Budget of $2000 for espresso machine, too many choices

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
goalerjones

#1: Post by goalerjones »

Background: I've been working my way up the ladder from a Krups steam boiler, Cuisinart E300, now for the last 2 years a Lelit PL041TQE. I've also advanced my grinders, Braun burr grinder, Lelit PL53, now the Baratza Vario.

I've decided to make the commitment to a higher end machine. I have good "work habits". Keep the machine and the grinder clean, do regular descaling and backflushes. I'm even partnering with a friend doing our own home roasting now.

Brands I'm looking at so far (by no means a comprehensive list):
ECM
LELIT
ROCKET

Important traits:
Double boiler
Good workmanship/reputation
Ability to control steam flow (No toggle switches)
Easy maintenance (easy access without burns)
Attractive design not "boxy" (a little flash on the counter)
Reservoir tank ability (not ready to plumb just yet)
Ability to leave machine on 8hrs continually (I work on call nights and leave the machine on all night)

The machines change seemingly hourly to my eyes and it's hard to keep up so thanks in advance for any advice, and of course for your time.

thepilgrimsdream

#2: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

Grinder! Grinder! Grinder!

Haha sorry.

I don't know too much about machines in that price range, but I'd probably move the vario to drip duty or sell it to upgrade your grinder. Other users may know of more practical single dose grinders, but I love my K30.

Advertisement
goalerjones (original poster)

#3: Post by goalerjones (original poster) »

Amazingly unhelpful

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#4: Post by mivanitsky »

Consider a Londinium R. It will outperform any e61 pump machine in the cup, works brilliantly either with reservoir or plumbed, and is not terribly expensive. It is attractive, and can be left on 24/7 if you like.

Unlike an e61 box, it may also prevent you from developing the desire to buy a Slayer/Speedster/GS3 later as an upgrade.

Then you can start saving for the necessary grinder upgrade.

goalerjones (original poster)

#5: Post by goalerjones (original poster) »

okay, one request for machine advice, 2 answers for better grinder. okay, let's have it, what's so bad about the Baratza Vario?

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner replying to goalerjones »

Nothing, really.
Scott
LMWDP #248

takeshi

#7: Post by takeshi »

Nothing "so bad" about it but it's on the entry side of the spectrum for espresso grinders and the machines you're considering are better served with a better grinder. No one seems to want to hear that they should place the grinder first but it has a significant impact. If you still had a Krups or Cuisinart with a Vario we'd certainly suggest upgrading the machine.

Advertisement
thepilgrimsdream

#8: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

One of the best shots I've had was on a Silvia with a K30.

I would recommend splitting your budget between a grinder and machine.

The Vario is okay, but you'll definitely have more in the cup if you designate more of your budget towards a grinder with better particle distribution than dumping your budget all into a machine.

sweaner

#9: Post by sweaner »

I feel that "grinder creep" has gotten a bit out of hand. There are few here that would be able to tell the difference between a shot from a Vario and a Robur. So, get your new machine, then down the road upgrade the grinder if desired.

I suggest talking to the folks at Chris Coffee.
Scott
LMWDP #248

r7

#10: Post by r7 »

goalerjones wrote:Attractive design not "boxy" (a little flash on the counter)
Reservoir tank ability (not ready to plumb just yet)
Ability to leave machine on 8hrs continually (I work on call nights and leave the machine on all night)
Most double boilers are over your budget. I think one of the best values for the money is the QM Vetrano 2B evo.

Given your criteria and budget for $2k or less you might consider (the not boxy) La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II or the Lucca A53 Mini Clive variant.