Bezzera Duo - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BlackSun

#31: Post by BlackSun »

I am also very curious about new Bezzera. But the model with Bezzera group. In the description it is stated that it comes with programable PI, but is there any more info? Can you set the duration, and how long, what is the pressure of the PI and can it be changed?
If anybody can give more details it would be appreciated.

Vashal

#32: Post by Vashal »

I contacted Bezzera asking about the preinfusion setting at the DE model (bz group) and I got the following answer:
Preinfusion is factory set at 1 second ,but is adjustable from a minimum of 0 to a maximum of 5 seconds.
During the preinfusion time ,the pump is always on.It is the solenoid valve that closes and opens again after the period of time set as ''preinfusion time'' by the menu, allowing the water to get to the coffee puck and the extraction to continue.
As far as what I have understood ,during the PI no water pressure gets to the coffee puck even though the pump is on .

Advertisement
lancealot

#33: Post by lancealot »

I don't have a detailed understanding of these hydraulic systems but it sounds to me like maybe hard pre-infusion?

When this thing came out I was about line up and buy one. I am thankful that there was a delay. Now I am eagerly awaiting to see some hands-on with it before I make my decision.

One thing that caught my eye was that vacuum breaker valve on the steam boiler. I think it is one of those that vents to the machine that could spray water on the internals. Those wiring harnesses are awfully close to that valve if that is the case. It will need to be replaced with one that has a tube that directs the moisture to the drip tray.

Kryptonicspb

#34: Post by Kryptonicspb »

That's an interesting observation ^^
Im curious to hear more on that

Kryptonicspb

#35: Post by Kryptonicspb »

Another observation, the matrix just bumped up again. By a couple hundred

1st-line
Sponsor

#36: Post by 1st-line »

Rpld wrote:Thanks Jim, look forward to hearing your review!
So far, we got some sold.

Another shipping today. Steam temp programming maximum is 130 d C or about 266 d F. There is a 2 hole tip on the machine and I do not see any issues with achieving a rolling froth with a 12 or 20 ounce pitcher. 33 ounce and larger may have an issue, and maybe the priority of electricity to the steam boiler MAY help with the larger pitchers.

Some of the issues I am reading about with these double boilers for steaming are

a) Yes, need for increased steam boiler temperature which does create a hotter environment inside the machine. Yes, thermal insulation helps, but the some of the boiler and pipes are exposed with heat dissipation. Electronics don't like heat.

b) Steam tip - you will see a lot of 2 hole tips because its part of the equation of capacity vs recovery with a 110 volt heating element vs throughput of the tip. Another part of the equation is the ID of the no-burn wand is usually about 50% less than the standard wand.

back to the Matrix and DUO.... machine filled itself in about a minute... remember to run water through the grouphead to insure the coffee boiler refills....touch screen is super easy to use. Temp changes so easy. Display is protected with a stainless covering on the backside. Electronics nicely tucked away on left side of machine on an internal board which is easily removable by removing the two screws on the bottom of the machine. Bezzera even put in extra wiring so the entire assembly of electronics can be pulled outwards of the machine.

My pet peeve.... when refilling the reservoir while in the machine, some splashing may occur. The splashing can get inside the plexiglass. There is a little space near the top on both sides where splashing can dribble inside the plexiglass. More to come...
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

1st-line
Sponsor

#37: Post by 1st-line »

lancealot wrote:One thing that caught my eye was that vacuum breaker valve on the steam boiler. I think it is one of those that vents to the machine that could spray water on the internals. Those wiring harnesses are awfully close to that valve if that is the case. It will need to be replaced with one that has a tube that directs the moisture to the drip tray.
I would agree about the vacuum breaker valve. Not so much about the wiring, but the discoloration that can occur from the water and the damage to the insulation.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

Advertisement
1st-line
Sponsor

#38: Post by 1st-line »

Kryptonicspb wrote:Another observation, the matrix just bumped up again. By a couple hundred
Please understand that prices have been going up on equipment for the last several months. Part of this is from the higher exchange rate. Part is from the increased shipping and import fees.

And, in this case, as I advised ya over the phone when we spoke, was the pricing was based on the lower UPS/FedEx ground shipping costs. No double boiler machine should be shipped via UPS or FedEx ground common carrier because the likelihood of damage is great! After evaluation, these machines arrive from Bezzera on a machine pallet with a box, and after our inspection of every Bezzera double boiler espresso machine, we place this on a much larger pallet for safe transport.

So, shipping costs will increase from an average of $110-120 to over $350. This extra shipping costs was not factored until the machine arrived into our warehouse for shipping evaluation. One of the units shipping today is costing us over $400 for residential delivery with a liftgate.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

Kryptonicspb

#39: Post by Kryptonicspb »

I appreciate the honest feedback about the internals Jim. I have noticed machine prices increase but in my initial email to Bezzera, I'd made a comment about the great value the duo/matrix was compared to other dual boilers, as I saw on your site a couple months ago. I guess timing of those factors you went over all hit at once, maybe that means I should ask more for my used v2b now, because I still am leaning toward the Matrix. Please post some of those videos when your photographer gets back. I have a feeling you will give it to us strait. Thanks again

1st-line
Sponsor

#40: Post by 1st-line replying to Kryptonicspb »

I would agree. Used equipment prices tend to go up when prices of new equipment goes up.

Our professional videographer, who also works for some huge movie production studios, is currently on a longer than expected assignment in Philadelphia. As soon as his project is over, we will ramp up our videos on this great double boiler machine.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC