Choosing between La Marzocco GS3 MP and Decent Espresso DE1XXL - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Randy G.

#21: Post by Randy G. »

clokwork wrote:I was considering the XXL for its quicker warmup time (according to Decent's video). That's the primary reason..
You would have to be in a big hurry to need that. I start cold every morning. Turn on tablet, power button on, start the Decent heating with the touch pad on the group, and although I never timed it, it only takes maybe three or four minutes before the machine is ready to brew.

The other benefit of not having the XXL is that you can pack the machine in its suitcase and take it anywhere with a standard USA wall outlet.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
* 21st Anniversary 2000-2021 *

clokwork (original poster)

#22: Post by clokwork (original poster) » replying to Randy G. »

Extremely valid points!! Thank you.

#23: Post by clokwork (original poster) »

Thank you for the comparisons. This is certainly not an easy choice. I thought it would be cut-and-dried, but that's definitely not the case. My mind was made up, but now I'm in denial.

Milligan

#24: Post by Milligan »

Another question that I haven't seen come up yet in this discussion would be, do you entertain from time to time? Which machine could keep up better with a small group gathering? Say something like 5-10 drinks with some being milk in succession. I don't own either machine, but it may be something to consider as well.

Randy G.

#25: Post by Randy G. » replying to Milligan »

I know my DE1XL can steam immediately after an extraction and the brew cycle can be repeated faster than you can prepare a portafilter. The drawback is that it cannot steam and extract at the same time. But for the price of the LM you could buy two DE1XLs and have that covered.. :wink:
I certainly considered the level of technology of the DE and being a relatively new company before purchase, and I was in a financial position to buy just about any machine I wanted or could justify. But I did want more control over the extraction and no machine can compare to the DE. It may be a lot more than most want or need, but having it is better than wanting it because you don't have it. I am well past the point in life where looks are important and so is my wife. After all, she's been married to me for five decades.. :shock:
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
* 21st Anniversary 2000-2021 *

#26: Post by clokwork (original poster) »

I will just have to get both over time and see who survives. This seems like the only answer. I will have to put my foot down on counter space. I'll update you if I lose said foot.

harris
Supporter ❤

#27: Post by harris »

It's the age old question; Ginger or Mary Ann?

prust
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by prust »

Having owned a high end Italian HX for many years and a Decent XL for two, the real difference for me is the ability the Decent gives you to improve. The graphs show you what has happened, they can be automatically uploaded to visualizer and shared with the community for feedback. You can't improve what you can't measure. The Decent gives you the measurement data and makes it easy to see how changes impact your results.

cmin

#29: Post by cmin »

Randy G. wrote:I know my DE1XL can steam immediately after an extraction and the brew cycle can be repeated faster than you can prepare a portafilter. The drawback is that it cannot steam and extract at the same time. But for the price of the LM you could buy two DE1XLs and have that covered.. :wink:
I certainly considered the level of technology of the DE and being a relatively new company before purchase, and I was in a financial position to buy just about any machine I wanted or could justify. But I did want more control over the extraction and no machine can compare to the DE. It may be a lot more than most want or need, but having it is better than wanting it because you don't have it. I am well past the point in life where looks are important and so is my wife. After all, she's been married to me for five decades.. :shock:
I honestly rarely ever pulled/steamed at same time with any DB I've had including the GS3. I get some harp on that but it's not a big deal, the Decents are basically immediately on demand steam right after pulling.

BaristaBob

#30: Post by BaristaBob »

You have heard from the best and most experienced here. Just to add from my experience...remember your grinder should cost typically as much if not more than your espresso machine. If you're fairly new at this game, I'd opt for the lower cost machine and really learn what you need in a machine. Just my 2 cents.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"