Browsing for new lever espresso machine, budget under $2000

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
subq

#1: Post by subq »

looking for opinions on a new lever machine...

I currently have a Bezzera Strega that I'm looking to replace. Initially, I was thinking a Londinium and then I saw the Profitec Pro 800. However, I think that one is outside of my budget as I'm looking for something under $2000 (US) and the closer to $1000 the better. I'm definitely not interested in restoring anything as working on the Strega is a huge pain (for me) already. Apparently, one of the electrical components is going bad in my Strega and I'm not looking forward to the cramped working space. The Profitec looked like it might be easier to work on but again, I think that is outside my budget. I believe I want to go with another spring lever as well. I think with those requirements it may be narrowed down to Elektra Microcasa a Leva or Ponte Vecchio Lusso but I'm still reading, looking at prices, etc etc...
LMWDP #357

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#2: Post by mivanitsky »

Split the difference?

Strietman CT1 or ES3

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by samuellaw178 »

subq wrote:looking for opinions on a new lever machine...

I currently have a Bezzera Strega that I'm looking to replace. Initially, I was thinking a Londinium and then I saw the Profitec Pro 800. However, I think that one is outside of my budget as I'm looking for something under $2000 (US) and the closer to $1000 the better. I'm definitely not interested in restoring anything as working on the Strega is a huge pain (for me) already. Apparently, one of the electrical components is going bad in my Strega and I'm not looking forward to the cramped working space. The Profitec looked like it might be easier to work on but again, I think that is outside my budget. I believe I want to go with another spring lever as well. I think with those requirements it may be narrowed down to Elektra Microcasa a Leva or Ponte Vecchio Lusso but I'm still reading, looking at prices, etc etc...
Even though the Elektra and Lusso are spring-levers, you're really looking at two extremely different machine categories. Strega, Londinium and Profitec are in the prosumer/commercial lever category, while the Elektra & Lusso are more a 'home' machine. It's a shame you're having problem with the Strega. Commercial levers are super convenient to use - put on timer and just walk up and pull a shot. Ideally they should be put on a timer and can be let idle for a long period no problem. The smaller levers are meant to be on only when you need it, and needs more effort from your part to drive.

If you had enjoyed the ease of use & convenience of a commercial lever, going back to a home lever can be a step down (for me at least I can never go back, though I still enjoy using a small lever occasionally)..

If you can sell the Strega and spring for the Profitec/Londinium, that'd probably be what I would do..

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 »

I think the Londinium and Profitec are (arguably) upgrades compared to the Strega. The other levers you listed are not upgrades. Other than the electrical component failure, why are you wanting to change away from the Strega?
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

subq (original poster)

#5: Post by subq (original poster) »

Main reason is that it is a pain to work on (for me). I've replaced the pressure gauge and a few other things internally and it's always tough to get to everything. The machine is probably overkill for us as we only pull 2-5 shots (doubles-triples) a day but it does a good job. I've actually gone to more "simple" tools over the years...(i.e. going from an electric grinder to an HG one). While not a lever, I'm actually kicking around the idea of getting a Rossa PG Brass Air Espresso. My knee-jerk reaction is to just buy a Profitec Pro 800 because I really like the design, but I really don't want to spend the money on it...even if I was albe to sell the Strega. :)
LMWDP #357

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by pizzaman383 »

If simpler is what you want but still want a spring lever then I think that the Elektra is worth considering.

I am surprised that you had to work on the Strega so much. Did you get a lemon?
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by RockyIII »

Mike mentioned a Strietman CT1, and I agree. For a different lever experience than a spring and for very precise and easy brew temperature control, I highly recommend it.

Rocky

subq (original poster)

#8: Post by subq (original poster) »

I don't think it's a lemon. However, I ordered the Strega when it was just announced and I have worked on it quite a bit. Right out of the gate I had to replace a piece on the inside because apparently they over-tightened a nut at the factory and when I turned the machine on (brand new) water would start running out of the machine on the bottom. I had to replace something in the group head after that and I had to replace the gauge recently (it filled up with water and stopped working). I think the machine is fine but I'm not a fan of working in really small spaces these days (when I do have to work on it). In addition, we only average 3-4 shots a day now so it's a bit of overkill.

I'm actually not opposed to a direct level but the "geek" in me would want some sort of pressure gauge so I could see what I'm pulling. Due to the mention in this thread, I'm strongly considering the Strietman CT1. Half the shots we pull are milk based so we would need to find something to cover the steaming end. It appears they have a pretty big lead time as well. They have a stainless steel inside dome version that I don't see (yet) mentioned much in the threads. I'm reading through the CT1 posts on the forum.
LMWDP #357