Breville Smart Grinder needs replacement after 8 years

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
coffeeguyCT

#1: Post by coffeeguyCT »

I really like this thing but I'm now regularly getting a high pitched whine and no rotation of the burr, suspect stripped gear or other driveline issue. I have a 3D printer and usually fix all my own stuff but just don't have the time now. I suspect I'll order a new one but figured I ought to ask if anything else in its price range is worth a look? I use it with my similarly long serving Gaggia Classic.

Thanks
Rus

luvmy40

#2: Post by luvmy40 »

Other than a quality manual grinder, you're not likely to find anything as good, much less better than the SGP in the $200 price range. The fact that yours lasted 8 years is heartening. I had decent results with one short term but had no long term information.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

coffeeguyCT wrote:I really like this thing but I'm now regularly getting a high pitched whine and no rotation of the burr, suspect stripped gear or other driveline issue. I have a 3D printer and usually fix all my own stuff but just don't have the time now. I suspect I'll order a new one but figured I ought to ask if anything else in its price range is worth a look? I use it with my similarly long serving Gaggia Classic.

Thanks
Rus

Where-about in New England are you? I'd assume Connetticut.

[FS] 2020 Baratza Sette 270wi (Boston)

coffeeguyCT (original poster)

#4: Post by coffeeguyCT (original poster) »

CT Indeed thanks for the link.

coffeechan

#5: Post by coffeechan »

I'd look into the entry level Mignon Manuale/Notte too if you can live without a timer. It'll be a step up in build and grind quality.

#6: Post by coffeeguyCT (original poster) »

I've found the repeatability the #1 thing. That and grinding straight into the portafilter. Otherwise its all just too much work for an amateur like me.

Despite my complaining I am going to open the damn thing up. It just violates some core principal of mine not to at least try to fix it.

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

After eight years, the burrs in a light-duty, home grinder may be due for replacement. At least last time I looked, you couldn't buy both the upper and lower burr for that grinder.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
luisguilherme
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by luisguilherme »

If repairing is your thing, I think you can't go wrong with a Baratza, unless you require much more quality (but IMHO a Baratza Sette 270 is a step up in quality from the SGP; The Wi has more tech, so more things to go wrong, though)

slipchuck

#9: Post by slipchuck »

Bezzera bb005 around $360US

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

#10: Post by coffeeguyCT (original poster) »

Turns out the issue was the gear driven directly by the motor. Plastic teeth wore or melted.