Big budget home espresso grinder? (UK) - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BodieZoffa

#11: Post by BodieZoffa »

aliced wrote:pardon me, but what's wrong with "average boring South American choco-nut bean"? :lol:
Totally agree as I source certain greens that I roast to bring out those specific notes. I find the fruit/berry bomb craze boring/weak/thin and just won't cut it for my espresso requirements/expectations. Great thing with coffee is there is an endless amount of possibilities with greens, roast development, machines, grinders, etc. that there is no right/wrong, just what works for each of us.

ira
Team HB

#12: Post by ira »

The EG-1 is a great choice, probably not one you'll ever regret. I'd guess the biggest advantage of a Monolith over an EG-1 at the moment is the burrs. Dennis seems to be doing things with burrs others aren't and the only way to get them is to own a Monolith. If in fact they are better, surprising that we've not heard much about that yet, then that's something to think about. At least until someone copies them or starts experimenting with similar ideas. The one downside seems to be speed, the Shuriken burrs are reported to be slow, again, not a lot of feedback here yet, and not much problem for home single dosing.

Ira

Drekly (original poster)

#13: Post by Drekly (original poster) »

go with a LeverCraft WDT tool
For WDT, I use a corn fork similar to this - it seems to do that exact same thing, and we found it in our drawer one day!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Famure-Barbe ... /648880860 (EDIT: they look exactly like this:https://www.dhgate.com/product/forks-st ... 83685.html)
Unless you're recording from the scale over Bluetooth
My wife got me a Lunar for my birthday in November! It was very well received!
force/bravo tampers
Noted. I currently use a manual tamper and that's fine for now. I bought a Normcore v3 and it was absolutely useless. I might as well not have tamped! Those Bravos do look nice - I wonder if I can get one in the UK.
pardon me, but what's wrong with "average boring South American choco-nut bean"? :lol:
Absolutely nothing! That's why I thought I'd mention I often drink these, as they may not need as much nuance in the grinder, even if they are delicious. I'm always showing my friends all these different light roasted fruit-note coffees, but the old faithful medium roast South American choco-nut stays in the house for a daily cup, no matter what! It still sits as my favourite daily, but I also like to branch out and have different flavours week-to-week.
I tried something like bean cellars. Couldn't pre-measure out beans consistently enough that they were useful. The bean counter is not my cup of tea either.
I'm tempted to just get in touch with Weber and say "send me the EG-1, ultra burrs, Bean counter and Bean cellar"! What would you say are the drawbacks? Currently I weigh/grind 18g into an acaia dosing cup, shake it into my pf, level, tamp and pour.
advantage of a Monolith over an EG-1 at the moment is the burrs
Yeah, I've been eyeing up those huge flat max burrs! It's just so utilitarian, and the 80mm seems like a really good middle ground between the 98mm and 75mm from the monos (I keep telling myself). I would love to try the 98mm just to see what a difference it makes!