Breville BES920XL price increase

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CarlG

#1: Post by CarlG »

Hi, it seems that the Breville BES920XL dual boiler espresso machine has increased in price by $200 a few months ago. Any idea what that's about? Has this happened to all machines? Should i hold out for Black Friday deals on this?

Thanks

Miketee

#2: Post by Miketee »

Looks around HARD. I scored a BDB (920xl) last week for $1200. It was in a small shop in NH. It was their only one in stock, and red, but for $1200 I would have got rainbow color. No tax charged to Indiana and $50 shipping. They were the sweetest ladies to deal with. It replaced a 12 year old $2400 Vivaldi 2 (which was msrp when they first came out). Aside from the noise and constant filling, which isn't really that big of deal, it blows the Vivaldi away. I found this deal on page 6 of google.

I have not done the million mods that are available as I only drink Paradise Roasters Esprssso Neuvo, but some day I may venture out to the SO realm. I spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours in different beans and I could not get a decent pull from the Vivaldi aside from my go to Espresso Neuvo. In order to do Single Orgin light roasts I will have to mod the BDB, but in its stock form my shots are consistently much better than what the Vivaldi was able to produce. The only thing I did was lower the temp to 200F and set the clock. The preinfusion comes set perfect for a darker roast. I did get and suggest a naked portafilter and new tamper. I got the $40 35# one on ebay and while it works, the spring is inconsistent. With 12 years tamping experience I can account for this. I am waiting on a levatamp or Bravo to come in stock at 58.5mm. Once in hand I'm certain God shots will be the norm.

Just keep in mind your grinder is more important than your espresso machine. I use an HG-One which was $1000 but it rivals electric versions costing 3 times as much. I made the mistake of spending $700 on what I read at the time to be the best sub $1000 electric grinder and I couldn't pull a consistent good shot to save my life. It now grinds coffee machine beans to order and does a good job at it. It's worthless for the fines though.

CarlG

#3: Post by CarlG »

Thanks, thats good info. I was looking at the mini Vivaldi II. Guess ill hold out for a few hundred off the BDB. Have a Ascaso Dream PID now which is good except i dont like that i need cooling flushes with a PID. I need things dumbed down.

grufromtheloo

#4: Post by grufromtheloo »

For my US brothers/sisters south of the border, have you tried ordering the BDB from Canada? Idrinkcoffee.com has them on sale frequently for $1399 CAD which is currently about $1068 USD with the exchange. No idea on shipping/import costs.

https://idrinkcoffee.com/collections/br ... so-machine

EDIT just found this on their site
We ship to the United States free of charge and all of our items are delivered without duties or taxes.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

That's a great sale for Canadians.

At least as I read it, they're not permitted to offer that pricing to US customers. "Please note that we cannot ship Breville products outside of Canada"

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by baristainzmking »

grufromtheloo wrote:For my US brothers/sisters south of the border, have you tried ordering the BDB from Canada? Idrinkcoffee.com has them on sale frequently for $1399 CAD which is currently about $1068 USD with the exchange. No idea on shipping/import costs.

video

EDIT just found this on their site
They will not ship to U.S.
Edited to add:I guess I should read before I post. Not enough coffee yet!
Julia

new2espresso

#7: Post by new2espresso »

Miketee wrote:Looks around HARD. I scored a BDB (920xl) last week for $1200. It was in a small shop in NH. It was their only one in stock, and red
than your espresso machine. I use an HG-One which was $1000 but it rivals electric versions costing 3 times as much. I made the mistake of spending $700 on what I read at the time to be the best sub $1000 electric grinder and I couldn't pull a consistent good shot to save my life. It now grinds coffee machine beans to order and does a good job at it. It's worthless for the fines though.
Off topic, but glad to see someone else here with a BDB from Indy. Looking forward to hearing what parameters you use for shots and what coffees your liking on your BDB.
Kind regards,
Karan

grufromtheloo

#8: Post by grufromtheloo »

Jeff wrote:That's a great sale for Canadians.

At least as I read it, they're not permitted to offer that pricing to US customers. "Please note that we cannot ship Breville products outside of Canada"

That's brutal! Good find though. If anyone trusts me enough with their $$$ happy to freight forward at cost + shipping. :)

EDIT: of course then there is tax so 1580 CAD / 1206 USD + shipping from my place :)

Miketee

#9: Post by Miketee »

new2espresso wrote:Off topic, but glad to see someone else here with a BDB from Indy. Looking forward to hearing what parameters you use for shots and what coffees your liking on your BDB.
That's awesome Karan. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have 12 years experience with my Vivaldi and got this dialed in to perfection with a pound of coffee. I will be modding this sometime in the near future. I am going to use the rotary pump out of my Vivaldi 2. As I am sure you are aware, don't try and use any local roasters as you will be highly disappointed.

I highly recommend a water filtration system too. I have a RODI for my saltwater tank. Before the DI I am at 47 TDS which is too low for coffee. I got a Mavia system from Chris Coffee and have been using it for about 5 years. Its a worthwhile investment. What sucks is that it a all British plumbing but Chris can sell you all the proper John Guest fittings to get it working with our water systems.

Iowa_Boy

#10: Post by Iowa_Boy »

On the Breville website they sell a remanufactured BES920XL for $899. It currently is out of stock, but they do have a notify option to get an email when they have more. No idea how often they are available, but that's a great price.