Cafelat Robot config options

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
HellBen

Postby HellBen » Jan 11, 2019, 3:55 pm

Hello,

I'm finally going to buy the Cafelat robot (decided to avoid the Rancilio Silvia :-), go with the robot in a first time and when I'll be old and rich I'll go for an upper range semi-automatic machine).

As I'll pay a lot of taxes and expedition fees, can you give me advice on the two following items:

1. Should I go for the barista version ? Financially speaking, it's a 60$ difference for a manometer. After reading forums, I saw mixed advice. Many posts said that the robot is tolerant, so I guess the manometer is maybe not necessary ? But if you want a precise control for all variables, I guess you need it ? Or the way the robot works, you don't really need this accessory ?

2. Should I buy extra baskets, portafilters, ... ? I will be generally the only consumer of the espressoand will drink only one or maybe two espresso's in a row ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Ben

myso

Postby myso » Jan 11, 2019, 4:29 pm

I checked the price+shipping+vat&custom fees and the end price ends up being 425€ for normal model.
There's a German shop which sells it for 369€ and additional 10€ for shipping. They might bring barista versions in future.
https://www.brewcompany.de/Robot

I am on the rare side of coffee tasting and I really like light roasted natural (dp) Ethiopian/Kenyan coffees and gesha beans with high temperature, long pre-infusion (30s+) and slow extractions (30s+ @ 1 - 1.5g/s range). And I think robot can deliver it consistently since my machine can also do that without much problems. For my needs I would definitely go for the pressure gauge version. I am thinking of ways to attach a pressure gauge in my machine. :roll:

I think robot looks like a machine for life, and no matter how fancy other machines you get, you will want to keep it on your deck (unless you get a strietman :twisted: )

Denis

Postby Denis » Jan 11, 2019, 4:50 pm

You are pushing the machines limits with 60 seconds shots. The temperature drop can be calculated by degree/sec.

If you start at 94 C and finish at 84 C this is a big nono. This is common problem in older lever machines (dippers).

myso

Postby myso » replying to Denis » Jan 11, 2019, 5:37 pm

That's not debatable but I will try to find a workaround for it. Will start with checking the water temperature at the end of the shot inside the hot water chamber. I start with ~95°C.