Buying Advice: Which website to buy from?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JohnC1980

#1: Post by JohnC1980 »

I'm a relative newbie but I want to buy something that 's going to last me awhile. I debated on the new LM Linea Micra but I don't really want to wait all that long and the price is still pretty steep. Given my low cabinet height I've decided on the La Spaziale Lucca A53 since it has a front reservoir (or also considering the La Spaziale Dream T for the same reason). After discounts they are both about the same price but I'm having a hard time choosing which website to buy from.

Anyone have any particularly strong feelings about Clive Coffee vs Comiso Coffee? Comiso is around $500 cheaper, Clive offers a slightly longer warranty and they'll dial in the grinder and tamper I'm buying for free. About half the difference is due to the state sales tax which Comiso doesn't charge. Price is very important but I feel like Clive might have better service in the long run based on some reviews. I've reached out to both on the chats about better pricing and was really surprised at how little Clive was willing to come down since I was also bundling a grinder and some accessories. They basically offered $100 off a scale if I bought one and nothing else above their free tamper promo which I didn't need. I should also note I was adding the wood sides which are a $500 upcharge (and can't cost anywhere near that to make).

Recommendations? Go for price? Am I wrong about potentially better service with Clive Coffee? I couldn't find any real comparisons on the site. Thanks for the info, I've spent countless hours scolling through all the posts in my search for the right machine.

Ben Z.

#2: Post by Ben Z. »

You still need to pay the sales tax either way, right?

CSME9

#3: Post by CSME9 »

I have not purchased from Cosimo, dealt with Clive Coffee few years ago, I ended up returning the machine due to numerous DOA issues, they resolved my issues promptly. Chris Coffee in NY sells the Dream T, your profile says your in MA which might be closer to Chris Coffee if you needed to return the products for service etc. They are known for good service, on several occasions the owner communicated with me directly after hours. But hard to pass up a $500 savings if the after the sale support is good.

jgood

#4: Post by jgood »

I haven't heard of Cosimo but Clive is respected seller. I bought my machine from Chris Coffee and found their techs very helpful on the phone. In fact the vibe pump on my machine is showing signs of age (I've had the machine 6 years) and I expect I'll be on the phone with them soon if I run into any issues installing the replacement (which I bought from them). I would spend the additional $ to make sure you have good support, and the comfort that the machine will be well packed, and if it arrives damaged, the folks will sort it out or replace. And read up on water (on this site) if your not familiar with water composition, TDS etc. If you don't have one a TDS meter is nice to confirm things -- I think I got a $15 one at Clive.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

I worked with Chris' Coffee on machines, grinders, and parts and service for over a decade, across the country. They were top-notch in all my dealings. Their service techs saved me hundreds of dollars over the years by accurately diagnosing that I didn't need to order expensive parts. If they carry a machine that I'm looking for, they would be my first choice.

sluflyer06

#6: Post by sluflyer06 »

Clive is reputable. But I'm another Chris Coffee fan, I've bought 1 quickmill and 2 la marzoccos from them and their support is nothing short of amazing, they are highly responsive and will make it right.

I had some damage to my gs3 I bought from them and they put me in touch with la marzocco who sent a tech to the house and fixed the issue as well as helping me with a # of niggles related to glass side panels I got for it related to mounting.

JohnC1980 (original poster)

#7: Post by JohnC1980 (original poster) »

Thanks. I left Chris Coffee a message on the chat and I'll hopefully speak with them in the morning.

BaristaBoy E61

#8: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

+10 for Chris' Coffee - Can't imagine better support, knowledge or followup & follow through!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

chipman

#9: Post by chipman »

Another vote for Chris Coffee. As others stated, they are top notch for sales and especially post purchase service.

RistrettoCapp

#10: Post by RistrettoCapp »

I haven't heard of Comiso, and haven't dealt with Clive though they are well regarded for great service, but I've ordered parts from Chris's coffee and even had the owner call me back and provide some solid insight into coffee catering strategies.
Between the two, I'd go with Clive or check out Chris's for sure.