (if you can get used Mazzer Kony jump on it).
I don't live in Israel so I have no idea how many home baristas there are compared to cafes, but try to find other folks like us. Even if they had the grinder 10 years, it might have 10-30 more years more too go.
You wont get that with the motors and burr sets found in the cheapest models.
If you can afford/save to spend 700$ to 2000$ new you can choose from the best Italian, Spanish or German grinders. I suggest Eureka, Compak and Mahlkonig ($, $$, $$$)

If you want to single dose grind, consider the Chinese DF64 (alibaba) grinder. There is a lot of hype on this Single Dosing grinder!
If you heard of the Niche grinder (UK "design" made in China) basically this grinder is the response to it's deficiencies.
I am ready to order it as a second grinder, just can't decide, Black, White, or Silver.
USA has a distributor which is great, sadly they don't have all the colors when ordering direct.
It is 520$ USD (oh there is European distribution in UK and Belgium)

Good luck.
Guys thank you so much for your answer and effort. There is a problem of baristas in Israel and a lot of models of any kind of brand is missing here. For example there is no Baratza or Mazzer in here, and if there is - the price is high since there is no compatition between stores.
Anyway, I have a Bialetti hand grinder, which can grind fine enough, but I guess not doing it so good, even though it is consistent. The problem with hand grinders is the time - With the Bialetti I grind 20 grams of coffee in ~10 minutes and I put a lot of effort to grind it fast enough. I get frustrated by the time to grind one shot. I don't know if all the hand grinders take so much time, but I assumed all of them kind of the same.
And I can get 3.5 years used rancilio rocky in a half price which I can buy with my budget, do you think it is a good deal? It's price is 293$ instead of 490$ . there is also used K3 for 370$.
The niche zero is too expensive IMO .
Thanks again

GregoryJ

#5: Post by GregoryJ »

10 mins grinding by hand :O Most hand grinders I've used take ~45-60 seconds to grind 18g for espresso, the BPlus Apollo is strangely fast at 30 seconds.

I don't know how available Baratza is for you, but the Baratza Sette 30 might work ok for you. The Sette 270 might be more ideal, but if you want to save money with the 30, the step size will probably be workable with the Robot since you can adjust pressure as you please.

randytsuch

#6: Post by randytsuch »

10 minutes is crazy.

Takes about 90 secs to grind my morning shot with my kinu.

Jonk

#7: Post by Jonk »

Juniorcoffeelover22 wrote: there is also used K3 for 370$.
I assume that's 370 shekels? Sounds like a good deal for a Compak K3.

Juniorcoffeelover22 (original poster)

#8: Post by Juniorcoffeelover22 (original poster) »

GregoryJ wrote:10 mins grinding by hand :O Most hand grinders I've used take ~45-60 seconds to grind 18g for espresso, the BPlus Apollo is strangely fast at 30 seconds.

I don't know how available Baratza is for you, but the Baratza Sette 30 might work ok for you. The Sette 270 might be more ideal, but if you want to save money with the 30, the step size will probably be workable with the Robot since you can adjust pressure as you please.
randytsuch wrote: 10 minutes is crazy.

Takes about 90 secs to grind my morning shot with my kinu.
Can you realize it? I thought 10 min for 18 grams is standard and everyone is putting that much effort with hand grinders!! And sellers at shops in Israel claim it is also good for espresso. So when I realised that a good hand grinders like comandante and 1Zpresso JX pro can grind in less than a minute I got totally shocked and felt like I bought a garbage (which is true IMO).
hahaha anyway, I guess I'll go for the 1zpresso JX-PRO because of the espresso grinding precision and the speed. I surely enjoy the robot that way.
Jonk wrote: I assume that's 370 shekels? Sounds like a good deal for a Compak K3.
It is 370 in US dollars and 1,200 in new israeli shekels. BTW the price for a new one is 1,700 shekels or so. Compared to other machines I saw, it is not too high I guess.

Jonk

#9: Post by Jonk »

Juniorcoffeelover22 wrote:It is 370 in US dollars and 1,200 in new israeli shekels.
Ouch. Is the second hand market that bad in Israel? I would advise against the electric grinders you've mentioned and go with a good hand grinder like you say. I don't know how good the adjustment is on the 1zpresso JX Pro and Bplus Apollo but it seems most users are satisfied. Kinu M47 Phoenix is in the same price range and the setting is actually stepless, so you'll never be forced to adjust dose or pressure on the levers to make the grind work.

GregoryJ

#10: Post by GregoryJ »

Hi Junior, don't worry, a lot of us started the coffee journey using a ceramic burr grinder that takes a lot more time and effort than it should.

The 1Zpresso grinders are great, and you should be able to grind an espresso dose in <60 sec. It will be much easier than the other hand grinder you mentioned, but still might not be easy. But, I used hand grinders for espresso for a couple years until I decided I wanted to throw more money at the grinder for convenience :)