Ceado E37SD on sale, is it worth it?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
coffeemania

#1: Post by coffeemania »

Hi, I am looking for some advice on a possible grinder upgrade. I follow a pre-weighed single dose work flow.

Currently I am using a Baratza Sette 270, which has been decent, however, the noise (especially for significant other on Teams calls) and the promise of better taste profiles on light roast beans with large flat burrs has got me thinking. Also, I promised the Sette to a friend who wants to get into espresso after I upgrade.

I know the Ceado E37SD is not perfect, but its going for a pretty good deal at the moment CAD1890 and it is available. I read for example the motor may be under powered. When comparing it to other options, it looks like a pretty good deal. Is this something to stay away from or could this be a solid offer?

Other options would also be appreciated :)

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

I definitely would research the past threads on the Ceado E37-series grinders.

Some of the things that I would look into are problems with "mohawk" distribution and retention (which is not the same as getting the same weight out as you put in).

For me, a grinder in that price range that isn't using the popular 64 or 98 mm burrs is at a disadvantage for future upgrades. Burr design and how to take advantage of it is changing rapidly. With the P64 seemingly around $2,095 CAD (Cafune), for me, that would be my choice.

Finley72
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Finley72 »

I decided to take chance on the E37SD for $1890 and upgrade my Niche. I also installed the HU SSP burrs right away.
For context I've also previously owned the E37S and yes I got to experience the center middle distribution issue.
The single dose workflow is similar no matter which grinder your using. The Niche is definitely easier for workflow as has been stated in many places, however the E37SD with 83mm SSP burrs have most definitely improved my espresso and pour over quality and consistency.
I upgraded since I was looking for a different experience from the Niche. I was looking at the Key, however it isn't shipping until 2023. I did consider other 64mm grinders, however I already have a Mahlkonig E65S GBW and didn't want similar size burrs, I suppose I'm still lurking for and "end game single dose". For now I'm happy with the quality of the coffee this grinder makes.

coffeemania (original poster)

#4: Post by coffeemania (original poster) replying to Finley72 »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. When stacking things up based on specs, availability & sale price it still looks imperfectly attractive.

Did not know there were SSP compatible burrs available.. if you don't mind, what was the approx final cost for those burrs?

What were the biggest issue for single dose workflow you have with the E37SD?

My previous grinder was a Mazzer Super Jolly with 64mm SSP burrs and I have a similar feeling of wanting to try something different which is why the 83mm is appealing. Curious to see how your experience progresses.

Sorry for all the questions!

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by PIXIllate »

There are a few used Kafatek Monolith grinders around if you look. If this is the last grinder you want to buy it might be worth skipping the Ceado's. Lots of reports of unhappy people if you use search.

Finley72
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Finley72 »

I agree imperfectly attractive is probably is a way to describe it. The SSP burrs were $400 Cdn so all in it was around $2300. I had read and watched a lot about these burrs and wanted a grinder to use then. (And not a 64mm) I also wanted a grinder to swap from espresso to pour over.
I've been watching for the P100, however still unavailable right away and with exchange and duties I'm well over $4000 so I decided to give the SD a go for now.
The single dose workflow, like I mentioned, really isn't much different than my Niche. I really don't think I would call them issues though, just workflow. I always weighed, RDT, grind into dosing cup, bellows and weighed again. Then dose into porta filter and WDT. The E37SD adds bellows, removing the rubber chute cover and a quick sweep of the chute to get the last .2 - .4 grams in to the dosing cup. You do need to RDT with this grinder where as the Niche it could be optional.
I don't find much retention. What I put in for weight, I get out. Having owned the E37S previously I already appreciated how easy it was to remove the burrs and clean. The one difference I noticed is the SD doesn't have any silicone flap or exit clump crusher. It looks like 2 small bars and then exit chute so there isn't any place for the grinds to get caught up or caked onto.
For now I've satisfied my reason for moving along the Niche. I enjoyed it, however I've realize I like flat burrs better and a little more clarity without losing too much of the traditional espresso I enjoy.

BaristaMcBob

#7: Post by BaristaMcBob »

I own the E37S. It's the older version with the slide adjustment and bean hopper. The newer version has the worm gear adjustment. Both have the same 83mm burr set and motor.

This is my third grinder. First a Baratza, then Rancilio Rocky, and now this Ceado. I don't understand how people can comment that it's underpowered. It's a beast. Smooth, quiet, and precise is how I would describe it. It is a dream to use and not something you'd ever appreciate by reading specs online. It will grind 18g of medium roast in 4.4 seconds.

Disassembly is also easy. I had to clean the burrs on my Rocky every few months because they would get gunked up. I opened my Ceado after 6 months and it was still perfectly clean. The slower RPM and the larger burrs helps keep the grind cooler and avoid the gunk build up. I've had this Ceado for a few years. I check it periodically but it has never needed cleaning.

The E37J is externally the same, but has a smaller burr set. All else is the same, except it takes longer to grind the same amount. About 8 seconds for 18g.

You can save a lot of money by giving up the single-dose hopper (not avail on the E37J) and go with the E37J.

One other difference with the "J" model is that the trigger switch is not programmable, whereas it is on the "S" model. Meaning, the switch can be set to press-and-hold or press-once. I like the press-once feature because I can jiggle the portafilter while grinding - helps distribute the grinds.

I've measured the retainage to be about 3g to 5g. I solve this problem by setting my single-dose button to .5 seconds. That's enough to purge stale grinds. With this technique, retention is irrelevant as I prime the chute with fresh grinds.

Using the built-in timer, the weight is fairly consistent. My target is 17g for a 21g basket. I get anywhere between 16.8 to 17.4. One important thing to note, is that the beans are highly sensitive to changes in humidity. So ANY grinder will have variable output using the same grind setting.

Obviously, you won't have that problem with the single-dose hopper since is has a bellows to puff out the last powder. My personal view based on years of trying to get the best shot is that I would not use a single pre-measured dose because it just adds extra steps, which becomes cumbersome at dinner parties when you have to crank out 7 or 8 drinks. Secondly, I draw an espresso using the 2:1 ratio. So, if my grinder produces 17g, then I'll brew until the output is 34g. However, if my grinder happens to give me 17.5g, then I'll just pull 35g. So, in my opinion, there's no real benefit to grinding EXACTLY 17.000 grams of beans. Yes, you can keep unused beans in a canister, but you can still do that with a standard bean hopper. I fill my hopper with two day's supply.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by buckersss »

coffeemania wrote:Hi, I am looking for some advice on a possible grinder upgrade. I follow a pre-weighed single dose work flow.

Currently I am using a Baratza Sette 270, which has been decent, however, the noise (especially for significant other on Teams calls) and the promise of better taste profiles on light roast beans with large flat burrs has got me thinking. Also, I promised the Sette to a friend who wants to get into espresso after I upgrade.

I know the Ceado E37SD is not perfect, but its going for a pretty good deal at the moment CAD1890 and it is available. I read for example the motor may be under powered. When comparing it to other options, it looks like a pretty good deal. Is this something to stay away from or could this be a solid offer?

Other options would also be appreciated :)
Haven't used it but hard pass IMO. On paper it's way underpowered compared to competitors. If you are set on Ceado, grab the E8D at idrinkcoffee if it's still on sale for ~1200 cad. It's a great deal. I don't need it and I thought of pulling the trigger on it just for shits. It has a motor that is 185% as powerful as the E37SD. Then wholelatte love sells the worm gear add on that I believe would be compatible for ~400 cad. I would call them to mark sure it's compatible but it looks like it is. You saved ~300 cad and got a better machine in the end.

If I had to buy again I'm not sure I'd buy a Ceado, but that E8D looks like a hell of a deal.

Finley72
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Finley72 »

I would not use a single pre-measured dose because it just adds extra steps, which becomes cumbersome at dinner parties when you have to crank out 7 or 8 drinks.
Agreed. I have a Mahlkonig I use to make multiple shots quickly. The Ceado is for days off when I have time to enjoy making espresso. And for multiple use, espresso, pour over, decaf etc

TreCime

#10: Post by TreCime »

Like Bob, I have an older E37 and also get about 3 - 5 grams of retention, which I purge. It's definitely a better grinder with beans in the hopper, so if that's something you're looking for, I can recommend. Outstanding espresso grinder (I drink mostly light, filter roasts). If your heart is set on a true single doser, I'd be surprised if the newer SD version is really up to snuff as a single doser.