Budget below $3000 for double boiler espresso machine: What you got?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
boomer28

#1: Post by boomer28 »

Looking to finally upgrade and am focused on following needs:

1) Double Boiler machine
2) Must have very good to excellent steaming power
3) Tank as option, will not be plumbing

I drink about 75% milk drinks but very much enjoy straight shots. Feel that could shift with a better setup. Right now focused on Pro 700, Vetrano 2B, Izzo IV and maybe a stretch to a Synchronika. In a dream world I'd find a used LMLM for around $3.5k but those are tough to find. I did like the R58 but used one a few times and felt the steaming power to be subpar and a real bummer for an overall great machine. Thanks in advance.

guydebord

#2: Post by guydebord »

Machine wise you can do better than Linea Mini for $3K. I am in the exact same lookout as you, thanks for opening the thread!

I was about to place my money on a Decent DB1-pro but TBH, I am not convinced yet of that machine in many fronts and after much thinking I am leaning more towards a more traditionally built machine that can control/monitor group-head temperature. In this category, the Bezzera Duo DE is my favorite so far, but Im still researching. Looking forward to read others recommendations.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

boomer28 (original poster)

#3: Post by boomer28 (original poster) replying to guydebord »

Yea I hear you. the Decent looks fun but I'm too old to jump on brand new tech like this out the gate. That and I've played with profiling before and it's honestly a thing that doesn't make much of a difference to me at this point. What about the Bezzera do you like so much? The boilers seem a lot smaller than some of the ones I'm considering at .45/1.05...

Reefguy

#4: Post by Reefguy »

The Bezera Duo is one sexy machine, my first on the list is the profitec 700, I keep looking at other machines, even profitec 600,
But somehow end up back at the 700.....but that Bezzera.

guydebord

#5: Post by guydebord »

boomer28 wrote:Yea I hear you. the Decent looks fun but I'm too old to jump on brand new tech like this out the gate. That and I've played with profiling before and it's honestly a thing that doesn't make much of a difference to me at this point. What about the Bezzera do you like so much? The boilers seem a lot smaller than some of the ones I'm considering at .45/1.05...
I really like the third PID implementation on the grouphead, which in theory gives more precise control than in the E61 grouphead, also the user interface and programability is something that I am attracted to. I forgot to mention that the other machine I was looking into is the Lelit Bianca, Im also not into the pressure profiling tweaking thing but love everything about the Bianca except that external tank and since Im not plumbing it I think it will look super weird. Nevertheless Im not ruling it out.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Kryptonicspb

#6: Post by Kryptonicspb »

All the machines you listed are great machines. All will produce excellent espresso. Since you mentioned your preference is milk-

I would focus on
-The steam boiler size/design
-How high you can raise the pressure
-The size of the heating element
-How the machine/PID powers the heating elements

I owned a v2b and loved the espresso but wasn't impressed with the steam using 15amp outlets.

Brother_Bluto

#7: Post by Brother_Bluto »

Have the Synchronika and love it. The Profi Pro 700 is same machine, just knobs instead of levers with a tad different aesthetics on top. Build quality is top notch and behind the panels is very organized and straight forward. Very good steam power with the newer PID - 2.25bar. Note however that it is a bit of a wet steam (due to the no-burn wand) compared to the likes of an LML. Weekday mornings are a 16oz latte for better half, and a 16oz americano for me. Weekends are 4-6 drinks a day. Recovery is great - doesn't slow me down. It produces micro foam suitable for latte art, but my lack of art skills traverse all mediums.

spressomon

#8: Post by spressomon »

From what I've read the Lelit Bianca would be on my short list.
No Espresso = Depresso

RyanP

#9: Post by RyanP replying to spressomon »

Agreed. I think it would be the only machine on my list.

boomer28 (original poster)

#10: Post by boomer28 (original poster) »

spressomon wrote:From what I've read the Lelit Bianca would be on my short list.
Only reason I'm considering is it's in the $ range and seems like the profiling is basically a "free option" to have should I decide to go that route. I'm 100% I could be happy with an normal e61 setup but never say never I guess and I do see profiling as the next wave for prosumer models by all indications. The .8/1.5 boilers and a 1400 watt steam power is attractive from a pure specs perspective...