Breville Oracle - The One?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JayBeck

#1: Post by JayBeck »

I'm about to say something crazy and sacrilegious to many, but after watching Chris Baca's long term review with the Breville Oracle I'm sitting here thinking: How much better does a $2500 Monolith and a $3,000 E61 DB really taste (plus tampers, tamp stations, wdt tools, etc)? Think of all the counter top space you can save.

I've had a Breville before and listening to the sounds in the video did not bring back great memories. But having a machine my wife could use that likely makes as good a cup as what I do (with all the videos and reading I've done) makes me laugh thinking: have we all just over thought this?

Seriously. Unless we deem the time, space, money a hobby and worth a certain value to offset the cost of our beloved equipment that's one thing. But if we are seeking really awesome coffee consistently, then it sounds like you can get pretty amazing espresso with a few quick button presses with this machine I overlooked years ago

Thoughts?

desmodici

#2: Post by desmodici »

Not sacrilegious at all in my opinion. I think it's great that there are different choices depending on your specific priorities and needs. This is a great option for someone with limited counter space, limited interest in espresso as a hobby, multiple family members at different skill levels, looking for ease of use etc etc.

On the flip side, I don't think those of us that appreciate Monoliths and e61s have overthought it, we just may have different priorities/requirements. Espresso for us is a hobby, not just a drink.
I personally wouldn't be excited to use this every morning and don't have faith that the Oracle will last more than 10 years before needing (wanting) a replacement, but I am excited to use my current setup every morning and do foresee both lasting a very long time, 20-30+ years, even longer, or until I get bored (i.e. In the long run I feel my setup is cheaper, even if the Oracle did excite me)

Breville has done an excellent job at making quality espresso accessible to the masses and coming up with respectable solutions for different types of users at various budgets.

JayBeck (original poster)

#3: Post by JayBeck (original poster) replying to desmodici »

We'll said!

I wouldn't give it 3 years based on how the BDB threads go. And I agree that this solution is not something that would be exciting after a while. I've been doing my Pro 500 every morning for 6 months and I still sit and stare at it, lol.

Chris owning his own coffee shop has a different perspective than I ever will (office / sales job). For me it is my morning calm before the storm. His storm is coffee so making it simple at home adds value.

So all different sorts of people can love the machine for different reasons.

mathof

#4: Post by mathof »

He says that the Oracle can make good, but not geat espresso. How many of us on this forum would be satisfied with that?

Also, a fixed dose of 22g makes me shudder. That's a triple(!) dose by the Italian standards. I pull 7g singles and 14-15g doubles myself.

On the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to recomend the Oracle to friends who want decent espresso and pleasant cappuccino at home at a reasonsble cost and without much bother.

Matt

#5: Post by JayBeck (original poster) »

mathof wrote:He says that the Oracle can make good, but not geat espresso. How many of us on this forum would be satisfied with that?

Also, a fixed dose of 22g makes me shudder. That's a tripple(!) dose by the Italian standards. I pull 7g singles and 14-15g doubles myself.

On the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to recomend the Oracle to friends who want decent espresso and pleasant cappuccino at home at a reasonsble cost and without much bother.

Matt
He said was that it will make better espresso than you'll get in a coffee shop unless they have $20,000+ machines (Strada, Slayer, etc) and if those niche third wave shops don't have a skilled Barista you still may do better. You make it sound as if he was calling it mediocre at best. That's not at all the gist of the review.

mathof

#6: Post by mathof »

I think he was exaggerating the cost of the equipment needed to get more out of well-roasted, specialty beans. Assuming you have the requisite skills, I'm sure the equipment you list on your profile will allow you to make far tastier espressos from a wider range of beans and roasts than the Oracle's limited parameters permit.

Matt

#7: Post by JayBeck (original poster) replying to mathof »

Maybe. I was shocked when I saw Chris's glowing review, knowing the respect he has with his business and following.