Buying Chinese knockoff grinders

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
luftwafflexd

Postby luftwafflexd » May 29, 2019, 1:40 pm

Hello,

I'm new here, trying to get into home made pourovers, got hario skerton pro,,, its a terrible grinder, no consistency at all (will return it through amzn). Thinking of grabbing this one from aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/XEOLEO- ... 94126.html

Has anyone ever bought chinese knockoff grinders from there? Do you have any recommendation of a site to grab cheap grinder (I'm a gamer and there used to be a trend of buying korean monitors, really good deals back then)

PS: I live in Mexico where US grinders are REALLY expensive and my income is low, so looking for a grinder under 100$

TallDan

Postby TallDan » May 29, 2019, 3:07 pm

If you only have $100 to spend on a grinder, you probably don't want to gamble it all on an unknown grinder. Beyond that, even by aliexpress standards, that grinder you linked looks like a terrible bet. The (supposed) pictures of the burrs look nothing like any burrset i've seen.

(*edit* see below, I was wrong about the burr type)

In your price range, I'd look for a hand grinder. Maybe a used baratza encore.

happycat

Postby happycat » May 29, 2019, 3:22 pm

TallDan wrote:If you only have $100 to spend on a grinder, you probably don't want to gamble it all on an unknown grinder. Beyond that, even by aliexpress standards, that grinder you linked looks like a terrible bet. The (supposed) pictures of the burrs look nothing like any burrset i've seen.

In your price range, I'd look for a hand grinder. Maybe a used baratza encore.

Those are ghost tooth burrs. There have a few threads on HB about ghost tooth grinders.

luftwafflexd wrote:Hello,

I'm new here, trying to get into home made pourovers, got hario skerton pro,,, its a terrible grinder, no consistency at all (will return it through amzn). Thinking of grabbing this one from aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/XEOLEO- ... 94126.html

Has anyone ever bought chinese knockoff grinders from there? Do you have any recommendation of a site to grab cheap grinder (I'm a gamer and there used to be a trend of buying korean monitors, really good deals back then)

PS: I live in Mexico where US grinders are REALLY expensive and my income is low, so looking for a grinder under 100$

Check out threads on HB about ghost tooth grinders. Change the subject of this post to include those terms. The high end equivalent is Fuji Royal from Japan.

Check out buy sell forum here and maybe post your budget and what you are looking for. You might save $ used
LMWDP #603

Nick Name

Postby Nick Name » May 29, 2019, 3:34 pm

The burr set is not that different from f.ex. Orphan Espresso's Apex burr set. They are ghost burrs, maybe not that familiar if you've only seen more traditional flat or conical burrs.

But even OE's Apex, which is a hand grinder, costs five times more. So I wouldn't bet my money on a Chinese horse that may already be half dead.

I know a couple of fellas who got Chinese hand grinders that on a close look resembled their Western original cousins. These fellas were pretty happy with them - until they broke after a few months use. :lol:

CwD

Postby CwD » May 29, 2019, 3:39 pm

The Chinese Anonymous grinder is supposedly pretty good. I know a couple people on IRC with em who like em.

Denis

Postby Denis » May 29, 2019, 4:08 pm

Buy the Chinese ghost burr grinder, its godly.

Zero retention, I used one 350W 60 mm burrs for over 6kg of coffee in a few months and its like new, no signs of wear or stopping and I use only green beans. The speed puts to shame all other electric grinder like Vario.

Takes 2-3 sec to grind 20g.

Here are photos made yesterday with the grinder after 6kg grinding, w/o cleaning it, what you see is whats left after 6kg of coffee. The sieving basket you see at the base is a must, you find it separately if the grinder doesnt come with one. It takes out all the particles under 250 microns.

I do better brew than anything on this planet, YES! YES! YES!

luftwafflexd

Postby luftwafflexd » May 29, 2019, 4:25 pm

I've read here about the ghost burrs, they are good for pour overs, the catch is that you literally can't grind for espresso.
Since I don't have an espresso machine I'll only use it for pour overs.

I've also seen some Russian reviews of the chinese 520N or 500N model grinders and all say its a good piece for the price.

There is 14 days buyer protection on aliexpress(kinda like ebay), so if the thing is broken or damanged they refund you.

From what I know about china (my cousin works at chinese market in Russia) they literally steal design manuals from other brands and make the same products, slightly lower quality but 10 times cheaper. For an entry level grinder as long as the burrs will do their job I'll be happy.
The engines are cheap to repair here in MX so if it breaks I'll either addapt an old blender engine or repair it, depending on the broken part.

luftwafflexd

Postby luftwafflexd » May 29, 2019, 4:27 pm

Denis wrote:Buy the Chinese ghost burr grinder, its godly.

Zero retention, I used one 350W 60 mm burrs for over 6kg of coffee in a few months and its like new, no signs of wear or stopping and I use only green beans. The speed puts to shame all other electric grinder like Vario.

Takes 2-3 sec to grind 20g.

Here are photos made yesterday with the grinder after 6kg grinding, w/o cleaning it, what you see is whats left after 6kg of coffee. The sieving basket you see at the base is a must, you find it separately if the grinder doesnt come with one. It takes out all the particles under 250 microns.

I do better brew than anything on this planet, YES! YES! YES!

<image>
<image>
<image>

Denis, what model is that? on the bottom it says, 500N or 520N I'm trying to decide which one, (one is 5 steps ajust, the other 10)

Denis

Postby Denis » May 29, 2019, 4:33 pm

Xeoleo 60mm 350 W ghost burr grinder. I think its 150$ on promotion or 180 $ normal price.

luftwafflexd

Postby luftwafflexd » May 29, 2019, 4:36 pm

Denis wrote:Xeoleo 60mm 350 W ghost burr grinder. I think its 150$ on promotion or 180 $ normal price.

Thank you, there is 80mm 200W for 150 on aliexpress right now, ships in 10-14 days DHL, I think I'll grab it, also 10 steps adjustment
The other model is 60mm 150W for 100, but with only 5 adjustments.
I think its worth it 50$ for 10 adjustment settings

EDIT: I'll make a post here when it arrives, hope its as good as you're saying, going slightly over budget :mrgreen: