Budget of $2200-$2500 for Grinder and Espresso Machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
michaels

#1: Post by michaels »

Hi All,

First post, although I've been a lurker for a while now (and have read practically everything by the 'net' experts and pro's). It's been VERY enlightening and quite valuable. So, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on my first *real* machine setup and I'd really like to do this just once or worst case, once with an upgrade years in the future (4-5). Therefore, I'm budgeting a chunk that will get me past the regrets envelope hopefully. As an espresso drinker for years (frequent americano, but rare cappa, mocha, or latte.)

I need a machine that will serve my wife and I well with 6-12 shots daily. So, some milk work and when necessary it must be able to do good microfoam. (I worked a cart many years ago with a 2 group Marzocco and picked up some technique, just no art :))

Now, here's the compromise I hinted at - while I'm an engineer and a technologist by nature (A/V tinkerer, professional woodworker, etc) my wife is not. She MUST be able to produce quality results from this machine consistently without babysitting. With this in mind, an E61 Lever is probably out as temperature surfing just won't work for her, after a very good conversation with a fella over at Chris Coffee - he suggested a Vivaldi II (still debating whether to plumb or not, I can, but would lose the placement flexibility - so either the regular or mini).

I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy as anyone who knows my tools recognizes. Therefore, I won't be offended if you say, save your $$ and wait until you have $3k for the perfect machine or what have you.

I'll be picking up a Baratza Vario as there will continue to be French press and drip enjoyed in the house and I simply can't give up the counter space for 2 grinders, a drip, and an espresso machine - so the existing (poor) Burr grinder has to go.

Am I missing a machine that is just 'perfect'? Should I budget more, or can I get by for less?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Beezer

#2: Post by Beezer »

I don't think you can go wrong with the Vivaldi/Vario combo. The Vivaldi should be very user friendly for your wife, since it has automatic dosing as well as digital boiler temp controls. Steaming is supposed to be very fast and easy too. I think you've made the right choice.
Lock and load!

DanSF

#3: Post by DanSF »

I faced this same decision (as an upgrade from an E61 hx machine + Rocky grinder) and a few weeks ago went with the vivaldi II and a mazzer mini. So far, no regrets except in hindsight I should have upgraded the grinder long ago. This combo fulfills my desire for old school grinding and high tech brewing. I've really enjoyed playing with brew temperature using different blends from local roasters; Ritual and Four Barrel are nearby, and unbelievably Blue Bottle opened a kiosk in my local laundromat a couple weeks back (looking forward to picking up some Retrofit tomorrow, perhaps in exchange for some of my home roast -- gotta love SF). I also ordered from Chris C and the experience was fine except for the week+ watching the shipment poke its way to SF via UPS ground from Albany.

hperry

#4: Post by hperry »

michaels wrote:Hi All,

Am I missing a machine that is just 'perfect'? Should I budget more, or can I get by for less?

Thanks in advance!

Michael
I think you are in a very nice sweet spot and have chosen a machine and grinder that are widely endorsed and meet your specs in every parameter. I have not owned the Vivaldi, but have owned two dual boiler machines and am impressed with the positive reviews the Vivaldi gets. I do own the Vario, which I think is a solid value in an excellent grinder. I would "pull the trigger" on this combination.
Hal Perry

dialydose

#5: Post by dialydose »

I currently own and use the Vivaldi II (plumbed) and the Vario (among others). As others have stated, awesome combination and I have zero regrets. I think it is one of the most user friendly combos you can buy. A friend of mine has a GS3/K30 combo which is also very user friendly and produces great coffee, but costs about $6,000 more. My wife uses it every morning and loves it as well. I was in a similar situation as you with respect to the temp surfing...the HX's were out because of it (although I think I would have been more than happy with a nice HX). She also uses the Vario every morning and the timer and doserless function make it a breeze for her as well.

I will just add a couple things. One, Chris Coffee is perhaps my favorite company to deal with in terms of customer service...they are top notch in every aspect. Second, if you have a good spot that you can plumb in, I say do it. It is very convenient and having the softener and filter in line is great. Finally, by the time you get the grinder, machine and accessories, you may be a little over budget. However, I don't think you can find a marked improvement over the Vivaldi II without spending several thousand more...so don't worry about it. Enjoy.

tekomino

#6: Post by tekomino »

I can only echo comments of others. Vivaldi and Vario is great choice. I also suggest if at all possible plumb-in. It is extremely convenient and unless you tried it both ways you have not real feeling how much plumbing adds to usability. And using flexible tubing you can really plumb in almost anywhere.

When you get into this price range I think it comes down to usability so going with double boiler Vivaldi and Vario is great choice from usability side.

Let us know what you choose. And since you are just starting I recommend reading something I wish I read when I just started: Digital espresso or a way to consistency

GrainBrewer

#7: Post by GrainBrewer »

I am in the same spot, and was leaning towards the Vivaldi II with a Vario. It sounds like a solid, forgiving machine. My wife drinks lattes (and won't want to tinker with pulling shots too much) and I drink capps and espressos. But then I heard that the Vibiemme Domobar Super was being redesigned with a new double boiler (larger steam boiler and smaller coffee boiler for improved temp stability), and it will have a rotary pump with the option of plumbing or using the water reservoir, which is really nice. The new VBM will be out in a month or two. Given the reviews of the current VBM Domobar Super, and with (most likely) a similar or slightly lower price, can anyone say if the VBM will give the Vivaldi II serious competition?

Beezer

#8: Post by Beezer »

I don't think it's possible to compare a machine that hasn't been released yet (in its substantially redesigned form) with one that's been on the market for several years. We just don't know enough about the newly designed Vibiemme. I suspect it will be an excellent machine, but at this point nobody knows whether the paper specs will translate into a reliable and solid performing machine.

If it were up to me, I'd stick with the known quantity. The Vivaldi has been on the market for at least five years now and has a very large user base, and it's proven to be very reliable and easy to use. In fact, Chris recently increased the warranty on Vivaldi machines because of their great track record for reliability. There's also the dedicated Vivaldi forum to help users get the most out of their machines, not to mention Chris' excellent customer service. So if it were up to me, I'd go with the Vivaldi just because it's an established performer.
Lock and load!

michaels (original poster)

#9: Post by michaels (original poster) »

Thank you all for the feedback. Sounds like there aren't any better choices available today (that are also highly reliable) for my criteria of easy and repeatable.

I'll post pics of some handmade tampers that I've turned as well (benefit of having a professional shop is that I can customize tampers and handles on equipment :)).

Thanks!
Michael

michaels (original poster)

#10: Post by michaels (original poster) »

Well, after an attempt to procure a used vivaldi... (long story, mediocre ending... 6 weeks lost, no $ out though) I've ordered an S1V2 rotary from Chris. I picked up the B Vario last month (LOVE it) and in 6 days will have the V2 on the counter (woot).

Thanks for the guidance folks!

Michael