Buying new espresso machine with $1000 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
zappelli

#1: Post by zappelli »

I thought I was knowledgeable about machines but I am lost with all the technical information I am reading here. I owned a Baby Gaggia for many years and sold it when making a cross country move. I love my cappuccino and an occasional espresso and prefer to make it at home. I see info about boilers, pressure and back wash but haven't got a clue which machine is for me. I want a good froth and a solid machine that is fairly easy to use. Do NOT like pods and am an Illy coffee fan for years. Will spend about $1000 for the machine, a little more if necessary. Also would like to know where I can actually see/try these babies.

frankmoss

#2: Post by frankmoss »

zappelli wrote:Do NOT like pods and am a Illy coffee fan for years. Will spend about $1000 for the machine, a little more if necessary.
Sorry, but a $1000 machine won't make any better espresso from Illy beans than a $100 machine.

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. replying to frankmoss »

I wouldn't go that far. While not special in much of any way, Illy does taste good.. or at least to say, makes a smooth, drinkable beverage from their fresh, whole bean in the can. There are problems though:
- Unless you use the beans within the first few hours of opening they stale quickly because of how long it has been since they were roasted and canned.
- The cost per pound is quite high for what you get.

Zapelli: You state that you have about $1000 for the machine.. What about a grinder?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

frankmoss

#4: Post by frankmoss »

Randy G. wrote:I wouldn't go that far. While not special in much of any way, Illy does taste good.. or at least to say, makes a smooth, drinkable beverage from their fresh, whole bean in the can.
I'll admit I was exaggerating to get my point across. If you're going to spend that much on a machine though, it might be worth looking into some freshly roasted coffee. There are a lot of recommendations of roasters on HB, and, as Randy pointed out, it's often cheaper than Illy.
Randy G. wrote: Zapelli: You state that you have about $1000 for the machine.. What about a grinder?
+1. Hopefully you weren't planning on using Illy preground...

zappelli (original poster)

#5: Post by zappelli (original poster) »

I have a Gaggia burr grinder and I do sometimes use Illy preground. Looked at the Rancilio and the Bezzera and concerned that I can't try it before I buy it. Any suggestions?

#6: Post by zappelli (original poster) »

frankmoss wrote:+1. Hopefully you weren't planning on using Illy preground...
I am open to suggestions but for now I need machine advice. I like the fact that some allow you to steam the milk and pull shots at the same time. Maybe that is not important in the big picture though?

#7: Post by zappelli (original poster) »

frankmoss wrote:+1. Hopefully you weren't planning on using Illy preground...
I know the importance of grinder and beans but still have not had a reply about machines, anyone?

actionhost

#8: Post by actionhost »

Use 600 for the machine and 400 for a good grinder (or 500/500)! As someone on the forum once said to me: you are heading towards an revolution :-)

frankmoss

#9: Post by frankmoss »

The ability to steam while brewing is important in the big picture if you make a lot of milk drinks. I own an HX, and love it. However, your budget is one of the most common and most difficult ones. The Bezzera BZ07 and Nuova Simonelli Oascar are right around $1000, which leaves no room for a grinder. So realistically, you're looking at a used machine or a SBDU like the Silvia or Lelit. Those will still steam milk well for a cappuccino, just not while you're brewing. As far as the grinder goes, everyone is going to recommend the Lelit as a minimum or the Baratza Vario ideally. A Vario plus either SBDU will keep you around your budget. There are plenty of reviews for all of the machines and grinders I just mentioned.

frankmoss

#10: Post by frankmoss »

If you search, there are several similar threads.

Budget of $1000 - which espresso machine for husband's birthday?