Best Value Flat Burr Grinder?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mlunsford27

#1: Post by mlunsford27 »

Hi Folks,

I am looking for a flat burr grinder that will deliver good value in terms of grind quality/uniformity and single dosing. I currently use a Kinu M47 Traveler as a starter grinder paired with a Robot but have figured out I like lighter roasts and would like to upgrade my grinder.

I don't want to pay for a monolith flat, even if I could get ahold of one. Any recommendations on a grinder that will give good value and is more affordable than a monolith?

Thanks

pcrussell50

#2: Post by pcrussell50 »

Read this thread beginning to end: Baratza Vario owner experience

Cliff notes: great durability, easily aligned to Monolith specs, very good single doser, produces light roast grinds fine enough for flow profiling on par with an aligned Super Jolly with SSP burrs (this last bit you should re verify with Jake_G as he is the one with the Vario and the SSP Super Jolly, able to do direct comparisons).

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Advertisement
iBrew

#3: Post by iBrew »

Are looking for a brew or espresso grinder?

mlunsford27 (original poster)

#4: Post by mlunsford27 (original poster) »

I will be using the grinder almost exclusively for espresso but it is a plus if it is good for pourover as well.

pcrussell50

#5: Post by pcrussell50 »

Jake makes only espresso and only light roasts. Read the thread. Ask questions if any remain. You can swap between brew burrs and espresso burrs at will, without messing up the alignment.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mlunsford27 (original poster)

#6: Post by mlunsford27 (original poster) »

Thanks Peter, that is a very interesting thread, will look into it.

pcrussell50

#7: Post by pcrussell50 »

By way. Sorry if I came off blunt. I was hurrying out the door. Between Jake and I we can answer a lot, including in-cup comparisons with legends like Monolith Flat (which I also have), well known value grinders like Niche Zero, AND Jake's aligned Super Jolly updated to today's SSP burrs. I know you wanted single dosing, which the Super Jolly is not good at, BUT at the very least you can shake Jake down for some taste comparisons, which he is both good at, and honest.

-Peter
LMWDP #553