Challenge: new single-serve brewer for coffee desired

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
N6GQ

#1: Post by N6GQ »

So I'm a gear geek. Of course I dig coffee too. Here's the deal. I spend a good part of my day in my home office, which is upstairs and rather isolated from the rest of my house. Currently I drink a lot of tea (puerh, oolong, etc.) and have that set up just right and it all works well.

For Christmas, my wife got me an Ember cup (10 oz). I'd like to incorporate that into my office lifestyle. I'd like a single-serve brewer for coffee. I already have a V60 and associated gear, but wondering about other methods that would work up there. At 10 ounce brews I'd go through a lot of filters in a day to have a few cups of coffee, and not sure I want to deal with a filter each time I make coffee. I don't have running water in my office so rinsing out a french press each time doesn't scale well.

Any suggestions on good single-small-serving brewing methods and gear? Preferably ones that don't require changing filters each time? Maybe a metal filter pour over? Not sure if any of those are any good though.

Got any suggestions/ideas for what might fit into this picture? Thanks :mrgreen:
LMWDP #614

Advertisement
N6GQ (original poster)

#2: Post by N6GQ (original poster) »

I have an Aeropress - never used it but maybe it'll fit the bill? We'll see. Other ideas?
LMWDP #614

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Plinyyounger »

I just started fiddling with a Moka pot, and I see now why it's in so many Italians homes. Wonderful coffee and it's easy. I make espresso with my espresso machine, but I make coffee with the Moka pot. I grind course, near French press course and I really enjoy the cup I'm getting. It's a great little pot, no wonder it has been around so long!
Family, coffee and fun.

mckolit

#4: Post by mckolit »

https://kinto-usa.com/collections/slow- ... 6752358448

Kinto makes a nice pour over set. 300 ml so would suit your needs. Comes with a metal filter so that won't be an issue for you. Just bring enough beans with you and you'll be set.

N6GQ (original poster)

#5: Post by N6GQ (original poster) replying to mckolit »

Interesting, thanks!
LMWDP #614

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

Siphon brewer?

Cona, Hario, Yama, ...

Multiple manufacturers make little butane burners that are a bit safer than alcohol burners.

By Cona All-Glass Coffeemaker, Factory photo release 2019 - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=82034334

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by JB90068 »

Do you like espresso? What about a Picopresso and a hand grinder?
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Advertisement
mkane
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mkane »

N6GQ (original poster)

#9: Post by N6GQ (original poster) »

JB90068 wrote:Do you like espresso? What about a Picopresso and a hand grinder?
Thanks, I'm pretty good on espresso :mrgreen:
LMWDP #614

DamianWarS

#10: Post by DamianWarS »

N6GQ wrote:So I'm a gear geek. Of course I dig coffee too. Here's the deal. I spend a good part of my day in my home office, which is upstairs and rather isolated from the rest of my house. Currently I drink a lot of tea (puerh, oolong, etc.) and have that set up just right and it all works well.

For Christmas, my wife got me an Ember cup (10 oz). I'd like to incorporate that into my office lifestyle. I'd like a single-serve brewer for coffee. I already have a V60 and associated gear, but wondering about other methods that would work up there. At 10 ounce brews I'd go through a lot of filters in a day to have a few cups of coffee, and not sure I want to deal with a filter each time I make coffee. I don't have running water in my office so rinsing out a french press each time doesn't scale well.

Any suggestions on good single-small-serving brewing methods and gear? Preferably ones that don't require changing filters each time? Maybe a metal filter pour over? Not sure if any of those are any good though.

Got any suggestions/ideas for what might fit into this picture? Thanks :mrgreen:
Espro Bloom may be a good option. it has some properitary pleated paper filter which drives me nuts but they are optional and you can use them without a filter which may be a good option for this minmalist setup you're looking for. but if you don't have a filter then the brewer needs to be rinsed (like a press pot) so filters have post-brew value because they contain the mess, you just pick up the paper filter and toss it. the rest hardly needs a rinse or a dry wipe would be fine.

areopress is a nice option because the filters are small and easy to store and clean up is almost as satisfying as the coffee, something you need to experience to understand. the filters are 2.5in in diameter, and if you go to a craft store or shop online you can buy a 2.5in punch and make you're own filters punching out whatever filter material you want but it comes with a lot of filters and they are easy enough to buy. For clean up the puck/filter gets popped out into the trash, there is a bit of residue and I think a rinse would be better than wiping it with a cloth.

a good no nonsense brewer is the Clever brewer. it's a melitta style of brewer that has a unique "steep and release" mechanism that has a type of pressure switch that's activated by placing it on a cup. so until it's placed on the cup you can brew it anywhere without it leaking, place it on the cup and all the coffee comes out, take it off and it stops. this is handy especaily if you have a small set up because the brew is contained in the brewer until you're ready to release it. it takes melitta filters which are widely avaialble in most grocery stores plus they store flat so the storage is minimal. clean up is easy, when finished, take the filter and toss it with the grinds. it has a lid and a little tray it can sit in so drips don't get everywhere when finished.

I don't have the Espro Bloom but I do have the aeropress and clever. I would personally use the aeropress for travel convience but perhaps the clever for a minimalst brewer at a desk setup. I work in coffee however so my "office" has a fully stocked coffee bar next to me so I don't tend to have this problem.