Bezzera BZ13 (used) + Bezzera BB005 vs Nuova Simonelli Oscar II (new) + Eureka Mignon

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Aredhouse

#1: Post by Aredhouse »

Hi!

After lurking and reading a lot on this forum it's starting to getting closer to actually getting a machine too.
As 80% of the time it will be used by me and my girlfriend to do lattes in the morning I decided to save up so I know can get a cheapish heat exchanger rather than starting with a single boiler.

Now I have two options (the market for used espresso machines isn't that great here):
- a new Oscar II with installed OPV with Eureka Mignon grinder
or
- a used Bezzera BZ13 with Bezzera BB005 grinder

The Oscar has a "real" E61 group while the BZ13 has Bezzera own group (as far as I understand) which might be better?
The Bezzera has pressure gauge and PID.

So what's your thoughts? The Oscar combo costs about $120 more than the used Bezzera.

Thank you for you thoughts!
//Martin

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I don't believe oscar ii uses an e61. Regardless, all those machines are popular and I don't think you'll find consensus on which is a better setup to be honest. Real issue is whether you know the BZ13 was well taken care of. If you don't know for sure, then I would go with the new oscar. If you know BZ13 was well taken care of, then I would go with whichever will put a bigger smile on your face every time you look at it.

Advertisement
Aredhouse (original poster)

#3: Post by Aredhouse (original poster) »

Thank you for you reply and advice. Then it probably will be the Oscar II as this looked less geeky according to my girlfriend :)