Choosing between La Marzocco GS3 MP and Decent Espresso DE1XXL - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Randy G.

#31: Post by Randy G. »

There is another parallel in my life and point of view in all this, and it revolves around drip machines. The Technivorm Moccamaster sells for around $329. It is tough enough that I do not ever remember reading about one that failed here on HB, and many have praised it here. The Behmor Brazen Plus sells for $199. The Technivorm has one temperature and one brew cycle which is basically on and off. The Brazen has a user setting for the preinfusion duration, adjustable temperature in one degree increments, pulse brewing, a timer for auto brew, a setting for altitude, and a calibration cycle to adjust to the boiling point where it is located and that function also adjusts to compensate for electronic drift for repeatable brewing results. For $50 more there is also an app-controlled model. The difference between the two raises the question, "Would you rather adjust your coffee to match your brewer, or adjust your brewer to match your coffee?" A simplified example but I feel my point is clear.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

drH

#32: Post by drH »

I totally agree with that. I have a Moccamaster. Adjusting grind and the occasional stir can get you where you want. The additional variables in other coffee makers sometimes leave me unhappy with the process.

clokwork (original poster)

#33: Post by clokwork (original poster) »

I have a Niche grinder currently. While I won't be spending as much as the machine, I am most certainly eyeing the Option-o p64. I think that can add value to my current grinder.

Primacog

#34: Post by Primacog »

In terms of functionality, I cannot really see how a p64 adds anything to a properly aligned df64 with an ssp burr upgrade despite being almost 3 times the price. The only thing the p64 can do that the df64 cannot is variable rpm. Or you could alternatively just jump.straight away to the p100.
LMWDP #729

JoeSventek

#35: Post by JoeSventek »

Quester wrote:With the DE1, by the time I've prepped the shot, the machine is ready to pull it.
Interesting. Does that mean that you don't (need to?) preheat the portafilter?

Quester

#36: Post by Quester replying to JoeSventek »

Great question. I don't think you need to, but I pull a partial "shot" with an empty portafilter to heat my BPLUS screen. Without doing this, my first shot runs a bit slower than subsequent shots--which I suspect is also do to the warming of the burrs. How much is the one and how much is the other--I'm not sure.

russel

#37: Post by russel »

Marshall wrote:The GS3 is a semi-commercial machine with large boilers and should either be used with its built-in timer for morning turn-on or just left on 24/7.
This is absolutely the case...even using the built in timer will shorten the interval between service, I know from experience x2 GS3s
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Randy G.

#38: Post by Randy G. »

JoeSventek wrote:Interesting. Does that mean that you don't (need to?) preheat the portafilter?
I have used bottomless portafilters exclusively for so many years I did not think of that. Easy enough to run some hot water through it before getting down to business. Since the DE has no cup warmer you could run the water and catch it with the cup to heat both at the same time. It's how I worm my cups. You can set the volume or weight of water dispensed and while it is pouring you can complete other tasks.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

clokwork (original poster)

#39: Post by clokwork (original poster) »

russel wrote:This is absolutely the case...even using the built in timer will shorten the interval between service, I know from experience x2 GS3s
Excellent news. I was very curious about how closely I would need to follow the recommended 6mo/12mo maintenance. Especially replacing the seals in the group head. Hopefully for my low usage and 3-4 hour on time each day, it won't be required as often, but I also want to err on the side of caution. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

russel

#40: Post by russel replying to clokwork »

You've got it backwards...the more often the machine heats up from a cold state, the more service it will need as parts wear and scale faster and sooner. Leaving the machine on 24/7 is the best way to use it
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com