Bezzera BZ10 vs Lelit PL62

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
tunkejazz

#1: Post by tunkejazz »

I live in Europe and I am somewhat torn between buying a BZ10 or a PL62. Both are relatively small (a must given the size of my kitchen) and I can pretty much get them for the same price.

It is the head group that is somewhat troubling me. I have read that Bezzera shots have better clarity over body. Does it mean that I cannot pull a dense 'creamy' shot from the BZ10?

The PL62 is a tiny bit smaller and it is E61. Build quality 'seems' a bit better in the BZ10, but I can hardly tell.

I will pair the machine with a Quamar Q50.

Any thoughts?

tunkejazz (original poster)

#2: Post by tunkejazz (original poster) »

Upps, I apologize for originally posting in the wrong section (Espresso Machines).

DeGaulle

#3: Post by DeGaulle »

Due to the extra lag in pressure ramp-up (pre-infusion), the E61 group is a bit more forgiving to errors in distribution. As they say, your best shots will be more frequent, although it does not necessarily result in a better "best shot".
The BZ10 is probably more sensitive to updosing as well due to lower head space.
That doesn't mean the BZ10 can't produce a nice syrupy creamy shot. I feel it depends on the beans you use. I have come across some full City roasted beans that I can pull shots from that are creamy down to the bottom of the cup instead of the top layer only.
Bert

#4: Post by tunkejazz (original poster) »

Thanks for the info!
Yes, that is what I had read in many different posts. I don't think I need to updose, I can get a triple shot one if needed.
I think my main concern is that I have also read that people upgrade to similarly priced E-61 machines from BZXX.

The PL62 looks very cute and it is virtually identical in features but the head is E-61. Steaming power seems to be overwhelmingly high (which may be a problem!). I think I "almost" prefer the PL62, but I can get a substantial discount on the grinder if I buy it together with the BZ10, but not with the PL62 as I can only get it from a different shop.

BTW, I will be mostly doing cappuccinos and lattes.

CoffeeBar

#5: Post by CoffeeBar »

E61 Timeless brew group way to go for sure. you won't regret :D

DeGaulle

#6: Post by DeGaulle »

The E61 group plus Eric's thermometer assembly allows for a more precise tuning of the brew temperature, that may be why people choose to upgrade at some point. In my opinion, the BZ10 is better than "hit or miss" in this respect, but you will have to go by taste entirely.

If you are mainly preparing milk-based drinks, then taste effects of being a bit off in temperature will be largely softened out. I haven't used the Q50 grinder, but if you have settled on that one, I'd say go for the package deal with the BZ10 (not just because I happen to own one).
Bert

#7: Post by tunkejazz (original poster) replying to DeGaulle »

Thanks for the info once again!

BTW, is the boiler in the BZ10 isolated?

DeGaulle

#8: Post by DeGaulle »

No, it is not insulated.
Bert

Nissle

#9: Post by Nissle »

DeGaulle wrote:The E61 group plus Eric's thermometer assembly allows for a more precise tuning of the brew temperature, that may be why people choose to upgrade at some point. In my opinion, the BZ10 is better than "hit or miss" in this respect, but you will have to go by taste entirely.
I'm a biginner on the espresso scene and I'm thinking of buying the Bezzera BZ10 as my first mache but I'm also trying to wiegh up the pros and cons of the Bezzera/Elektra and E61 group head. Can you tell me the full name of the Eric's brew head thermometer please .

If you are mainly preparing milk-based drinks, then taste effects of being a bit off in temperature will be largely softened out. I haven't used the Q50 grinder, but if you have settled on that one, I'd say go for the package deal with the BZ10 (not just because I happen to own one).

Nissle

#10: Post by Nissle »

DeGaulle wrote:Due to the extra lag in pressure ramp-up (pre-infusion), the E61 group is a bit more forgiving to errors in distribution. As they say, your best shots will be more frequent, although it does not necessarily result in a better "best shot".
The BZ10 is probably more sensitive to updosing as well due to lower head space.
That doesn't mean the BZ10 can't produce a nice syrupy creamy shot. I feel it depends on the beans you use. I have come across some full City roasted beans that I can pull shots from that are creamy down to the bottom of the cup instead of the top layer only.
Does the E61 group head give you more variation in how much coffee can be used in the basket of the portafilter compared to the Bezzera group head.