Breville Dual Boiler vs Barista Express - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Valo_Soul (original poster)

#11: Post by Valo_Soul (original poster) »

So, after much debate and research - I have ordered a Breville Dual Boiler, Eureka Atom, VST 18 and 22 gram baskets, bottomless PF and a palm tamper + distribution tool.

Party!

HH

#12: Post by HH »

Great work! I agree it's an excellent choice and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Let us see some pictures of your set up when it arrives!

#13: Post by Valo_Soul (original poster) replying to HH »

Thank you! I definitely will report back.

New2Barista

#14: Post by New2Barista »

Well, the dual boiler is faster, but you lose your grinder... Have you tried to foam the milk first and then make your espresso next, so it is as hot as possible ?
I would care the less on a dual boiler as you only gain a little time... but the display with more settings do look tempting and you get more cup space !
And the price is much higher than on the one you have now ! But it is your money... :shock:

HH

#15: Post by HH »

New2Barista wrote: I would care the less on a dual boiler as you only gain a little time... but the display with more settings do look tempting and you get more cup space !
And the price is much higher than on the one you have now ! But it is your money... :shock:
I have to disagree with your post here - the BDB gives gains far greater than merely time.
As has already been said it is incredibly temperature stable, with a PID in the grouphead to ensure consistency.
More excitingly, it allows one to alter preinfusion pressures and times, and (as I did only this evening) change extraction pressures quickly and easily. I fancied trying a shot pulled at 92'C and 6bar as opposed to my usual 94'C and 9bar. In around ten seconds I had made the alterations, and can change it back just as quickly. There's no need for messing with gicleurs or scace monitoring, everything is there in easily-adjustable reach.
I can't think of any other machine at this price point that offers such a wealth of features at such a reasonable price point. It does more than most, including excellent mid-level machines like the Linea Mini, which retail for over three times as much.
I have only scratched the surface of what makes this such a great machine, have a read of some of the excellent posts by Peter Russell if you want to really get to grips with all its bells and whistles.

#16: Post by Valo_Soul (original poster) replying to HH »

This really does get me pumped up to receive my new machine! One question I couldn't find the answer to: what is the temperature range for extraction? The barista express allows +\- 4 degrees Fahrenheit from the base temperature. Is the BDB the same?

JayBeck

#17: Post by JayBeck replying to Valo_Soul »

BDB is set via a digital PID. It has a triple heating system with a PID on the brew boiler, PID on the steam boiler, and an actively heated grouphead. Water flows from the tank, through a Heat Exchanger tube in the steam boiler to preheat water prior to entering the brew boiler. The brew boiler sits on top of the group so there is very little heat loss (if any). This 'trifecta' allows the BDB to be among the most accurate machines in the world for temperature. You set it and you will get within 1 degree every time. This is GS3 / LMLM temp accuracy.

The thermoblock Breville machines (aka Barista Express) have much more tolerance on the set temperature. I would assume it tries to get you to 200F but its range is going to be greater than 1F as it doesn't have the triple heating system. The +/- 4F are really just to help adjust taste. It's just not going to be as accurate by design.

I can't recall the total temperature range of the BDB but it should be somewhere around 187-205F.

#18: Post by Valo_Soul (original poster) replying to JayBeck »

Excellent information - thank you!!

#19: Post by Valo_Soul (original poster) »

Ok... now I'm officially excited.

#20: Post by Valo_Soul (original poster) »

:) -