Budget under $1000, drink mostly straight espressos - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Stavey

#11: Post by Stavey »

Even though it's a little more .
Breville Dual Boiler

Loic_G (original poster)

#12: Post by Loic_G (original poster) »

jgood wrote:Re: Carola -- You don't have any need for a thermometer as it's PID controlled, which keeps the temp wherever you set it to. In terms of the flow control, no rush to add that, especially if you like darker roasts. I tried adding flow control and removed it and sold it to another HBer. For me it added nothing but a complication - but some folks swear by them. In any case I would avoid it at the start - there's enough to master. But it's nice to have the option to add one if later you decide to try it out.
Thanks for the clarification. How long does it take for the Carola to warm up?

jgood

#13: Post by jgood »

I let my Carola heat up for 40 - 45 minutes -- once warmed up I do quick flush with the empty portafilter in place -- not sure if it's useful or just habit. Basically the Carola is like most E61 machines in terms of warm up. I leave it on until the last coffee of the day is made. Perhaps others will weigh in on warm up times.

Stavey

#14: Post by Stavey »

Simple
DE1 and a Niche
No machine can do what the Decent does. At least not at this price point. As far as a grinder the Niche is not very expensive, built like a tank, truly is zero retention,and produces amazing shots of light roast coffee. I know because this is my setup.
I forgot to mention the Decent also saves a lot of time and energy due to its incredibly fast heat up time .

If I wanted the best cup possible for a lesser price point . I'd look at the BDB.

I too only drink my espresso strait.

Loic_G (original poster)

#15: Post by Loic_G (original poster) replying to Stavey »

Certainly an interesting unit, but in a different price range. If you're on the market for such a machine, I doubt you'll be looking at a Niche grinder...

Jesse.F

#16: Post by Jesse.F »

I used my laser thermometer this morning, 30 min after start up my Carola group head was 85-100F depending where I was pointing the thermometer. It was still that temp at 45 min after start up, and after my first shot. Sorry I didn't get up sooner to take Temps every five min from start up (I have mine set to torn on a half hour before the kids get me up)

Based on this very scientific test, I'd say the carola fully hearts up in under 30 min.

Jeff
Team HB

#17: Post by Jeff »

In my experience with QuickMill E61 groups, 30-40 minutes is needed to get stable. A lot will depend on room temperature and drafts.

Loic_G (original poster)

#18: Post by Loic_G (original poster) »

That's helpful info, and to some extend, I come to realize that warm-up time may be irrelevant if you simply but the unit on a timer... decision, decision, decision...

BruceWayne

#19: Post by BruceWayne »

+1 on a smart switch/timer. My machine does its warm up before I get up.

Jesse.F

#20: Post by Jesse.F »

Loic_G wrote:That's helpful info, and to some extend, I come to realize that warm-up time may be irrelevant if you simply but the unit on a timer... decision, decision, decision...

For less than $20 I got a Bluetooth plug at lowes, and am able to set different on/off times for each day if I want. By the time I'm awake, my machine is ready to go.

Honestly, for the cost of these machines, I'm surprised more of them don't have these features built it. My old $50 drip coffee maker had a built in clock and auto start.