Buying advice for a good but cheap espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
sisyfos

#1: Post by sisyfos »

Hi everyone,

I need some advice for buying an espresso machine. What is important for a good espresso machine? (with portafilter and steam wand)

Unfortunately I have a really low budget, because I recently purchased niche zero grinder, so I can't afford more than 100-150€.

Also an opinion to these models?:
1. DeLonghi EC 680 Dedica
2. Gastroback 42709
3. FIMEI Kaffeemachine Espresso

Thank you

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

Don't waste your money on those. Best bet with that budget is either save a little bit more and enjoy drip until then or shop the used market for something like a Pavoni or any other machines.
★ Helpful

ojt

#3: Post by ojt replying to Intrepid510 »

Agreed as above! At least you went grinder first :)

I am biased but, yeah a used Pavoni or any other simple / vintage lever might be a good solution even if some more money will be needed. If I were you I would read as much as I can on actually good machines for example on this forum and choose my target machine, and then save up.
Osku

domi

#4: Post by domi »

ojt wrote:a used Pavoni or any other simple / vintage lever might be a good solution
I second that recommendation and since you're based in Europe (and thus have access to 220-240V), I suggest you check out Francesco's site. No affiliation with him, just a happy customer.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

You might be fine with machines such as those you cite, although as others have opined, they are not considered to be very good. Please tell us about your coffee needs. How many cups a day? All espresso or also pour-over. For espresso, will you be doing straight shots or milk drinks such as latte and cappuccino? Will you be using the machine for "volume", such as having a lot of company over for parties?

Mountain

#6: Post by Mountain »

Intrepid510 wrote:Don't waste your money on those. Best bet with that budget is either save a little bit more and enjoy drip until then or shop the used market for something like a Pavoni or any other machines.
I basically agree with this and would add that as a stop-gap until you can find a used machine as suggested or save up for something else, is get an Aeropress. I can make a decent cap better than a chain type coffee shop with an Aeropress, frothing wand, and microwave to heat the milk.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mgwolf »

Aeropress is a good option, also pour-over until you can afford a machine. Looking at Francesco's site, there are a number of nice machines in the 3-400 Euro range. I would say for that price, a lever machine will give you top-quality espresso compared to a cheap pump machine like you mentioned. If you ended up with a lever that doesn't steam, you can get a stove-top steamer pretty cheap and they (from what I read) work fairly well.

Bluenoser

#8: Post by Bluenoser »

I started on the Delonghi 685.. I had little luck.. I'd say, save your money for something better..

If you absolutely need steam, then the Delonghi 685 can do that okay.. and the espresso is so.. so.. but pretty limiting.

If you just need espresso, I'd look at one of the manuals, like an espressoForge or Robot..

But if you want the best bang/buck in pump machines you should seriously consider the Breville Double-Boiler (920 model).. this would do you five years plus.. It is highly rated for quality of espresso. You might find an open box or demo unit for well under $1000. You want to be careful of used because if user wasn't careful on quality of water, there might be scale inside..

sisyfos (original poster)

#9: Post by sisyfos (original poster) »

Nunas wrote:You might be fine with machines such as those you cite, although as others have opined, they are not considered to be very good. Please tell us about your coffee needs. How many cups a day? All espresso or also pour-over. For espresso, will you be doing straight shots or milk drinks such as latte and cappuccino? Will you be using the machine for "volume", such as having a lot of company over for parties?
I drink 2-3 a day(working days) or 4-5 on weekends.
I prefer cappuccino and a single or double shots of espresso. Usually I drink alone or sometimes with my wife.

For these needs what would be some good ideas of espresso machines?

Is there also a quality difference between a simple espresso machine and one with a steam for milk drinks?

Thanks

sisyfos (original poster)

#10: Post by sisyfos (original poster) »

Bluenoser wrote:

But if you want the best bang/buck in pump machines you should seriously consider the Breville Double-Boiler (920 model).. this would do you five years plus.. It is highly rated for quality of espresso. You might find an open box or demo unit for well under $1000. You want to be careful of used because if user wasn't careful on quality of water, there might be scale inside..
Do you mean this one:

https://www.amazon.de/Sage-Appliances-S ... 07B2WJHBH/