Choosing an espresso machine based on retailer - brick and mortar vs online

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Pdxgold

#1: Post by Pdxgold »

I'm trying to figure out what to get for my first espresso machine. After much reading and research, I've decided on a HX machine with E61 group head, and am leaning towards the Lelit PL62T. I've looked at a lot of different machines around the $1,500 price point and from what I can tell, they seem to be pretty similar with a few different features here and there. The Lelit seems to have the best combination of features for the price.

I live in Portland, OR very close to both Seattle Coffee Gear and Clive coffee, so I've gone to both of those stores to check out their machines (Rocket Appartamento and Quickmill Andreja). My question is whether I should consider buying one of these machines because the service/support will be easier and (most likely) better. I really like the idea of buying it in a store,but those machines aren't exactly what I want. i shouldn't really be worried about online purchasing, since that's the only option most people in the US have anyways, right?

If I were to get the Lelit, I think I would get it from 1st-Line, which is one of the listed vendors for this site. Seems like they have good customer service and They offer a 2 year warranty. I've also read on this site that you shouldn't really have to worry about actually sending your machine to the vendor/manufacturer since these are quality machines. Thanks for your input!

royalewithcheese

#2: Post by royalewithcheese »

I lean towards brick and mortar wherever possible, though I'll admit that's at least in part from years of working in bicycle shops. To me, being able to get support in person is very beneficial, as well as avoiding shipping should there be a problem. That being said I live literally across the street from a (non-stocking) La Marzocco dealer and as a LMLM is way out of my price range I ordered a BDB from Clive.

Lacoffee

#3: Post by Lacoffee »

My thought is buy the machine you want from the place that sells it the cheapest. As long as they are not some fly by night vendor with horrible reviews or zero reputation. I bought my profitec from WLL and have nothing but good things to say about it. The stainless panels got somewhat bent in ups transit and WLL facilitated an insurance claim. I am now the owner of two entire sets of panels, one still in the plastic.
Andrew

JavaRanger

#4: Post by JavaRanger »

My 2 cents... If you can buy from someone who you trust and that is near buy. You will have you HX e61 for 10 year if you care for it or u till you decide to upgrade.

At some point you will have to work on it, and is great if it gets over your head and thry are close enough to help you out.

IntrepidQ3

#5: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

Get the shiny box you want, you will be spending enough money on it! If you can find that machine at a reputable shop near you definitely go for that. I can say I bought mine online from Chris Coffee. I had a busted gasket at the heating element for the steam boiler. I shipped it in, they did the service, and shipped it back. It could not have gone smoother. The only down fall with this arrangement is the cost of shipping the machine back and forth, it is not cheap. But I can look at my machine everyday with out any buyers remorse or wishing I was looking at a different machine.

Brick and mortar or online buy the machine you want from a reliable outfit that has a warranty. It's a machine and something will go wrong at some point and you want someone that can back up their product.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud