Ceado E37S versus E37SD

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Qrumcof

#1: Post by Qrumcof »

I'm hoping to get advice on which to buy (I have no experience with either grinder; only online research).

The grinders seem substantially similar.. the SD adds titanium burrs and a slightly slower rpm, and the single dose hopper (I believe it's a slightly different motor as well). I get the impression Ceado tested the machine in a lab and chose the RPMs to optimize the titanium burr (but $2400 is hard to swallow).

But what does this mean for a home user like me, who might have one coffee per day sometimes two? And I probably will want to change out the coffee more than most. If I find a favorite coffee and just leave beans in the hopper, I guess all I need to do is grind a few grams (to purge the grounds out of the burrs) each morning. But I like to "optimize." So the E 37SD is calling out to me.

When I buy coffee, I plan to split it up into quarters or thirds and store them in the freezer (I know double bag, airtight, let them come to room temperature before opening the bag, etc.).. Most likely (with either machine) I will store the beans I'm using at room temperature at the grinder. And then use a scale when I want to measure a dose for grinding.

But I see a lot of posts where those more experienced than I are complaining that is just too much trouble to use the single dosing method. So what are the pros and cons of perhaps using the E37S in single dosing mode, and then when I get tired of that I would have the option of storing beans in the hopper?

At this price point can there really be much difference in the cup b/t the two machines? (Like with home stereo equipment, once you reach a certain price point a $10,000 amplifier may only give you 5% improvement).

I noticed the titanium burrs are a little different (than the regular burrs), and someone said the slightly slower engine speed combined with the titanium burr was to reduce pop-corning (I don't know that's what I read). So it seems like I could pop $370 for the titanium burr upgrade, and "maybe" have 90% performance of the E37SD machine.

Am I missing asking about any fantastic grinders in the ballpark of these two?

mohninme

#2: Post by mohninme »

I bought a second hand E37S to use pretty much as you have described. I primarily single dose with it but have the option to revert to the hopper if/when I desire. I purchased some of SD components to mod my S version. It works very well. The S version shows up for sale fairly often here on HB.

The E37 grinders carry a fairly high price point. If your prepared to buy a new SD version, I would argue that you could spend your money better on two grinders by buying a Niche for single dosing and a Sette or a Eureka model for your hopper grinder. Every serious coffee geek needs at least two grinders.

There are some good threads here on HB about the value of having two grinders.
Michael

Qrumcof (original poster)

#3: Post by Qrumcof (original poster) »

Thank you michael,

May use will probably be one coffee a day, maybe two. I'm concerned about wasting beans (having to purge stale grounds every morning when using a hopper). I forgot to mention, that I fell in love with the ceado's quiet operation.

I Sw a lady at Whole Laté Love who inspired confidence. Her advice was to use the E37S because it's a very good grinder and I'll probably be happy with it. But it still really did not answer the question, how well would the S perform as a single does grinder compared to the SD (convenience and taste the cup).

She didn't think there would be any difference in the cup between the two grinders, and the main difference was less retention In the E37sd. On one hand I like the idea of being able to use the hopper if I find a coffee I really like and want to brew it every day; - But i can't stop optimizing, so I will probably end up preferring the single dose grinder.

On the surface it feels like if I were to use the E37S as a single doser (measure a dose of beans into the hopper), it should work similar to the E37SD. But thinking upon this I realize the titanium burrs have different teeth, and the motor RPM is slower, yet the motor is more powerful with more torque. I suspect they have optimized the SD for grinding a single dose at a time (to eliminate popcorning).

So, I'm concerned using the E37S as a single dozer, because of popcorning (and who knows what else?). Or it could be that the "s" grinder is such a beautiful machine that you can't taste the difference in the cup (which is what I'm hoping for).

I get the feeling the only way to "really" know, is if someone compares both grinders.

But both you and the lady from WLL seemed to think it will work as a single doser. Although WLL said I need to have the hopper partially filled, which seems to fly in the face of using it as a single doser.

pcdawson

#4: Post by pcdawson »

I bought an E37SD as an open box from IDC and haven been using it daily for the past 3 months. It is definitely a heck of a grinder but you really need to have your workflow down to get the most out of it. I have found it extremely sensitive to puck prep - RDT and WTD done with care are is essential. I have taken to using an OCD levelling tool with no tamp and the results are pretty consistent and amazing. I have been really impressed with the lack of retention - 9/10 shots are exactly the same in as the same out. When shots do vary it is never been over a gram. That little bellows really does it's job.

Now if you had spoken to me one or two months back I would have told you that the grinder was more trouble than it was worth . I found the work flow to be finicky and time consuming. The burrs also take time to break in. Coincidentally this was around the same time that things started to change outside. That taught me that patience is a virtue and I find then the routine associated with the grinder is oddly calming :D plus the results in the cup have been noticeable mover my old M4D grinder. Finally I've had lots of fun "pivoting" between coffees which I have madly been ordering on line for consumption while working from home. Let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer for you - not a lot of info on this forum about this grinder as compared with the monoliths and niche zeros.

#5: Post by Qrumcof (original poster) »

All things being equal, the quietness was a major selling point for me (both ceado's). I was expecting a grinder in this price range should be fantastic (I hope it's only splitting hairs in cup taste quality from other grinders in this price range).

So, WDT is the water spray, right?
What is RDT?

Do you fill the pf directly, or use a little cup (wondering if you need to stir the grinds, or if using the leveling tool is sufficient).
LOL, I had to Google but I see OCD is a brand name.

Have you tried without WDT? I was hoping that was only necessary if static electricity was a problem. I know my Mazzer mini has static electricity out the WAZzoo.

I read where one SD owner complained his shots were all<over the place. Good to know while it may be finicky, it works.

Wondering is the "S" has similar characteristics.

Sounds like ease of switching coffee's is a big plus.

foam2

#6: Post by foam2 »

I single dose with the e37s and do not have any issues with static. I grind half the dose into the portafilter, stir, and then grind the rest of the dose and use a leveler and straight into the machine.

pcdawson

#7: Post by pcdawson »

Weiss distribution technique - you stir your grounds, Ross droplet technique - you spray your grounds. You definitely need to practice both to get the most out of this grinder (E37SD). I sometimes grind into the cup and sometimes into the portafilter. Grinding into the cup is definitely easier as the portafilter holder, for some strange reason, does not hold the portafilter in place. I also grind directly into a V60. I remember reading that same post about the inconsistency of the E37SD. My experience has been that with careful prep and after breaking in the burrs you get very consistent pours with no channeling and practically no grind retention. As I say I got mine for less than full price so I would have probably gone with an E37S had I not. But it is a heat grinder in my humble opinion.

#8: Post by Qrumcof (original poster) »

Interesting; a 58mm tamper fits in the top of all the ceado grinders. But I still don't know if you can taste the difference in the cup, with both grinders (E37s/E37sd) both used in single those mode..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4_sXVvm6lk