Brew grinder, budget <$1,000 USD - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ira
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by ira »

BSdV wrote: But what's been happening lately is that it won't run.. something is making noise inside but the burrs are not rotating..
This happened when I was abroad for work.

Hope I'll be able to fix it and that is does better for espresso.
Sounds like it might be a dying motor start capacitor which should be an easy inexpensive fix. But try appliance stores for that part. Last time I needed one, the best place I found was a wholesale HVAC supply, $5 instead of the $20 or more I could find online.

Ira

BSdV

#12: Post by BSdV »

Hmm, that could be happening as well and would indeed be an inexpensive fix..
thanks, hadn't thought of that.

Ben

JB90068
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JB90068 »

I have Mignon XL that I have used for espresso and with an Aeropress. I tend to grind on the fine side and am happy to offer you my thoughts on it if you would like.
Head of lifestyle maintenance.

MikeTheBlueCow (original poster)

#14: Post by MikeTheBlueCow (original poster) » replying to JB90068 »

Thanks, yes I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts in respect to the AeroPress brewing and how you feel it performs for that in comparison to how well you feel it performs for espresso. And any general thoughts you'd like to add would be welcome.

JB90068
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by JB90068 » replying to MikeTheBlueCow »

What I like:
-It's compact and doesn't take up much space on the counter.
-It's quiet.
-Hardly ever feel that I need to RDT the beans.
-It is clean - doesn't spray the coffee all over the place.
-It's has very low retention if you are single dosing with a bellows. After running roughly 5 lbs of medium roast beans through it, cleaning it thoroughly and weighing what I pulled out, it retained just under 2 grams.

-It's pretty easy to clean. The first time took me a half an hour, but with practice, I'm sure it would take less.
-If you want to convert it to single dosing, there are lots of custom options on Etsy available. In my estimation, this grinder does not need a stand to tilt it forward. It is a very low retention grinder standing vertically.
-It looks good compared to many of the grinders on the market. I place function ahead of form, but looks do matter. My wife thinks it looks better than what I upgraded to.

What I don't like:
-It's stepless and has a small dial to change the burrs settings. I didn't think this would bother me when I bought it, but the more I used it where I was changing grind settings between different beans and processes, it just didn't feel precise.
-The portafilter holder is pretty lame if you are using a bottomless PF. I took it off and used a dosing cup. Problem solved.
-It's not variable speed and the rpm's are set at 1400.
-If I ground 3 shots worth of beans (3 x 18g each) back to back, the third shot was getting warm. I'm not knowledgable enough to say if this affected the flavor or not.
-The silicone mat and tamping station is poorly designed. The mat is a pain to clean because the fines stick to it and it needs to be rinsed off. The tamping station won't hold a portafilter and allow you to work hands free. I got rid of both right away. Without the mat, the grinder does jump a bit when you start it.
-The biggest negative is that for me, it didn't pull all the flavor nuances out of the beans. I didn't realize this until I bought a much higher end grinder and after doing side by side comparisons, I found there was a night and day flavor difference between the two.

Overall it's a "nice" grinder and will work well for pour over use. For espresso and if you do a fine grind for an Aeropress, it's nice as well. If you are looking for an endgame grinder, depending on how demanding your palate is, this may or may not be the one for you. After owning it about a month and running roughly 10 lbs of beans through it primarily for espresso, I decided to upgrade to a Weber EG-1. Here is why: I was trying to get the same flavors that the cafe that I go to offers me. They roast the beans in house that I've been using and I just couldn't get the same results that they were. I got sort of kind of close and spoke with the guy that does all the roasting a bunch of times to see what I was doing wrong. With the EG-1, I'm able to duplicate the espresso that I get at the cafe. That said, I think I can further refine what I'm doing and pull even better shots down the road. I'll keep the comparison between the XL and the EG-1 just to the flavors. Comparing the different features of the two would be unfair and irrelevant to your needs.

To sum it all up: This is a quality grinder and at it's price point, it is very good. It has some very nice features.From what I can tell it is well built and Eureka has an excellent reputation for making reliable and nicely designed grinders. Does it compare to a grinder that is four times more expensive? Absolutely not. Should it be? Not at all.
Head of lifestyle maintenance.