Coffee grinder - P64 for both espresso and filter, or two separate

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Yoda

#1: Post by Yoda »

Hi all,

so I am looking to upgrade my grinder - for a few years I have been using C40, but I feel a need to get something not-manual :)

Currently, I am doing well over 80% of pour overs, as I am quite new to espresso at home, but planning to get a better machine at some point in the future - potentially this year. With the pour overs, I tend to have a few coffees opened at the same time, so a single dose is a must for me. Also, as I am mainly into filters coffee (right now), I am looking for a flat burr grinder.
Having that in mind, and after my research, I struggle to decide, whether it is worth it for me to go for a grinder like P64, use it for pour overs mainly, and occasionally switch to espresso, or even do espresso grinding in C40 with RC, and keep p64 for pour over only, or would it be overkill, and totally not worth money?
The alternative that I am considering, was getting something filter coffee dedicated - like Ode, save money, and get another grinder for espresso, once I would feel that my C40 is not enough.
Maybe there are other pour over grinders, that could be occasionally used for espresso that I was not considering?

Looking forward to hearing some ideas :) Thanks!

Coffee_hound

#2: Post by Coffee_hound »

I have been using a DF64 for espresso, aeropress, filter coffee and have been quite happy.
When doing research I read many posts suggesting you have to have a dedicated espresso grinder to avoid the pain of re-dialing in your espresso settings after using the grinder for anything else. I am grinding for espresso 90% of the time however if I feel like an aeropress or pot of filter I have found it easy to adjust the grinder and almost everytime I can return to my previous espresso settings with no impact to my shot timing.
As far as taste I think it is good but have a narrow frame of reference having only owned a Hario skerton which I used for aeropress. I definitely don't miss hand grinding lighter roasts with the Hario.

Starspawn2318

#3: Post by Starspawn2318 »

Any of those 64mm burr grinders are great choices for you.

The P64
The Acaia Orbit
DF64
The Zerno is pretty new but probably good, might wana wait for some reviews

The bigger thing for you will be burr choice. Just making sure you choose a burr that will do pour over and espresso well. A lot of people enjoy the 64mm SSP MP burrs.

As far as a filter dedicated grinder. Thats a reasonable option too. In some ways a nice luxury. One grinder for filter. Don't need to purge beans when you want to switch beans or change the grind setting for espresso. Thats nice. But totally a luxury. The other thing Is that I'm personally not a big fan of the SSP MP for espresso (although most other people like it just fine so don't read too much into that) and so me personally, I would rather have an Ode for the filter or a grinder with the SSP MP for filter and then another grinder with burrs I like better for espresso. But thats a luxury and a very particular thing to me. You might like the SSP MP for both.

If I were you I'd probably start with one grinder and the C40 and see how that works for you and go from there. Because that might be totally adequate for you.

Ad-85

#4: Post by Ad-85 »

I just got p64 few months back and the alignment on the new version sucks. I recommend g64 chinese copy for espresso and fellow ode 2 for pour over and you still save money even if you get 2 ssp sets on top of those grinders.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

gongfugang

#5: Post by gongfugang »

I love the P64 for pour overs-if you have the $$ it's well worth it IMO. I use it 95% for pour over and 5% for espresso. It's not a huge deal to switch between the two, but I wouldn't want to do it regularly. Just write down the setting you had it on, take a pic of the dial, and you're good. I just wouldn't want to do it daily simply cause I think it would get annoying. I'm a big fan of having a dedicated pour over grinder, which is basically what my P64 is.

gongfugang

#6: Post by gongfugang »

Ad-85 wrote:I just got p64 few months back and the alignment on the new version sucks.
Did you get it direct from Lagom? I got mine in January from Prima (I'm US based) and alignment was fine-I had to take the safety mechanism off and reset my zero point to be just a hair before chirp, but it wasn't a big deal and ultimately probably wasn't super necessary. Maybe Prima checks the alignment, or I was just lucky.

fxroberge
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by fxroberge »

Ad-85 wrote:I just got p64 few months back and the alignment on the new version sucks. I recommend g64 chinese copy for espresso and fellow ode 2 for pour over and you still save money even if you get 2 ssp sets on top of those grinders.
Got mine a few months back as well and no such problem. Loving it for both filter and espresso and I switch between the two on a daily basis.

Just write down your grind settings so you can go back to them easily
In the pursuit of the perfect cup

Yoda (original poster)

#8: Post by Yoda (original poster) »

Starspawn2318 wrote:Any of those 64mm burr grinders are great choices for you.
The P64
The Acaia Orbit
DF64
The Zerno is pretty new but probably good, might wana wait for some reviews

The bigger thing for you will be burr choice. Just making sure you choose a burr that will do pour over and espresso well. A lot of people enjoy the 64mm SSP MP burrs.
Yes, you are right, when it comes to burrs, I had a chance to try SSP MP, and I am quite set on going for them, as they produce the clarity I am looking for - so I would love to get a grinder, where I can fit them :)

My understanding was, based on what I have read that the DF64 is mainly espresso-based, so tbh I so not considering it at all.

Because currently I rarely switch from pour overs to espresso (mainly on the weekends), one grinder would be already a big step up for me, when suited with SSP MP.
The biggest issue with Ode that I have, is that once I upgrade my espresso setup, I would not be able to use it, and I would start looking for another grinder - luxury, as you called it, but the P64/Orbit are a huge step up, and also very pricy.

Would you have any recommendations/suggestions for a flat burr grinder, that could occasionally do espresso, but not as expensive as P64?

Yoda (original poster)

#9: Post by Yoda (original poster) »

gongfugang wrote:I love the P64 for pour overs-if you have the $$ it's well worth it IMO. I use it 95% for pour over and 5% for espresso. It's not a huge deal to switch between the two, but I wouldn't want to do it regularly. Just write down the setting you had it on, take a pic of the dial, and you're good. I just wouldn't want to do it daily simply cause I think it would get annoying. I'm a big fan of having a dedicated pour over grinder, which is basically what my P64 is.
fxroberge wrote:Got mine a few months back as well and no such problem. Loving it for both filter and espresso and I switch between the two on a daily basis.

Just write down your grind settings so you can go back to them easily
Are you using the SSP MP, or the Mizen burrs?

gongfugang

#10: Post by gongfugang replying to Yoda »

Mizen