Can the Niche Zero do French Press?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
JohnTarr

Postby JohnTarr » May 12, 2019, 8:58 am

For anyone who has a NZ, can it do a good FP grind?

Mrboots2u

Postby Mrboots2u » May 12, 2019, 11:12 am

Yes

tracer bullet

Postby tracer bullet » May 13, 2019, 2:27 pm

Agreed, the review of the grinder on this site spoke of it. Good read / watch if you are considering the grinder and haven't see the review already.

CwD

Postby CwD » May 13, 2019, 3:13 pm

I'll spare you my opinions on conicals, but French press grind should be significantly finer than drip grind to make up for the less efficient extraction, and finer being generally more even as long as it doesn't create channeling like it can in drip brews. So you shouldn't be grinding very coarse for press anyway.

JohnTarr

Postby JohnTarr » May 13, 2019, 3:30 pm

Appreciate the replies.

CwD - that's the first I've seen that FP should be finer than drip. I'd have assumed that would result in an over extracted, muddy cup?

Had also assumed flat vs conical was just a matter of preference and probably beyond my palate's ability to detect. Do you think it's a massive difference?

Nunas

Postby Nunas » May 13, 2019, 3:32 pm

My way to adjust a grinder for French press is different than most online advice I've seen. Most sites say to grind coarse but consistent. I don't care for the flavour when I do this. A few say to grind fine, but I don't care for the 'mud' that remains behind in the cup. NPC, I'm not talking about 'mouth feel' here, which is why we buy a FP in the first place. So, I start coarse and go finer until I begin to see mud, then I back off. In essence, the wet coffee grounds are each now a bit larger than the holes in the screen. Of course, this only works if you have a good grinder that does not produce a lot of fines, regardless of the coarseness setting. I don't have a NZ grinder, but from what I've read I expect it is good for FP if you adjust it this way.

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » May 13, 2019, 3:35 pm

Yes, but not as good as the Vario with brew burrs or the Fuji with ghost teeth. As an all purpose and espresso grinder, the Niche knocks it out of the park; but I wouldn't recommend it as a specialized brew grinder, where the other two do a bit better at a similar price.

If you do mostly espresso, and occasionally other brews, the Niche is it for price/performance.
Jim Schulman

CwD

Postby CwD » May 13, 2019, 4:09 pm

JohnTarr wrote:Appreciate the replies.

CwD - that's the first I've seen that FP should be finer than drip. I'd have assumed that would result in an over extracted, muddy cup?

Overextraction isn't much of a thing, mostly just channeling that coincides with grinding finer in percolation brews. It's why cupping isn't awful despite being so long.

As for mud, and Espro dispatches that while letting you use a more ideal grind size.

JohnTarr wrote:Had also assumed flat vs conical was just a matter of preference and probably beyond my palate's ability to detect. Do you think it's a massive difference?

I'm of the opinion the most even grind is always and without exception the most ideal, provided you're using well roasted coffee that's desirable to extract everything from. So I don't think anything but unimodal flats or roller mills have any place. For all brewing methods be it French press or espresso. Your opinions may vary.

And finer is a part of more even, thanks to our annoying little friend the square cube law that means disproportionately more coffee becomes inaccessible as grind size increases. So since French press doesn't have channeling problems, it can work wonderfully with a fine grind. But you do need to adjust ratio, or it'll be way too strong since making more coffee accessible is roughly identical to a larger dose in terms of strength(though with a better overall flavor profile, not sour like updosing too much).

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » May 13, 2019, 4:42 pm

With a well-aligned flat grinder, one needs to grind finer than with a poorly aligned one, or a conical. With MAX, for both press and drip, I even need to grind finer than I did with Flat/non-SSP.

CwD

Postby CwD » replying to mivanitsky » May 13, 2019, 4:48 pm

Which is most of the point of being even. The actual differences in particle size aren't nearly as big as being able to grind finer and reduce the difference between total volume and accessible surface area. There's an exponential difference (^2 vs ^3) as size changes.