"But I don't want to become a barista" - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
LObin

#31: Post by LObin »

Sactogeoff wrote: I plan to buy a scale and measure. Following along with the best practices I've learned watching a painful amount of YouTube vids. Temp monitoring and flow control are things I'm not very interested in. I view them as extra complications reserved for purists. I do like the shot control on the Lucca A53. But it really only removes monitoring of that one thing. Shot timing. Thanks for your feedback!
I believe this needs to be reposted...

Different people, different opinions. I get it. But I find people tend to recommend their own machines, sometimes at the expense of the OP's needs.

No temp monitoring -> No HX. That's it.
That leaves Double boiler machines, potentially the Lelit MaraX and of course, commercial levers.

I strongly suggest getting a commercial lever machine.

No. Wait. That's what I own...
:mrgreen:

Cheers!
LMWDP #592
★ Helpful

Sactogeoff

#32: Post by Sactogeoff »

Update - After going round and round on this. As many before me have done. I threw in the towel this morning and relented to the Mrs desire for "easy" and ordered a Breville Oracle. The biggest influencer came from a couple of youtube videos. Mostly this one:

Go to the 26 second mark - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRBOxyu2b2Q

I would personally love to have a classic machine and learn to make excellent espresso drinks. But with the realities of life with kids and other time consuming hobbies and a super busy job. It's not in the cards this round.

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone here. Thank you so much!

wachuko

#33: Post by wachuko »

Congratulations!

Now do yourself a favor and order some amazing freshly roasted beans to start using that puppy.

Many roasters listed/referenced in this forum that can help with that.
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

millmountain
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by millmountain »

Sounds like you have your priorities in order.

(Gently weeps for you.)

Just kidding, hope it will be a good investment. I have a friend who also has kids and a super busy job life. A year or so back, he got a fancy programmable machine with a touch-screen interface. It looked a lot like this machine, although I don't recall it having a portafilter. He was super happy with it. I'm strongly curious whether it was the same machine, and how he's getting on with it now. I'll have to ask; if it's the same, I'll report back here.

cccpu

#35: Post by cccpu »

Sactogeoff wrote:Update - After going round and round on this. As many before me have done. I threw in the towel this morning and relented to the Mrs desire for "easy" and ordered a Breville Oracle. The biggest influencer came from a couple of youtube videos. Mostly this one:

Go to the 26 second mark - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRBOxyu2b2Q

I would personally love to have a classic machine and learn to make excellent espresso drinks. But with the realities of life with kids and other time consuming hobbies and a super busy job. It's not in the cards this round.

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone here. Thank you so much!
You might just find that you have a much better machine than you initially thought :wink:

You can always upgrade to a separate better grinder later on as well- and then start reading Peter's posts about "Slayer Shots" down the road with your current setup here...

Many people keep their Breville Dual Boilers and just replace their grinders as they fall deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole..

Best of luck!
LMWDP #583

luvmy40

#36: Post by luvmy40 » replying to cccpu »

It doesn't look like the Oracle Touch will be nearly as easily modified or manipulated as the BDB. The only manual control on the Touch is the grinder's burr adjustment.

cccpu

#37: Post by cccpu » replying to luvmy40 »

Would you mind posting sources for that?
I might be mistaken, but others seem to think otherwise.
LMWDP #583

luvmy40

#38: Post by luvmy40 » replying to cccpu »

Just an observation from the pictures. I may be way off base.

cccpu

#39: Post by cccpu » replying to luvmy40 »

I believe you might be, there are plenty of "manual override" modes on the machine described in the manuals which you can read and search online- all of the modifications described in the "Slayer shots" forum describe simple, non-destructive, reversible tube re-routings that take about 10 minutes to complete on the BDB... it's more a question of the Oracle's interior space layout that would determine its modifiability.

Again, even the default settings and preinfusion on the BDB+ machines are going to carry your experience far beyond what many other machines can easily offer...
LMWDP #583

lniccolini

#40: Post by lniccolini »

Sactogeoff wrote:Agreed. However Oracle and the Breville's in general don't appear to be all it's cracked up to be. Considering the failure rate noted on so many reviews. I've checked it off my list. I can't bring myself to buy a $3k electromechanical device with a potentially short shelf life. I do subscribe to the "cry once" mantra. But spend the money right the first time. Or in our case, the 5th time...
I'm considering a Linea Mini + LM Swift Mini Grinder (home use, no fuss) and on the back of my mind I thought that I could save myself a few bobs by purchasing The Oracle Touch, though since I've been reading people complaining of failures/etc I was always a little skeptical, moreover I am not entirely sure about it's coffee making capabilities. I guess money spent on La Marzocco will eventually be money well spent....I think your post is a way in that direction....