Buying Chinese knockoff grinders - Page 3

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
false1001

#21: Post by false1001 » Jun 11, 2019, 5:33 pm

I've heard a lot of good things about knockoff Chinese grinders in general, but bad things about XEOLEO specifically, so it's interesting to hear two good reports. They seem to be Fuji Royal knockoffs... i'm curious as to how well they retain grind size and keep retention down over time. I loved my Jericho grinder, but it had terrible retention and the spring would give over time and eventually snap within months of replacing it.

luftwafflexd

#22: Post by luftwafflexd » Jun 12, 2019, 7:04 pm

They provide you with 1 spare spring, fuse, screw and 1 piece IDK what is it for, so far everything's good.

@JohnStuartP I bought if from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xeoleo- ... 4c4dmXvLGm

For the bad reviews on Xeoleo, the 60mm flat nonghost burr is metal cast and looks like garbage, prolly most hate is from there.
The good thing about them is that they actually post REAL pictures of their burrs (the official vendor) so you can know what you're getting into, the allignment and stuff idk, it'll be a while till I can get money for espresso journey and start buying a grinder for it

tag1260

#23: Post by tag1260 » Jun 12, 2019, 9:02 pm

How about this the grinder? I've heard it's not all that bad but I have no experience with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-Electric- ... WEg4kgtteA

redbone

#24: Post by redbone » Jun 15, 2019, 12:28 pm

Recently ordered the Xeoleo 200watt, 80mm ghost burr grinder with 10 adjustments for P.O. Shipping details indicate leaving DHL carrier from Taiwan. Not sure if that means grinder made in Taiwan or reseller location. Bonus if the former.
From Taiwan to DHL U.S. hub in Cincinnati before final destination in Canada.
Notice that actual shipping dates are not posted, only showing today's date in column.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Kran

#25: Post by Kran » Jun 18, 2019, 7:40 pm

tag1260 wrote:How about this the grinder? I've heard it's not all that bad but I have no experience with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-Electric- ... WEg4kgtteA
Sometimes these lower end knock offs come with "standard" burrs and not the ghost burrs. See image below. The burr with the 2 holes came out of a grinder identical to your link.

slickmamba

#26: Post by slickmamba » Jun 19, 2019, 3:08 pm

This is intriguing, if it can't do espresso well, will it outperform the virtuoso for drip?

redbone

#27: Post by redbone » Jun 19, 2019, 3:26 pm

There are many varying consumer coffee grinders on sites like Aliexpress ranging under $100 to 1K. Depending on the grinder the burr size and burr type varies. The grinder page I ordered from was specific in mentioning "ghost tooth" or "ghost burr" even showing a picture with calipers of the burr size. The ghost tooth type burr grinder are definitely not for espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

redbone

#28: Post by redbone » Jun 25, 2019, 8:49 am

Received grinder documentation import duty and tax invoice from DHL and should receive grinder today. Nothing more frustrating than dealing with the creative accounting terms of the courier industry. Money grab listed as processing fee and transaction fee. Imagine buying something retail at a listed price and receiving a further two charges over and above before you can have the item in hand. *Funds in Canadian Dollars*
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

luftwafflexd

#29: Post by luftwafflexd » Jun 25, 2019, 11:59 am

I posted when I received the grinder that I paid about a 1/3 of the price in customs handling and taxes (45-48 USD) for Mexico.
I still feel its worth it, does a great job with the consistency and range for drips.

Also I need to buy some japanese V60 filters, since mine are US made and they are way thicker vs japanese (a friend has jap filters) you should check if you have US or JAP filters, with US I can't go under 2:30 extraction even if I grind very course, so if I grind medium fine it clogs the v60 because filter is to thick, doesn't happen to jap version.

redbone

#30: Post by redbone » Jun 25, 2019, 6:44 pm

Grinder arrived. Goal to improve coarser grin brew methods, increase grind speed and lower retention.
ImageImage
Burrs feel surprisingly sharp.
New Xeoleo ghost burr grind results on left side.

Positives: Well packaged in foam cutouts. Measured burrs near 76mm. There are 20 stops total. Very quite motor. Fast grinding. Cast main body with good weight and well matched heavy plastic base and stand. Metal cup, metal sieve and extra spring included. Momentary and on switch.

Negative: Thin power cord. Awkward swinging bean stopper. Sticker states 110v 50hz (Japan?) Tight hopper lid. Black number grind settings hard to see against black background.

Tested some grinds vs Capresso was able to match grind size with less fines and much faster.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549