Canadian green coffee supplier

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
joalepins

#1: Post by joalepins »

Hey Canucks,

Would like to know where you buy your green coffee beans ?

Since the exchange rate with the US is not optimal right now, any good suppliers in Canada ?

Some roasters are willing to sell some beans to me but it doesn't come cheap so ...

Thank you

Jonathan

saepl

#2: Post by saepl »

Where are you located? Do you have a local roaster you could ask?

Advertisement
joalepins (original poster)

#3: Post by joalepins (original poster) replying to saepl »

I'm in Montreal, Qc.

If possible, I don't want to ''depend'' on someone to get the beans ...

I've heard greenbeanery doesn't have great quality greens.

Bunkmil

#4: Post by Bunkmil »

I usually buy mines from either Chris (http://anubiscoffeecompany.com/) or Séb (http://lecafecrema.com/).

They both sell specialty grade green beans at reasonnable price.

happycat

#5: Post by happycat »

I am in Montreal too. Very happy with beans I got from Seb at cafe crema and good service.
LMWDP #603

DavinG

#6: Post by DavinG »

I've been ordering from Green Beanery. They have been great to work with and I've never had issues with the quality of beans.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

The issue with GreenBeanery is that they don't tell you anything about the greens. There are no useful tasting notes on the site, nor any info on age. You could be getting this year's crop, or last year's crop, or the crop two years ago, or ... and what you get age-wise may well depend on what quantity of beans you buy. They're like a roaster that doesn't put the roasting date on the bag. Sometime you get fresh greens - and I have had some really nice coffees from GreenBeanery - but other times I got woody coffee. (Older greens have a woody overtone to my taste buds when lightly roasted. if one roasts well into or past second crack, then the difference that current crop coffees offer over older beans may well be muted.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
chrisbodnarphoto

#8: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

Look into Merchants Of Green based here in Toronto. I'm not a roaster and have zero experience with greens, but I do know they sell them! :)

lain2097

#9: Post by lain2097 »

To be honest I still order from SM anyway. With their 12lb flat rate shipping is pretty comparable as GreenBeanery $/kg+tax plus far better selection. On the rare occasion I forget to 'stock' myself I've done GreenBeanery. They're okay, but their decaf the last batch was terrible. Besides most of superlative the tasting notes Tom does I skim like a wine label, I know what I want and the key words. One thing that I find odd about GreenBeanery is that regardless of your order size (& order in friggin lb rather than kg like normal people!) they still vac pac individual 1lb bags which is weird to receive a box of 20 small bags in it :wink:

I'm not a blends or a fan of central am in general so local sources are very limited. Since roasting for over 8 years I simply don't trust any shop local or not.

80c/1usd is around the usual exchange anyway, that fluke of a few months ago probably won't return for another 10 years.

Pino

#10: Post by Pino »

I do not roast yet saw this recently. chaloscoffee.com in Whitby

Near to Chalos is trebilcockcoffee.ca/coffee/chalo-s-detail, which roasts and packages Chalo's beans separate.